Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: Breville Oracle Owners Thread BES980XL

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Today the water fill door on the topof the machine won't open. When I push on it, it moves down but stays latched. Anyone else have this happen? I amhoping is something I can fix myself. Really don't want to have to send it in for something trivial.

Single Basket Surface Finish?
    Just upgraded from a BES870 to BES980. The inside surface of the single shot basket is a matte grey rather than the polished stainless appearance that I was expecting. Is this normal or a manufacturing defect? The basket works ok but the puck doesn't release very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasdj View Post
    Single Basket Surface Finish?
    Just upgraded from a BES870 to BES980. The inside surface of the single shot basket is a matte grey rather than the polished stainless appearance that I was expecting. Is this normal or a manufacturing defect? The basket works ok but the puck doesn't release very easily.

Not a design flaw mine is the same. I don’t use mine I can’t get a decent drink out of it. It’s a waste of metal.

Thanks for that; so a design flaw/feature rather than a manufacturing flaw... maybe they wanted a bit of a rough surface to stop the coffee slipping in the basket during tamping.

Yes the double basket gives better results; the single tends to under-extract but I can live with the results after setting grind a bit finer and upping the tamping force.

Yes, it’s not breville specific it is across the board generally except vst/la marzocco 7 g and maybe one or two more. Worth doing a search here as I’m sure I’ve recently read a thread talking about the pain single baskets are. There are good YouTube videos too, Chris baca made an informative video why single baskets have trouble yielding great results.

Quote Originally Posted by notslow View Post
    Today the water fill door on the top of the machine won't open. When I push on it, it moves down but stays latched. Anyone else have this happen? I am hoping this is something I can fix myself. Really don't want to have to send it in for something trivial.
    Maybe I'm the only one to have this happen. Been filling water from the rear, but this is getting to be a nuisance. This is the second Oracle I've had an issue with. First one stopped pumping water after less than a year. Either I'm having exceptionally bad luck or these aren't built so well.

I'm coming from a Delonghi Super Auto that made not so good espresso, but has been trucking along for nine years. Still works now, but hard to go back to the taste.

Breville Oracle

Was given one of these for Fathers Day last weekend. Today when I press the 2 cup it starts the pre-infusion and then stops at 5 seconds and the machine returns to standby.

any ideas whatís wrong?!

I just recently got my Oracle and all is wonderful except the hot water spout pours water so far back that in order to make an americano automatically I have to line up the cup perfectly so the shot pours out at very front of the cup and then the back of the cup has a chance to catch the hot water. Seems strange. I also noticed the 3 holes on the drip tray, which i'm assuming are for guidance of where the shot and water should pour. My shots line up perfectly with the 2 front holes, but the water is way off in the back. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arenton View Post
    Was given one of these for Fathers Day last weekend. Today when I press the 2 cup it starts the pre-infusion and then stops at 5 seconds and the machine returns to standby.

any ideas what’s wrong?!
    call breville 1300 ORACLE

Hi all,

Hoping you can help because a few hours of googling has not helped at all!

Got my Oracle yesterday and bought some Axil beans today, roasted 5 days ago. My perfect grind setting seems to be around 28-30 in terms of volume and consistency, but the issue I have been having is that the pour is starting wayyy early, about 5 seconds in (still in the pre-infusion stage!). I can turn the grind down to 20 and the pour starts around 7 seconds, but I get barely even a few drips at this grind setting - massively over extracted and I still can't get it to drop anywhere near the 9 to 14 second window!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this because I have yet to find anyone describe this same situation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

If your getting approximately 60ml in 25-30 seconds donít worry about it. Does it taste good? Thatís what matters.

i assume your using the double basket. Throw that single down the street
    Last edited by Hughie; 21st September 2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Added stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
    If your getting approximately 60ml in 25-30 seconds donít worry about it. Does it taste good? Thatís what matters.

i assume your using the double basket. Throw that single down the street
    Hi Hughie, appreciate the response!

I'm getting approx 60ml in 30 seconds, although I have no accurate way to measure it - I just know what looks right! Taste is good too, but I'm not an expert.

Single or double basket both start pour around 5-6 seconds in. Any ideas what could be causing this? Makes me think it's got something to do with the tamping settings or pre-infusion pressure, but I'm not game enough to mess with the settings! White glove service isn't in my area, but thinking I might take the machine to the parents or the in laws to get Breville's take on the situation.

Out of curiosity, what are your gripes with the single basket?

You can pickup cheap shot glasses online or from spotlight with measurements on them.
    I am atrocious at judging volume and tend to end up with too much.

