Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Breville Oracle Owners Thread BES980XL

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    Iím loving mine so far...

I am expecting itís going to break during the 5 year extended warranty... depending on how many times it breaks will determine if I sell it before the warranty is up!
    And therein lies the rub.
    Mrlizard likes this.

Coffee Boiler Temp Overshot - Gurgling sound

My 3 year old Oracle has started acting up.

Machine gets up to temperature no problem. I can make a coffee immediately when it reaches operating temp. But if i let it sit there for a while i can hear Gurgling or boiling noises.
    When i push water button it appears that only steam is coming out the spout, i cant hear the pump very well. Sometimes it takes a while and then it starts finally pumping out water and the pump gets loader like normal. As if prior the pump is starving for water.

My theory is that there is not enough water in the Coffee Boiler. Is there a sensor that controls this? The steam wand works fine.
    I have changed a bunch of orings on the top and none appear to be hissing. The one oring that i had the most problem with was the one on the side of the steam boiler. it was almost impossible to replace, but with long needle nose pliers it managed to get done.

I have read a good article about this issue on a BES920 at
    https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/2018/12/01/breville-bes-920-gurgling-over-temp-error-fixed/
    the remedy there was a new pump.

I am not sure if anyone has had this problem on the Oracle?

Can someone explain to me how the different pumps work on this machine. I see there is a smaller pump as well that seems to go on when machine 1st turns on, i think this maybe pumps the water from water tank into boilers? If the water is low, should this not be the one that pumps more water as opposed to the bigger pump which i assume does the high pressure shot.

Maybe someone can give me insight. I have all the manuals and codes for my machine.

The error codes I am getting are
    22 - Flow meter count error (start up) - coffee pump operate for 10sec but flow counter less than 5counts
    23 - Flow meter count error (operation) - coffee pump operate for 10sec but flow counter less than 5counts
    24 - Coffee Probe Error - Coffee pump operate for 90 sec but coffee probe detect no water
    25 - Coffee boiler temperature overshot - Coffee NTC sense 10deg over target temp

I took the main solenoid off to have a look at it but it looked super clean on the base, so i assumed the insides are probably fine and just reinstalled.

Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by Emeeder View Post
    My 3 year old Oracle has started acting up.

Machine gets up to temperature no problem. I can make a coffee immediately when it reaches operating temp. But if i let it sit there for a while i can hear Gurgling or boiling noises.
    When i push water button it appears that only steam is coming out the spout, i cant hear the pump very well. Sometimes it takes a while and then it starts finally pumping out water and the pump gets loader like normal. As if prior the pump is starving for water.

My theory is that there is not enough water in the Coffee Boiler. Is there a sensor that controls this? The steam wand works fine.
    I have changed a bunch of orings on the top and none appear to be hissing. The one oring that i had the most problem with was the one on the side of the steam boiler. it was almost impossible to replace, but with long needle nose pliers it managed to get done.

I have read a good article about this issue on a BES920 at
    https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/2018/12/01/breville-bes-920-gurgling-over-temp-error-fixed/
    the remedy there was a new pump.

I am not sure if anyone has had this problem on the Oracle?

Can someone explain to me how the different pumps work on this machine. I see there is a smaller pump as well that seems to go on when machine 1st turns on, i think this maybe pumps the water from water tank into boilers? If the water is low, should this not be the one that pumps more water as opposed to the bigger pump which i assume does the high pressure shot.

Maybe someone can give me insight. I have all the manuals and codes for my machine.

The error codes I am getting are
    22 - Flow meter count error (start up) - coffee pump operate for 10sec but flow counter less than 5counts
    23 - Flow meter count error (operation) - coffee pump operate for 10sec but flow counter less than 5counts
    24 - Coffee Probe Error - Coffee pump operate for 90 sec but coffee probe detect no water
    25 - Coffee boiler temperature overshot - Coffee NTC sense 10deg over target temp

I took the main solenoid off to have a look at it but it looked super clean on the base, so i assumed the insides are probably fine and just reinstalled.

Thanks for any help
    FOLLOW UPI changed out the remainder of my Orings that I had not changed out earlier. The ones for the sensors on top of the boilers are slightly bigger. So ordered them online for a few dollars. Mine are red/orange instead of blue, but they work fine.

