Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 61
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: ECM Classika II PID

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    19

    ECM Classika II PID

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    ECM Classika II PID

    My coffee style is 45 ml double ristretto, no milk, twice to three times a day.
    This machine fits the capacity bill, seemed to cover off on quality, and also gave me confidence on temps with the PID.
    The PID switching to a timer when the lever is moved, got it across the line.

    Grinder is Breville BCG820.

    Day one review.
    Well packed and delivered from Jetblack Espresso. Box was well organised with accessories and was very well protected.


    Moving from the Sunbeam EM3600, initial shock was at the weight of the portafilters and size of the baskets.
    Turns out the doubles hold about 20grams of coffee (before tamping) and the Naked Portafilter basket is massive - I topped 24 grams before tamping - I have to assume its a triple.


    Jetblack go to good lengths to make sure you do it, and it was easy to fill the boiler with the supplied instructions.




    Pouring the shots once up and running was easy and did not take a lot of time. While I've briefly handled 58mm commercial portafilters before, these ones were so shiny and pretty it makes you cautious to bang them around too much.

    I was seriously contemplating IMS Competition Filters' showers screens and baskets, but seeing the ECM shower screen in actrion, Im not sure I need one. While it can be a little inconsistent, generally the screens is dripping dozens of streams of water at many locations. Looks good.



    Was a bit disappointing that the standard double portafilter does not sit straight in the grouphead and overshoots by a couple of degrees. I really expected this to be perfect.

    The naked portafilter conversely stops short by a couple of degrees. The two portafilters actually seem to be different sizes - the ECM Naked was an accessory. Again, I kinda expected this to be perfect.


    The PID controlled temperature out of the box was set to 94 degrees, and I assume Jetblack adjusted this from the 93 default from ECM. It was easy to adjust the temperature (which I did down to 92 immediately) and its simple to set.
    I note the confirmation of the chosen temperature was a little bit up in the air though. Leaving the menu without going through the steam temperature setting doesn't seem possible. You press minus to get back, but minus is also the button for getting to steam temperature setting. Maybe its just me.

    The timer is magic and I could not be more pleased. Moving the lever to full position kicks off the timer.
    The shot below is at about 50mls in this image.


    It's not the machine, but let me relay this experience, just to inform other noobs (like me).

    I just cant seem to get the grind right for this first couple of days. I have been perfecting my techniques for my previous machine for few months. But I noted that these beans have been extremely problematic since I bought them last week. Took me about 12 failed double shots before I got the good flavours from my old Sunbeam EM3600. These beans are called Exotic 7 - a blend of 7 Arabica's that seem to be freshly roasted due to the huge amount of foamy crema, but have been a hassle to dial in.

    My first two shots on the ECM with the naked portafilter were controlled with no spurts.

    But dwell time was low at only 4 seconds, and then I had 4 or 5 streams of rushy liquid for about 6 or 7 seconds - before it became a single stream. The single stream seemed to be pouring fast. Looking at the footage its actually about 30ml in 10seconds...

    But at 24 grams of coffee, on an adjusted (formerly known as Shimmed) Breville grinder on finest setting - that fast pour was a very worrying sign. The beans certainly have something to do with it, but I'll have to max out the Breville for this PF with this bean.
    After 8 pours over two days, things are not looking great. All shots so far have been black swill, with only one yesterday showing the some flavour about halfway through the cup, but only about 5mls of Caramel flavour, if you catch my drift.
    This is a worry because the sunbeam was able to produce 45ml of gold (with 5-10ml of crap foam on top) - the kind of viscous liquid that makes you want to tongue the glass after its finished. I can confirm no channelling - the tamps were level and grounds well distributed. Doesn't appear to be any issues there.



    One other problem I noticed, was that the twin spout portafilter seems to hold water. No matter how much I shake it out, angle it and otherwise "let it dry", there seems to always be water trapped in there somewhere. Again, I expect better than this, but Ill play a bit more to make sure its not user error. I do a pressurised rinse as well as wipe etc.


    The warm up time is fantastic. Claimed 300 seconds is close, and the recommended 600 seconds seems to be enough for the grouphead.
    Time to steam is about 1 minute, which is totally fine for me. If I choose to experiment with steam, it wont be a rush job anyway.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    76
    Re. portafilter position

    I think you'll find most portafilters sit like this in the grouphead - my previous Silvia and current ECM have the same locked position. Enjoy!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23
    Love the shot clock.
    Time for a new grinder

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    19
    For those interested, here is a terrible video of about 21g in the double (I removed the triple)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    19
    Day three, and I'm loving the texture of the crema. Crema was never important to me before, although I always had plenty of it. The taste of it has no bitterness at all, no real flavour either to be honest. But the texture is luscious. So soft light and viscous. Amazing, fine and luxurious.