By all means play around with the tamp pressure and time if you want. Just remember what the original settings are.
    the auto tamp is pretty shady at times on my machine even with regular cleaning. I have mine set on 1 02 and have a manual tamper nearby to clean the puck up if need be.

your default preinfusion should be 60 7 seconds. I have never touched mine

my grinder took many many kilos to break in and used to float around really bad when I first bought the machine

on average my shots normally drop in 7-9 seconds (never been above 10 iirc) with a naked portafilter but I am weighing my shots (aiming for 1:2 in 25-30 from first drop so my extraction would end up closer to 40 seconds)

if if you want consistency you will probably find you will have to grind a lot finer for a single basket than for the double to get a decent flavoured shot out of the machine.

I am sure there would be other oracle owners that feel differently to me but this is what’s worked for me
    Last edited by Hughie; 21st September 2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spulling

My 4 yr old oracle has just started acting very odd. It was already in need of a new 3 way solenoid because it had been very loud for the last year or so. Anyhow, yesterday the machine was off and a very loud pump sound started and wouldn't stop. Machine was powered OFF! the only way to stop it was to unplug the machine. Powering it on, pressing various buttons, factory reset, all did nothing. After unplugging for a few hours, the machine appeared to be acting normally once again. I was able to pull a single shot and then the problem started again. This time, along with the very loud constant pump noise, the machine continued to heat beyond the set point of 201 and pressing any of the brew buttons had the same effect as trying to press them before you reach brew temp. Then the machine started turning off by itself repeatedly. I think my machine is possessed. Is my main board toast? I'm well out of warranty at this point.

This looks to be a similar problem but I don't have a degree in electrical engineering to understand it I had a laugh Electrical/Electronic Issues - Breville 800ESXL Repair

Quote Originally Posted by nvrenuf View Post
    Hi guys

Had my Oracle for month over 2 years now. Been pretty good over this time.
    Only replaced the group head plastic filter once due to cracking.

But just last couple weeks I have noticed when doing the first pour. Normally water comes out at 9/10 secs
    but lately the first one doesn't start until 15 or so secs.

If i just run water first with nothing on it. and then put filter in and do second run. works fine and comes out at 9 secs.

also hearing a lot of boiling noises every min or so .

Then lately it's been shutting off couple times, which at the same time tripped my RCD in the house.
    Water temp went over my set 91c

My gut feeling seems like there is a blockage somewhere and it's over heating.

But don't know. I am going to call breville on Monday and see where service centre is etc.

But thought while I am waiting out the weekend, I would ask on here see if anyone else has had similar issues and what it might have been.

For note , this morning i turned it on made coffees no problems. But then turned it off. I suspect if i kept it on and tried to make more.
    It would have given same symptoms.

Thanks

Tim
    This seems to be a similar problem to the one I posted just above. I realize your post is from a couple years ago but did you find a solution?

Hi, long time lurker.

I'm in the US and my Oracle decided it didn't want to work well. Lots of gurgling noises sporadically and the pump was getting very noisy. Also noticed that the top of the machine got very hot, which I assumed meant a steam line leak. Checked my email archives for bought items and found that it was 23 months old. So a call to Breville solved all the problems.

Got the box and label from them and shipped it off for repair/refurb at no cost. Total time from call to receiving the machine back was 2 weeks. First thing I noticed was how much quieter the pump is so I'm assuming they put a new one in, the top doesn't get as hot as it was and no gurgling. Works just as new! I'm tickled pink!

Breville sent a one-cup filter back with it which I promptly put away. But I noticed that the one-cup is a tapered design and I thought the Oracle didn't like those, only the straight filters.

Hi guys,
    A wave through my floor to you all in Aus from up here in the States. I'm actually an Aussie who now lives here full time (8 yrs so far), man I miss Gloria Jeans I had a laugh.
    Anyway, I am posting here, because despite having had my own espresso machine for around 14 years, (differing ones throughout that time), I feel like I have finally "made it" I had a laugh. I am now the one week old proud owner of a Breville Oracle. My first machine was a sunbeam manual espresso machine, and I loved it, but then as time went on I learnt about auto machines and brought a Saeco and only sold that due to moving to the States. Once here, I bought a Delonghi Super Auto machine (Esam 3500), and I THOUGHT I had finally climbed to the top of the hill and "made it" as far as having a butt kicking machine!
    Sadly, i fairly soon realized that Super Auto machines just cant froth milk even half as good as I could do manually on my Sunbeam and Saeco, and so, eventually (after 7 yrs of making do), I sold it and bought the Oracle. I feel like I have just discovered the secret that I am sure most of you have known for years... just how damn good the oracle is!!! So, consider this post an introduction and a Hi and know I was so happy to find this forum, not only to meet fellow Oracle Owners, but fellow Australians who KNOW there is sooooooo much more to coffee than the brown dirty water that Starbucks over here try to pass off as "great coffee".

Hi Snobs,
    I"ve got a friend's Oracle which has an intermittent fault with auto-steam. Manual is fine. Auto works or doesn't or reports ERR SERVICE. Any input before I tear into it?