Then I ordered a new pump and installed it.

some info about installing:
    I used a YouTube video as a guide. Search for breville dual boiler pump solenoid replacement. That gets you to a good video. The connections are the same for that unit. However access on the oracle is a lot worse since the body of the machine covers the electrical connections. So it is very difficult to disconnect and reconnect the power clips. Also, my new pump did not have the thermosensor, but I found that the existing one will slide out easily. This is great since you DO NOT have to cut any wires. (The guy in video cuts wire-Not necessary). Simple reuse the thermo sensor, called a klixon.

Still, it was quite a job because disconnecting and reconnecting the bottom water pipe and the electrical connections was challenging.

But now everything works great. And no error codes (code 23). Also I find Iím getting more volume in my shots so I decreased my 2shot time back to 30. I had moved it up to 35 since many times it took a while for coffee to start flowing. Also, I must be getting better pressure since the coffee flows much sooner then before (set to 60-4seconds preinfuse and getting flow after 7-8 seconds with grind at 17). Iím slowly adjusting the grind Size down till I get it flowing at around 9-10 seconds. Crema also seems better. So in short, machine seems to be working better than ever. (I got it used 8 months ago).

Hopefully this helps some people.
    338 likes this.

Hi,
    Iíve owned the Breville Oracle for the last 6 months. I purchased it off a friend of a friend who told me it was only 18 months old when I purchased it... turns out itís 5 years old!

Anyway last week I went to use the grinder and it sounded like it was grinding then it stopped and just made and electrical spinning type sound. Kind of like the motor is trying to drive it but not able to pick up the grinder. Since then the grinder wonít work. Iíve pulled it all apart and gave it a good clean but itís still not working.

Has anyone come across this?
    Iíve been quoted $300-$400 to replace the grinder but Iím thinking it might be a bit more of a simple fix... well hoping it might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeeder View Post
    FOLLOW UPI changed out the remainder of my Orings that I had not changed out earlier. The ones for the sensors on top of the boilers are slightly bigger. So ordered them online for a few dollars. Mine are red/orange instead of blue, but they work fine.

Then I ordered a new pump and installed it.

some info about installing:
    I used a YouTube video as a guide. Search for breville dual boiler pump solenoid replacement. That gets you to a good video. The connections are the same for that unit. However access on the oracle is a lot worse since the body of the machine covers the electrical connections. So it is very difficult to disconnect and reconnect the power clips. Also, my new pump did not have the thermosensor, but I found that the existing one will slide out easily. This is great since you DO NOT have to cut any wires. (The guy in video cuts wire-Not necessary). Simple reuse the thermo sensor, called a klixon.

Still, it was quite a job because disconnecting and reconnecting the bottom water pipe and the electrical connections was challenging.

But now everything works great. And no error codes (code 23). Also I find I’m getting more volume in my shots so I decreased my 2shot time back to 30. I had moved it up to 35 since many times it took a while for coffee to start flowing. Also, I must be getting better pressure since the coffee flows much sooner then before (set to 60-4seconds preinfuse and getting flow after 7-8 seconds with grind at 17). I’m slowly adjusting the grind Size down till I get it flowing at around 9-10 seconds. Crema also seems better. So in short, machine seems to be working better than ever. (I got it used 8 months ago).

Hopefully this helps some people.
    Ughhh.. I'm getting the gurgling over temp thing now too. New pump time I guess!

On first heat up in the morning, the pump wouldn't kick in until way past the preinfusion. Sometimes up to 30 seconds after. Subsequent shots behaved normally. Machine was like this for at least a year but still useable. But now, the pump doesnt kick in at all. I just get a bit of steam out from around the pf and some slight gurgling noises and then the timer reaches the end of it's cycle before the pump ever kicks in (45sec). So where does one source a new pump? (assuming that's the issue) I'm in Vancouver Canada.
    Last edited by nixter; 9th August 2019 at 02:34 AM.