    On another note, The OPV is so important I've realised. Makes me rethink so much of my technique and over compensations I was making in the non OPV machine.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    19
    By a weird twist of fate:

    The Jetblackespresso Precision Tamper is precisely the same weight as the ECM Naked portafilter with double basket!
    Very handy when weighing my grind and I forgot to zero out the scale.


    I have also recently seen some other e651 machines around, and am starting to really appreciate the quality of the ECM.
    From finish, to style, to details it strikes me as a higher quality machine, than say the smaller Isomacs and Vibiemmes.
    Bonsa likes this.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1
    Nice post Holyfrog .... I am looking at picking up the same machine from Jetblack ... I will let you know how it goes.

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frenchs Forest NSW
    Posts
    743
    They are back in stock Bonsa. Call before dropping in because we were only getting a couple in:

    Jetblack Espresso Home Barista Centre

    charlie

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Thank you for the review. It is or was good. Why I did not find it before? Could I ask other coffee snobs who have or had this ECM classika PID espresso machine to share their experience? Would be nice to have more info about this machine.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42

    Question ECM classika PID espresso machine owners, please, share your experience!

    Dear Coffee Snobs, If anybody have or had any experience with ECM classika PID machine, could you, please, share your experience. This is a single boiler machine (need to refill boiler every time after using steam) designed in Germany (but manufactured in Italy???). This is the first puzzle for me. I bought this machine, looked everywhere, but could not find where it was actually made? I found the old (2014 short review on this machine), but nothing else. I am sure that many coffee snobs may have this machine.
    Thank you very much for your reply in advance. Cheers

  11. #11
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,024
    I think you'll find it is built in Italy. There is not much in the way of user reviews for this machine on CoffeeSnobs at the moment. Hopefully your request might encourage a couple owners to share their thoughts.

    You may have already seen this YouTube review from the USA on the 110V model but in case you haven't - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZqSoQWC0I. Although it's a comparison review, you get a good look at what's inside the ECM Classika PID.

    As with any Single Boiler, it's a good idea to refill the boiler immediately after steaming using the hot water button. Run enough through to bring temp down. If your only doing Espresso, It's a good idea to flush some water through when you switch on the machine and after brewing. Helps keep water fresh in the boiler and minimises any build up of undesirables inside the boiler (hopefully).
    Dimal likes this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    I think you'll find it is built in Italy. There is not much in the way of user reviews for this machine on CoffeeSnobs at the moment. Hopefully your request might encourage a couple owners to share their thoughts.

    You may have already seen this YouTube review from the USA on the 110V model but in case you haven't - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZqSoQWC0I. Although it's a comparison review, you get a good look at what's inside the ECM Classika PID.

    As with any Single Boiler, it's a good idea to refill the boiler immediately after steaming using the hot water button. Run enough through to bring temp down. If your only doing Espresso, It's a good idea to flush some water through when you switch on the machine and after brewing. Helps keep water fresh in the boiler and minimises any build up of undesirables inside the boiler (hopefully).
    Dear CafeLotta,
    Thank you very much for the reply. I've seen that video on youtube where they compare classika and BZ. Unfortunately, other video about classika on youtube are in different languages (French and German). Single boiler like classika is OK for me (I like black coffee without milk). At this stage I am enjoying good espresso shots with some consistent quality when I could get it. I have a lot to learn about making great espresso, because sometimes I could not get it right. Interesting to notice that ECM improved the portafilter handle and I have mine leveled in the flat table for easy tampering. The locked position (see video) of the portafilter improved as well (it is straight now). The only thing is not improved is the residual of water inside portafilter (as HolyFrog mentioned in his review in 2014):" One other problem I noticed, was that the twin spout portafilter seems to hold water. No matter how much I shake it out, angle it and otherwise "let it dry", there seems to always be water trapped in there somewhere. Again, I expect better than this, but Ill play a bit more to make sure its not user error. I do a pressurised rinse as well as wipe etc." He received a bottomless portafilter together with double one with the Classika in 2014. I did not. I am wondering why? May be Jetblack espresso company started to remove bottomless portafilters and sell them separately to increase the margin (price is A$ 129.00 in their web page)? I would like to ask Charlie about this, but would not like to be nasty with my questions.
    Hope that current owners of classika may give some info. Do they have bottomless ECM portafilter together with standard one or not?