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Hi Snobs,
    I"ve got a friend's Oracle which has an intermittent fault with auto-steam. Manual is fine. Auto works or doesn't or reports ERR SERVICE. Any input before I tear into it?
    I had ERR SERVICE on screen also, but my whole machine was bricked. Had to send in to espresso fix Balwyn North, VIC.

I only tried to replace the steam wand tip too. I rate Breville Oracle as very touchy and delicate "appliances". Should have stuck with the BES920 I previously had.

Ended up not being so happy with its return condition, and getting a full replacement or refund. Now looking at Bezzera Domus with Mazer Mini Electronic grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by bojo View Post

Ended up not being so happy with its return condition, and getting a full replacement or refund. Now looking at Bezzera Domus with Mazer Mini Electronic grinder.
    Morning Bojo,

Cant help with your Breville problem.

Regarding your interest in the Bezzera and Mazzer combo, I've had a Domus Galatea for about 10 years, it has been and still is an excellent machine, easy to use, very good espresso and very reliable, have recently replaced a relay and over pressure valve, not bad after nine + years of use, its now performing like a new machine, Casa Espresso have them at the moment at $2500, great value for money in my opinion https://www.casaespresso.com.au/dome...s/bezzera.html

Re the Mazzer, very good grinder, robust and does an excellent job, however there are now other grinders well worth looking at, Compak and Macap both get good reviews.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Hi Snobs,
    Bit late, but if an Oracle shows Err on the screen and is non responsive from startup or becomes non responsive during use with Err on the screen, it's the milk temperature NTC in the steam wand that has failed.

The NTC's aren't replaceable and the entire wand assembly needs to be replaced. It's a reasonably big job, budget around $100-150 for the wand and 1 hour for installation.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Morning Bojo,

Cant help with your Breville problem.

Regarding your interest in the Bezzera and Mazzer combo, I've had a Domus Galatea for about 10 years, it has been and still is an excellent machine, easy to use, very good espresso and very reliable, have recently replaced a relay and over pressure valve, not bad after nine + years of use, its now performing like a new machine, Casa Espresso have them at the moment at $2500, great value for money in my opinion https://www.casaespresso.com.au/dome...s/bezzera.html

Re the Mazzer, very good grinder, robust and does an excellent job, however there are now other grinders well worth looking at, Compak and Macap both get good reviews.

Good luck which ever way you go.
    Bit of an update:

Returned the Breville Oracle for a full refund!
    I've picked up a Domus Galatea and Quamar Q50E, Pesado 58.5mm tamp from Bean Scene in Warragul, Victoria.

Ian was absolutely sensational to deal with, had all the time for me, compared machines, tested and described the functions of all within that range and type.

I'm absolutely wrapped with my machine, and am spending time tweaking and perfecting my espresso.

If anyone in regional Vic is looking to buy a nice coffee machine, it'd be well worth your time to check out Bean Scene in Warragul.

Last edited by bojo; 6th February 2019 at 10:03 PM.
    level3ninja likes this.

Hi to all, love reading through the forum! I've had my Oracle for around 2 years now, works great mostly. Two weird little things I'd like to check if there's sameness and resolutions:
    1. Despite using pre-filtered water in the reservoir and changing reservoir filter, I get white stuff floating on top -- I can see it through the front window. Completely cleaning, fresh water etc. it just comes back
    2. Sometimes (not always) it will kettle when heating up

Other than that, it's been consistently awesome! Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by bojo View Post
    Bit of an update:

Returned the Breville Oracle for a full refund!
    I've picked up a Domus Galatea and Quamar Q50E, Pesado 58.5mm tamp from Bean Scene in Warragul, Victoria.

Ian was absolutely sensational to deal with, had all the time for me, compared machines, tested and described the functions of all within that range and type.

I'm absolutely wrapped with my machine, and am spending time tweaking and perfecting my espresso.

If anyone in regional Vic is looking to buy a nice coffee machine, it'd be well worth your time to check out Bean Scene in Warragul.

Well done Bojo, enjoy your new machines.

When your organised pics would be good.

In USA...where to buy replacement solenoid for 980/Oracle?

I'm in USA. Looking to buy a replacement solenoid. Can't seem to find one online. My question is whether the solenoid for the 900/920 will work for the 980/Oracle? They look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nixter View Post
    Hey guys, even though my machine performs normally, I've had the following aggressive noise for close to a year now. The video isn't mine but the noise is identical. After some research it appears that the solenoid is acting up due to the gasket wearing out. The problem is that the solenoid and solenoid gasket kits all appear to be discontinued everywhere I look online. I read on one forum that it's because Breville has started using a different solenoid seeing as the issue was becoming so commonplace. Does anyone know anything about this or where I can source the parts I need to replace the solenoid? I have seen some for the BES900 and 920 but not the 980. I would think they share the same solenoid, no?

https://youtu.be/YPm1jfpm8vU

Second question. If I need to descale the machine and I'm using Descal, how much do I use?