Looking for help frothing milk for a cappuccino (6~oz) size cup. I keep my pitcher in the freezer, set my dial all the way up texture wise, put in approx 4oz of milk and out comes.....steamed milk. What happens is that the foam sinks to the bottom, and I don't get the foamy bits until the cup is full. I think part of the issue is that I'm not using enough milk and it heats up too fast and doesn't give me the texture. But I'd rather not waste milk and even if I do use an abundance of milk the same issue happens, just to a much lesser degree. Does anyone have any advice? I've seen people post similar issues in the youtube comments and the like but nobody has a solution. Is this just a limitation of the machine? I find it great for larger 9-12 oz lattes but I completely miss the mark on cappuccinos . Oh and before I forget, yes, I've cleaned the steam wand.

Quote Originally Posted by exidrion View Post
    Looking for help frothing milk for a cappuccino (6~oz) size cup. I keep my pitcher in the freezer, set my dial all the way up texture wise, put in approx 4oz of milk and out comes.....steamed milk. What happens is that the foam sinks to the bottom, and I don't get the foamy bits until the cup is full. I think part of the issue is that I'm not using enough milk and it heats up too fast and doesn't give me the texture. But I'd rather not waste milk and even if I do use an abundance of milk the same issue happens, just to a much lesser degree. Does anyone have any advice? I've seen people post similar issues in the youtube comments and the like but nobody has a solution. Is this just a limitation of the machine? I find it great for larger 9-12 oz lattes but I completely miss the mark on cappuccinos . Oh and before I forget, yes, I've cleaned the steam wand.
    Has the machine previously frothed correctly with this amount of milk?

The steam tip is designed to be submerged at or above the join between the tip and wand body. Below that, it may not be reliable.

The other culprit that can be the cause of poor/no froth is a faulty air pump. There's a tiny diaphragm pump that introduces air to the venturi valve, depending on where you set the froth amount dictates how much air is introduced. Sometimes these pumps can stop working which will result in hot but completely flat milk.
    As you mention that it seems to work normally with larger milk volumes, I suspect it's not the case here. I did however have one that was intermittent, sometimes it would froth normally, other times not.

I finally got a bottomless portafilter to help guide my dialing in my shots on my Oracle 980XL. First to remove one variable upfront, I am using a high quality espresso roasted within the past two weeks. I figure a picture or video is worth a thousand words. Please see: https://youtu.be/uvaqDaYjF-w Any suggestions on where to got in terms of adjusting the machine. Current shot time around 40 seconds with 7 second pre-infusion. Happy to post the results as I experiment.

Hi All,
    I finally got around to contacting the dedicated Oracle Support Line on 1300 672 253. What a waste of time! It turns out they are only interested in helping if the machine is within warranty. If itís older than 2 years you are on your own. They couldnít even recommend a repair centre in Canberra. Said they didnít care who I took it to. Best they could do is give me a phone number for a Bravo Repair Centre in Sydney. Hardly inspiring support to make me want to ever purchase any Breville product again.
    Is there a Breville Rep involved with this forum who would be interested in this poor customer service?
    Regards,
    Hoff

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff View Post
    Hi All,
    I finally got around to contacting the dedicated Oracle Support Line on 1300 672 253. What a waste of time! It turns out they are only interested in helping if the machine is within warranty. If it’s older than 2 years you are on your own. They couldn’t even recommend a repair centre in Canberra. Said they didn’t care who I took it to. Best they could do is give me a phone number for a Bravo Repair Centre in Sydney. Hardly inspiring support to make me want to ever purchase any Breville product again.
    Is there a Breville Rep involved with this forum who would be interested in this poor customer service?
    Regards,
    Hoff
    Hi Hoff,
    Sorry to hear you don't have a repairer in your area. I haven't ever seen a Breville Rep on the forum, but you have been active on the forum for longer than me so may have seen one. Jim Clayton I believe is still in charge, works out of Sydney, you could call him and let him know what you thought of no support for a product out of warranty and also no repairer in your area. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I finally got a bottomless portafilter to help guide my dialing in my shots on my Oracle 980XL. First to remove one variable upfront, I am using a high quality espresso roasted within the past two weeks. I figure a picture or video is worth a thousand words. Please see: https://youtu.be/uvaqDaYjF-w Any suggestions on where to got in terms of adjusting the machine. Current shot time around 40 seconds with 7 second pre-infusion. Happy to post the results as I experiment.
    Are you using time or volume? And what is the setting?