  13. #13
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    Dear CafeLotta,
    Thank you very much for the reply. I've seen that video on youtube where they compare classika and BZ. Unfortunately, other video about classika on youtube are in different languages (French and German). Single boiler like classika is OK for me (I like black coffee without milk). At this stage I am enjoying good espresso shots with some consistent quality when I could get it. I have a lot to learn about making great espresso, because sometimes I could not get it right. Interesting to notice that ECM improved the portafilter handle and I have mine leveled in the flat table for easy tampering. The locked position (see video) of the portafilter improved as well (it is straight now). The only thing is not improved is the residual of water inside portafilter (as HolyFrog mentioned in his review in 2014):" One other problem I noticed, was that the twin spout portafilter seems to hold water. No matter how much I shake it out, angle it and otherwise "let it dry", there seems to always be water trapped in there somewhere. Again, I expect better than this, but Ill play a bit more to make sure its not user error. I do a pressurised rinse as well as wipe etc." He received a bottomless portafilter together with double one with the Classika in 2014. I did not. I am wondering why? May be Jetblack espresso company started to remove bottomless portafilters and sell them separately to increase the margin (price is A$ 129.00 in their web page)? I would like to ask Charlie about this, but would not like to be nasty with my questions.
    Hope that current owners of classika may give some info. Do they have bottomless ECM portafilter together with standard one or not?
    Illchev, not unusual for coffee machine companies, cars, etc to finetune the accessories to keep products competitive in their pricepoint. A machine for $1995 without naked portafilter could attract more interest than a price of $2130 with. This often happens due to fluctuations in the Aus dollar, there has been quite a bit of variation in the last few years. I am guessing English isn't your first language, you say you don't want to be nasty to Charlie but thought it ok to denigrate him on a public forum? I would consider a personal email more polite. You even put a dollar value on the 'taken' item, some detail on this percieved misdirected item. Their website doesn't mention an included naked portafilter, so why do you expect one? Jetblack isn't even the importer, but am sure the reason will be the importer adjusted their product offering. I genuinely hope Charlie sees this and responds, rather than others reading this thinking they take parts from machines.

  14. #14
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frenchs Forest NSW
    Posts
    743
    Definitely no stealing of portafilters going on. We do open the box, prime and test the machine, make sure there are no blemishes, and everything is as it should be. Importers can usually specify inclusions and this can vary.

    charlie

  15. #15
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    .................He received a bottomless portafilter together with double one with the Classika in 2014. I did not. I am wondering why?
    If you check the ECM website listing, you'll see that ECM supply the Classika PID with 1 portafilter as standard. A bit miserly I would have thought for a machine of this quality/price, especially when a bottomless portafilter would be a useful tool for espresso lovers, who this machine is aimed at.

    https://www.ecm.de/en/products/detai.../classika-pid/

    In different markets, (especially the USA), there are differences in what is supplied probably due to a more competitive retail market. Its not uncommon in the USA for machines to come with a bottomless portafilter as well as a 2 year warranty. Here in Australia we usually get the bare minimum, with 1 year warranties the norm, making our coffee machines probably close to the most expensive in comparison to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 11th June 2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added quote
    338 likes this.

  16. #16
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    725
    Free portafilter and having Trump as President or no free portafilter? I know which I would prefer.

  17. #17
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Free portafilter and having Trump as President or no free portafilter? I know which I would prefer.
    I'd prefer Australian consumers had a more competitive retail market in some sectors where Low volume, high margin seems to be the default. Higher volume, lower margin might bring consumers into your market sector stimulating sales in associated areas. Boutique sectors of retail who price fix don't do the Australian consumer any favours and probably stifle their own growth.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Free portafilter and having Trump as President or no free portafilter? I know which I would prefer.
    Dear 338, we are not very far from Trump (or his friend Putin) taking into account recent AFP raids on ABC reporters. But enough about politics, lets talk coffee. I do not know why, but Australia is now one of the most expensive countries in the world (I know this for sure by visiting about 90 countries in the world). Our cars, as well as espresso machines and other specific consumer goods are much more expensive than in Europe or USA. I completely agreed with CafeLotta comments. Our retailers prefer to have a very fat margin (for example Jetblack espresso recently increased price on ECM classika for about the price of bottomless portafilter without adding it in). I could not buy the argument about the rate of Australian dollar (it did not change much for a very long time).
    The other interesting point is about the supply chain of pro-consumer espresso machines to Australia (I was sure that companies like Jetblack are the importers as well, but looks I was wrong). Importer has his margin, distributor has another margin, and some shops add their margins as well. That is the way, I guess.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    Definitely no stealing of portafilters going on. We do open the box, prime and test the machine, make sure there are no blemishes, and everything is as it should be. Importers can usually specify inclusions and this can vary.