Pre-infusion fault

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Yes. I'm a Breville service agent and I replace coffee pumps on the full range of dual boiler machines for this exact problem.
    Once a new pump is in, the preinfusion works properly again.

Just keep using it as you are. Some people are on their original pumps many years on and they're still working fine, others don't last long at all.

It's not an expensive repair in comparison to the price of a new machine.

I haven't done side by side comparisons of shots with and without preinfusion so I can't comment on that.
    Hi noidle22,
    i have started having the pre-infusion issue on my 3yr old machine. I know you mention not to try pump replacement but I live in rural QLD and getting the unit to a service agent is really hard. Had to send back for a problem with the milk frothing function - luckily that was under warranty.

Is the pump replacement definitely a no go? Iím relatively handy having replaced dishwasher and washing machine in the past. If there is a sequence to strip down I could follow.

Does the pump need to be ordered through B or do I get it from the Original manufacturer?

cheers

Al

Long delay before pump starts

Quote Originally Posted by nixter View Post
    This seems to be a similar problem to the one I posted just above. I realize your post is from a couple years ago but did you find a solution?
    I've also come across a similar problem on my Oracle Touch.
    Any time the machine hasn't been used in a while (half an hour? an hour? not sure the exact length) the first pour will have a long ~10 second delay of silence before the pump starts up. The timer, however, continues to count down so this results in significant under-extraction.

Every pour for a little while after this goes fine though. Seems like an issue with the pump starting up.
    Only started happening in the last few weeks. Had the machine for almost a year.

Sounds like it's losing self priming ability under preinfusion. Fairly common problem with the BES920s, due to what the machine does to the voltage to get the pump to give less than 100% power. Replace the pump and it'll be all good again.

Hi everyone. First time poster. I have had an oracle BES980BSS for a couple of months now and am having trouble getting consistent shots. It seems as though I will get several good double shots with a great pour then it will go to a fast pour. I then change to a finer grind (24 back to 1-20) and the shots are ok for a couple of pours then only 10ml will come out on the next shots. s this an issue with these machines or my particular machine. Any help would be great.

Hi All,
    After 5 years of enjoying my Oracle, it too has started leaking water onto the circuit board and shorting the power. I went to Cosmorex in Canberra thinking they were an authorised repairer, but alas no longer. Said they no longer service Breville machines. It seems there arenít any authorised repair centres in Canberra. Is anyone aware of any? Iíd prefer to avoid a long drive to Sydney to get it fixed if I can help it!
    Thanks,
    Hoff.

I'd call Breville on Monday and ask them, I couldn't find anything on the Google. Or your other option is I'm in Dunlop visiting family and driving back to Sydney tomorrow if it'll save you one trip.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I'd call Breville on Monday and ask them, I couldn't find anything on the Google. Or your other option is I'm in Dunlop visiting family and driving back to Sydney tomorrow if it'll save you one trip.
    Thanks for the offer. But Iíll see what Breville have to say on Monday. Cheers.

In the US Breville will do a flat rate of $499 including shipping both ways for a refurbishment. Donít know if they have something similar in AU.

Quote Originally Posted by level380 View Post
    I ended up being the owner of a BES980 that had 'died' with the not heating death wish. I've brought it back to life again and the part that has failed isn't the element as I thought or the 3-way valve either.

Like all good failures, its a cheap part. There is a heat fuse in front of the front boiler, rated @ 133c. This was blown. $2 AUD part stopped the machine in its tracks. For this machine, I have a pretty good idea of the sequence of events that lead to this fuse overheating, again caused by a few $1 parts wearing out early in life. Hint the fuse was over heated by something else!

I'm going to write up a separate post for troubleshooting and repairing this issue. As I've worked out the ohms for checking if the element has failed, how to check the fuse and what replacement part to get, what else to look for when repairing the fuse.

I'm pretty sure the failure of this BES980 machine will happen again for others as well. Its a cheap repair and easy to do, so I'll write it up for others as a separate post so its easier to find in the future.
    I am really interested in this fix as I think that's what is wrong with my machine - I can't seem to locate the separate post with guide to fix it however, can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by notslow View Post
    Today the water fill door on the topof the machine won't open. When I push on it, it moves down but stays latched. Anyone else have this happen? I amhoping is something I can fix myself. Really don't want to have to send it in for something trivial.
    This happened to me as well. The little lock mechanism on the top got stuck due to limescale buildup. It took me a while to open it up, but was a combination of trying to soften the limescale and giving it some knocks to break up the limescale

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819