Thread: Giotto maintanance

Giotto maintanance

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all

new member here from Melbourne, have had an ECM giotto premium now for 3 years and a mazzer mini grinder.
    Absolutely loving them
    I do however have a few questions to ask
    1: With the machine, apart from the regular cleaning and backflushing is there any other maintanance that needs to be carried out
    2: Also who carries spare parts for the machine?
    im not fussed were they are located, but if they have an online store even better
    I think i require a new rubber that sits on the shower screen
    On the last clean mine seemed to be very stiff
    3: On the point of backflushing, how often should it be done
    I do mine around once a month, i make on average 4 - 6 cups of coffee a day and on weekends with visitor can get up to around 15 cups

TC

Re: Giotto maintanance

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA link=1176807443/0#0 date=1176807443
    Hello all

new member here from Melbourne, have had an ECM giotto premium now for 3 years and a mazzer mini grinder.
    Absolutely loving them
    I do however have a few questions to ask
    1: With the machine, apart from the regular cleaning and backflushing is there any other maintanance that needs to be carried out
    2: Also who carries spare parts for the machine?
    im not fussed were they are located, but if they have an online store even better
    I think i require a new rubber that sits on the shower screen
    On the last clean mine seemed to be very stiff
    3: On the point of backflushing, how often should it be done
    I do mine around once a month, i make on average 4 - 6 cups of coffee a day and on weekends with visitor can get up to around 15 cups
    Hi John- I have spare shower screens and gaskets as well as other consumables in stock and would be happy to give your machine a one over and run you through cleaning technique...Probably time for a de-scale as well

regards

Chris

Thank you kindly for the offer Chris
    I will be more then happy to take up the offer and seeing as i still have the original packaging it will be easy for me to come to you if need be

John, welcome to Coffee Snobs.

By backflushing Ill assume you mean with a cleaning solution.

I make half that many coffees and clean fortnightly.

Coffee oils seem to build up quickly.

Thank you for the welcome
    yes you are correct, backflushing with a cleaning solution.
    looks like i better start doing it more frequently then
    Thank you

I also looked at your website chris and downloaded your cleaning instructions, very informative and have now seen that i have ben neglecting my poor baby by not cleaning more regularly

mwatt

Im about to de-scale my Giotto (I want it all nice and clean for the espresso course next weekend ;) ), but Im not sure about one thing. How do I get the solution to come through the steam wand? I assume I need to start with the machine off, put in the solution, turn the machine on, and then run it through the group, but how do I get liquid to come out the steam arm? Does this make any sense?
    Cheers, Michelle

TC

Quote Originally Posted by mwatt link=1176807443/0#5 date=1177121274
    Im about to de-scale my Giotto (I want it all nice and clean for the espresso course next weekend ;) ), but Im not sure about one thing. How do I get the solution to come through the steam wand? I assume I need to start with the machine off, put in the solution, turn the machine on, and then run it through the group, but how do I get liquid to come out the steam arm? Does this make any sense?
    Cheers, Michelle
    Hi Michelle- one way might be to dissolve the descaler in hot water but put it into machine showing zero pressure. You could draw some water and steam off and then turn the machine off at zero pressure while you fill the tank with descaler. With an open valve you will probably get some water flow from the wand as it comes to pressure. Then let is sit as per instructions...

Make sure you run lots of fresh water through is once youre all done...

See you next saturday!

Chris

Well i did the big clean of both the coffee machine and the grinder
    What ca i say, its like its brand new again.
    Descaling as the best thing i could have done, the coffee is soooo much nicer now, or as i remember it when i first bought the machine and learnd to use it.

I never descaled it as i read mixed reports and alot of places actualy said to not descale these machines and only to backflush.

A big thank you to Chris for all his help and prompt delivery of the goodies i ordered to do the job and a few spare parts.

Can some one tell me the way to de- scale a E61 rocket (Kiwi Giotto) that is plumbed in? ie. no tank , and the best formula to use?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Bramps link=1176807443/0#8 date=1177832145
    Can some one tell me the way to de- scale a E61 rocket (Kiwi Giotto) that is plumbed in? * ie. no tank , and the best formula *to use?
    erm....if the plumb job was done correctly, i.e water filtration and softening and you have changed cartridges as required, you wont have an issue with scale....

cd

I was told that using a brita filter jug for water supply to my machine would negate the need to descale! Any thoughts??

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob,

If .... and thats a big if.... you have always replaced your Brita filters before they become depleted as far as scale removal..... and that is often well before the "recommended" volume of water has been treated especially in hard water areas like Perth.....

then the Brita has removed a significant portion of the calcium - but not all..... probably enough to prevent most of the scale build up.... (you might need to descale once a year or even less frequently)

But if the filter has been over used.... your protection will have been lost.... and there will be quite a bit of scale.

There is not much information on how long the filters work for scale removal.... so Id assume that with normal water - around 50mg/L or less.... the recommended volume of water is probably OK but in Perth 125mg/L or more..... you probably want to replace the element when a bit over a third of the recommended volume has been treated..... and that can start becoming expensive.... in which case a water softener might be more cost effective.

cd

thanks mate,

always hated the idea of putting unnecessary chemicals through my machine. How toxic are descaling chemicals?

Rob

Rob,

You can either use citric acid or one of the proprietary descalers.. most of which which use citric acid as their active ingredient...

Citric acid (food grade - bought from supermarkets and used in cooking) is basically a concentrated form of the acid in lemons... so other than making your coffee taste strange if not completely flushed out, it is not harmful to us.... but does a great job at removing the scale.

cd

Mmm,

Citrus & Coffee - not a bad combination! I feel better now. Something else to do on the weekend.

cheers,

Rob.