    charlie
    Dear Charlie, sorry for the confusion. I did not mean to offend, I only compared the information (2014- naked portafilter with basket included, 2019- not included). Price for ECM classika increased in June 2019 compare to May 2019. AUD did not change much. I did not know that importer is included into the food chain. I thought that your company is importing coffee machines from Europe and distributing it in Australia.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    Dear Charlie, sorry for the confusion. I did not mean to offend, I only compared the information (2014- naked portafilter with basket included, 2019- not included). Price for ECM classika increased in June 2019 compare to May 2019. AUD did not change much. I did not know that importer is included into the food chain. I thought that your company is importing coffee machines from Europe and distributing it in Australia.
    In 2014 the AUD purchased around 0.7 Euro. Today, it purchases 0.6 Euro. Call it a 15% depreciation or $300 bucks on a $2k machine. Ask Charlie how many thousand he has invested in stock, parts and staff to support your purchase? As for the price discrepancy in a month, it can be as simple as the manufacturer price increases, the exchange rate on the previous import v the one which just landed or maybe just that the margin has been unsustainably low for too long.

    It's high time to move on and stop the whinging. You received what you paid for and as far as I can see, every single issue you have identified is the result of inexperience.

    You have a good machine, now go and enjoy it rather than nitpicking!

  21. #21
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    725
    Illchev, agree with you that Australia has a high cost of living. This is not just retailers having a fat margin, often the retailers have to spread the overhead over less sales. Haviing owned businesses in the US and here I can tell you it is easier when you have a client base of 330 million than 23 million. It also has previously been because of protectionism. We still pay Luxury Car Tax (33cents in the dollar) above the threshold, which was set at the level of the most expensive Australian built car.

    I cant agree with you about our dollar being stable. It is 69 cents now, I remember being in the US in 2001 for about 3 months and it was costing over two Aussie dollars to get one US dollar, in 2010 we hit US $1.10. I just looked up 2014 when the machine you use as an example was bought, the dollar spent plenty of time above US 0.93, a fair way from todays 0.69. That is one third more for your dollar, that may seem stable to you, to me it feels like a large one third more.

  22. #22
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    725
    Dear forum, what should Ido about my mean and unfair barber? I think I have buyers remorse. I have been using this barber for 6 years and recently took my nephew to him. He charged half for my nephew (who has more hair than me) and without prompting by my nephew gave him a lollipop! Should I a) learn I should negotiate for lollipops before entering the transaction b) demand lollipops with future transactions or c) shoot the unfair barber?

  23. #23
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Dear forum, what should Ido about my mean and unfair barber? I think I have buyers remorse. I have been using this barber for 6 years and recently took my nephew to him. He charged half for my nephew (who has more hair than me) and without prompting by my nephew gave him a lollipop! Should I a) learn I should negotiate for lollipops before entering the transaction b) demand lollipops with future transactions or c) shoot the unfair barber?
    a) Yes. b)Yes. c)Probably not unless you know of a Barber who gives you free fresh ground/brewed coffee of your choice.
    Dimal, Kjarsheim and 338 like this.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Erimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kippa-Ring Qld
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Dear forum, what should Ido about my mean and unfair barber? I think I have buyers remorse. I have been using this barber for 6 years and recently took my nephew to him. He charged half for my nephew (who has more hair than me) and without prompting by my nephew gave him a lollipop! Should I a) learn I should negotiate for lollipops before entering the transaction b) demand lollipops with future transactions or c) shoot the unfair barber?
    Look on the bright side. At least you don't have to tip here and if you do tip, stop it.
    338 likes this.

  25. #25
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    Look on the bright side. At least you don't have to tip here and if you do tip, stop it.
    What?!? Now wait a minute here. We Mods depend on those tips to keep us supplied with our cuppa sludges to keep our eyes open on the long overnight sessions. (We tried toothpicks but quickly gave them up as the pierced eyelids made sleeping hard to do.) No more tips here???


    Java "Nnnnnoooooooooo..." phile
    Dimal, 338 and ilichev like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  26. #26
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,024
    Here's a good tip I came across......

    TipofTheDay.jpg

    I'm sure no-one here finds this applicable of course.

