Thread: Expobar Impressions

Expobar Impressions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1174998710/0#2 date=1175001421
    Reach for the stars.

I love my Expobar.
    Hi Thundergod,

I am doing some in depth pre-purchase research on the Expobar and just finished reading
    http://www.home-barista.com/brewtus-...-epilogue.html

Very interesting indeed. I was wondering what your thoughts were on having the Expobar?

Cheers...

Re: KitchenAid Pro Series Espresso Maker

Interesting article.

I thought the Minore came with insulation now, so maybe they listened.

I wanted a basic but solid machine.
    Hence getting the Leva.
    The readout didnt interest me and 2mcm and I spoke a lot about my requirements.

I was originally looking at the Silvia/Rocky combo but as I had budget and an itch to scratch, I was happier with the Expobar/Macap result.

I find it as easy to use as I expected.

I have started flushing a little before pulling the shots, now that Im more aware of whats happening.
    As a process auditor Im all for consistency.

Ive gotten used to the ugly feet. They make it easy to clean under the machine.
    The huge drip dray makes cleaning less of a chore as it doesnt need constant emptying.

I bought the cup warming tray handles and now refilling with water isnt so bad as I can remove the tray even with 12 cups aboard.

Mind you, my wifes is more accepting of the machine now and draws water for her tea without hesitation. This means Im filling more frequently. *::)

And last night my son pointed out Id forgotten to adjust my timer for the daylight savings change as he was having to boil the kettle because the machine switched off early.

Things Id like:
    * A water level indicator or at least another light that comes on to say the machine has switched off due to low water level. The only indication I get now is the pressure guage dropping (if I notice).
    It only take a brief top up by the pump to draw a few drops from the tank and activate the cutout.
    This usually happens when you are away from the machine so you dont notice.

* Easier access to refill (needs the water level indicator for this to be practical).

* The new Minore steam tip. I struggle a bit with mine. The new one has a different configuration of the two holes.

Not much more I can say other than overall I am happy with the machine.
    More bang for your buck.
    It steams like crazy (see point above).
    It easily stays way ahead of my capabilities when making multiple coffees.
    If you didnt run out of water it could go non-stop.
    I havent had to make more than half a dozen or so drinks at a go at home at any recent gatherings so it will rarely be stretched to its limit.

I say rarely not never, because the other day it was tested.
    My wife made two teas just before I went to make myself a coffee.
    By drawing 400ml from the boiler, the refill with cold water was enough to drop the pressure for a about a minute afterwards and she wouldnt steam (Elena, my Exi, not the wife - Elena is Spanish for "The shiny one").

That was a rare occurence though and now that Im aware of it, not a problem.

I hope all that helps.

Any questions?

Re: KitchenAid Pro Series Espresso Maker

The article is 18 months old now. I think some of the stuff was incorporated into the Brewtus MKII (also known as the Expobar Minore II), which is the machine I have.

Show boiler overshoot in the digital controller *- Dunno

Temperature controller in Fahrenheit. This will require a PID controller - I think the temp gauge in celcius is just fine thanks!

Option for a rotary pump - I think you have to replace the pump (rotary) as part of the plumb in, so I gather it can be done.

Option to plumb in the machine; WholeLatteLove says its in the works, but there is no delivery date - I have read that this is possible with the MKII but as Im not planning it myself, I didnt read the article too thoroughly.

Increase the style factor; at a minimum, replace the drip tray with a more attractive one - Whilst the feet take a bit of getting used to (as TG said), I actually LIKE the drip tray and the EXPOBAR name on the front

Provide cup warmer tray handles - Brewtus MKII comes with these on the warming tray.

Bigger heat element on the steam boiler for stronger steam power, even if that means increasing the power requirement to 20 amps. Well I couldnt disagree more with that point. Plenty of steam IMO and happy that it works on standard power.

I have not checked the boilers in great detail, but have not noticed any insulation.

Main point for me - Im happy with it. *:D

Brett.