It seems to start well, but itís a slightly odd pattern & seems to blonde fairly quickly...

Have you cleaned recently, in case thereís some buildup behind the shower screen?

As usual, try different beans just in case...

Hi — new forum user here, Oracle user since 2016.

My 3 year old Oracle had a grinder problem with burr stuck, grinding gear noise:

https://youtu.be/KVwBGMolI4U

I thought it was due for a thorough cleaning, so I opened it up, cleaned the inner grinding chamber and put everything back in order, and then the above noise happen.

Quick search on google leads to a video of a Breville grinder with impeller issue with similar noise problem. Upon disassembly, I learned that the impeller is different then the Smart Grinder.

Is the impeller the cause of the problem? Any of you had this problem before and did you find any solution?

Some observation:

- there's a grinding mark on the outer burr assembly, possibly from the outer burr rubbing against it (pay attention to the high pitch noise at the end of the video).
    - while there's some surface rubbing mark, the impeller seems to be in a usable condition.

Since I can't attach the image inline, here's a google drive folder of all the photos I took.

Hi everyone,

Hoff – seems like I have the same issue as you and received the same level of really poor customer service from Breville. Did you decide what to do with your machine?

My oracle that has served me well for many years, but seems to be on the way out.

Symptoms: the first time I use it after it has been turned on, when I press the 1 shot/2 shot button, the pump kicks in, but nothing comes out for 17+ seconds. If I press the hot water button, it sort of splutters for a few seconds, then hot water comes out. If I then go and make a coffee, it operates as normal (pre-infuse, extraction after about 9 seconds).

I have changed the settings, cleaned, reset the machine etc etc with no change to the above behaviour. It is my guess that one of the pumps is struggling. Thoughts?

Breville customer service: the short version of a couple of phone calls, and a very very unhelpful member of their team is that there are no authorised repair centres within a couple of hundred kilometres of me – I live in Canberra and the company who in the past were authorised by Breville now don’t have an agreement with Breville and won’t service their machines.

Any recommendations to resolve? Any recommendations re a replacement machine - I do love my Oracle, it has performed very well for the past 5 years, however I am open to looking wider if something has come on to the market that has the potential to go longer than 5 years.

Any thoughts / insights would be great!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AJCoffeeLover View Post

Any recommendations to resolve? Any recommendations re a replacement machine - I do love my Oracle, it has performed very well for the past 5 years, however I am open to looking wider if something has come on to the market that has the potential to go longer than 5 years.

Any thoughts / insights would be great!

Thanks

Not sure if anything new has come on the market, but I think all the options which were on the market five years ago when you chose the Breville still have the potential to last longer than five years - Lelit, Rancillo, Izzo, Bezerra, ECM, Profitec, etc, etc.

Bravo Repairs in Sydney offer free freight on any domestic machine and are a Breville repairer.

Quote Originally Posted by AJCoffeeLover View Post

Symptoms: the first time I use it after it has been turned on, when I press the 1 shot/2 shot button, the pump kicks in, but nothing comes out for 17+ seconds. If I press the hot water button, it sort of splutters for a few seconds, then hot water comes out. If I then go and make a coffee, it operates as normal (pre-infuse, extraction after about 9 seconds).

....Breville customer service: the short version of a couple of phone calls, and a very very unhelpful member of their team is that there are no authorised repair centres within a couple of hundred kilometres of me – I live in Canberra and the company who in the past were authorised by Breville now don’t have an agreement with Breville and won’t service their machines.
    Needs a new coffee pump. Given that it's a few years old, it will need some more servicing and preventative work done too.

Edit: yeah probably should have expected that deletion. Figure anyone can find who i am pretty easily anyway.
    Last edited by noidle22; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:50 PM. Reason: Removed Commercial plug
    level3ninja and 338 like this.

Hi there, got tamping issues with my machine. Without changing something, before 3 days, tamping started to be faulty, not flat, was like coffee "hills". Trying to adjust the fan to be lower, then higher without any luck. After that Breville told me that i need to lower the fan, but the fan is almost as lower as possible. I notice that if i grind too fine, the tamping has no issues, but i got overextracted coffee or no coffee at all. When i try to make it correct, tamp dont wanna work. Any other owner has the same issue?

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920