Re: Expobar Impressions

Thnx 4 the feedback. Anyone had any reliability issues with the Minore II?

As an alternative, what is the goss on La Spaziale S1? What price is this baby and how does it compare to the Minore II? Who sells it?

Check out the discussion at home barista for a machine comparison btw brewtus/minore II and S1 - http://www.home-barista.com/forums/expobar-brewtus-ii-vs-la-spaziale-s1-t1020.html

Have to admit that Im extremely content with my Minore II and even more content that if there was a problem with it Chris (2mcm) is only a few suburbs away!

Matt

I have had my Minore II for 6 days now, and I must say I am very happy with it (I also upgraded from a Silvia).

Good coffee just seems to happen - I am finding it really difficult to stuff it up. Compared to using the Silvia (where you seem to work hard for your coffee), this machine is so simple to use.

I have had my minore for 10 months now and I am loving it.
    I like the edgy industrial look but I can also see why some people would prefer the cleaner lines of the giottos.
    My only major disappointment with the machine is the lack of water level indication and the hassle of refilling the water.
    When I bought the machine I thought the adjustable brew temp was a bit of a gimmick. Now I cant live without it. That 1 or 2 degree difference can really bring the best out a bean.
    Steam power is more than enough for me. I havent settled on a steam tip yet, though.
    Making great coffee everyday is a breeze. It hasnt seen much heavy duty work but I ve made 8-10 caps in a row quite easily.

Regards
    Gavin

I have had mine for about 13 months now. *No problems at all. *If I was having to purchase another machine in that price range I would get the minore II. *i would also probably go with the rotary pump version to. *I think chris sells it. *Not sure if I would bother with plumbing the waste though as the tray is reasonably large so it would be just as easy to dump it when needed.

A proper cup rail would be nice addition. *I have plans to build one myself but just havent had time to get to it. Rotary would be a good addition too as the vibe pump is a little noisy.

Ive used a silvia and ecm boticelli a little bit of late at relatives houses. *The standout difference for me between the silviia, botticelli and Minore is definitely the size and feel. *you seem to have more room with the minore and it feels much more solid. *Which I suppose is a given as it weights about 35kg and is a lot bigger (plus its double the price so at the end of the day its not a fair comparison). *However, at the time of purchase it wasnt really a point i had considered.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by pszilard link=1175030586/0#3 date=1175070665
    Thnx 4 the feedback. Anyone had any reliability issues with the Minore II?

As an alternative, what is the goss on La Spaziale S1? What price is this baby and how does it compare to the Minore II? Who sells it?
    Hi Paul- I have used the La Spaziale and its a very good machine. Non conventional 53 mm baskets and extremely good temp control. It lives in the next category up tho ;)

The vibe pump model is single boiler, tank HX and the twin boiler is rotary and plumb in at the mid $3k mark. Probably overkill for a home enviroment IMHO...

I can get hold of them- I reckon a plumber Minore II represents better bang for buck but the LaSpaz has it on performance and build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinto link=1175030586/0#7 date=1175171290
    as it weights about 35kg and is a lot bigger
    35Kg sounds a bit heavy Clint, I would have thought 25Kg would pull one of these up..... Maybe with full boilers it could stretch to 29Kg :P

Mal.

A Leva weighs about 25kg with a full boiler and reservoir.

Only another few kg for the 2nd boiler surely?

So I agree with Mals calcs.

ok probably my mistake. I had always thought it weighed that based on the courier complaining about the 45kg he had to wheel around on his trolley when he delivered it with the mazzer (was all on one pallet). it is rather heavy all the same though.

He was probably after a tip.

TC

Without popping them on a scale, the lever is nowhere near as heavy as a Giotto (26 kilos)...

The makin is 18 kilos and I reckon the Leva is about the same. The Minore II is heavier than the Giotto...

I know coz I lift em all the time ;)

I had to summon superhuman strength to get mine on the counter - couldnt wait the couple of hours for my significant other to come home and help!