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Dear Coffee snobs, This is a thread with title: "ECM classika PID" started by Holyfrog in December 2014. Because I recently (May 2019) bought this very good espresso machine, I am asking questions about this and similar machines and expecting advice from more experienced senior members how to make a perfect cup.
    Currently I am using standard double portafilter (came with machine) and 18g basket that only fit into this portafilter. Every morning I need to make 2 separate cups of my espresso shot, that takes double time when I am in a hurry to my work. I started to think about naked (bottomless) portafilter with 25g basket to buy and use as only one double-triple shot of espresso at once.
    My questions are:
    1). Would it damage the machine or create excessive pressure (more than 10 bars) when making big shot of espresso from 25g of coffee?
    2). I expect to receive triple or more volume of good espresso in one hit, or the good espresso will be only in the first 30-50ml of coffee in the shot?
    3). Could I buy non-ECM naked portafilter like Expobar naked portafilter for cheaper price on e-bay, or it could be a cheap Chinese fake portafilter sold by coffee parts online company?
    Sorry for asking so many questions at once. Would be very grateful for you advice and experience in this issue.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    My questions are:
    1). Would it damage the machine or create excessive pressure (more than 10 bars) when making big shot of espresso from 25g of coffee?
    2). I expect to receive triple or more volume of good espresso in one hit, or the good espresso will be only in the first 30-50ml of coffee in the shot?
    3). Could I buy non-ECM naked portafilter like Expobar naked portafilter for cheaper price on e-bay, or it could be a cheap Chinese fake portafilter sold by coffee parts online company?
    Sorry for asking so many questions at once. Would be very grateful for you advice and experience in this issue.
    1) No, if you buy a branded basket rated at 25g, it should have a distribution of holes in the base designed to accommodate that mass. No problem.
    2) With reasonable technique you should be able to extract at least 50g (which will produce quite a bit more than 50mls) of good espresso.
    3) Not going there. The purpose of this site is not to promote e-bay. Roll the dice if you like. What's wrong with buying from the people who sold you the machine?
    ilichev likes this.

  29. #29
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    725
    Ill chev, one suggestion which is time effective, keeps flavours the same and won't cost any more is to make two shots immediately after each other. Make one, clean the portafilter and make the next. You can then pour into one cup or leave in two. If you use double wall glass they will lose barely any heat while drinking. Probably adds 2 minutes to your morning.
    ilichev likes this.

  30. #30
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    3) Not going there. The purpose of this site is not to promote e-bay. Roll the dice if you like. What's wrong with buying from the people who sold you the machine?
    Accusation a few posts above, rather than just asking if anyone got a second portafilter with their machine. I am sure they would be civil even after this.
    Last edited by 338; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:18 PM.

  31. #31
    Senior Member Lyrebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    465
    To confirm the above, I use a 24g VST basket in the machine at the winery and it is fine with 25g of coffee in it. No problems fitting in the standard portafilter (Rocket branded but used on an ECM).
    ilichev likes this.

  32. #32
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,668
    I think you need to find a reputable specialist retailer in your neck of the woods and tee-up a one-on-one Home Barista Tutorial or maybe a small class if that's how they run. The sort of questions you are posing here would be addressed simply and quickly...

    Mal.
    338 and ilichev like this.

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Ill chev, one suggestion which is time effective, keeps flavours the same and won't cost any more is to make two shots immediately after each other. Make one, clean the portafilter and make the next. You can then pour into one cup or leave in two. If you use double wall glass they will lose barely any heat while drinking. Probably adds 2 minutes to your morning.
    Hi 338, Thank you for your answer and advise. You sounds like my best mate sheep farmer from Nagambie, who told me to get up 5 min earlier in the morning. I am using double wall big glass cup for my double espresso + 1/2 hot water for long/shot black.

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    I think you need to find a reputable specialist retailer in your neck of the woods and tee-up a one-on-one Home Barista Tutorial or maybe a small class if that's how they run. The sort of questions you are posing here would be addressed simply and quickly...

    Mal.
    Hi Dimal, Unfortunately in our very rural Shepparton, in Victoria we do not have any "reputable" or not reputable coffee specialists. Could you suggest any nice books with plain English to read about espresso making in details. Thanks in advance.

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    To confirm the above, I use a 24g VST basket in the machine at the winery and it is fine with 25g of coffee in it. No problems fitting in the standard portafilter (Rocket branded but used on an ECM).
    Dear Lyrebird, Thanks for reply. Do you mean standard double Rocket branded (not naked) portafilter??? I was told that 21g basket would not fit in to my standard ECM double basket (I am using 18g basket in my standard ECM double portafilter). I would not expect 24g basket to fit in standard portafilter. Please, clarify!!

  36. #36
    Senior Member Lyrebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    465
    Yep, standard portafilter, not bottomless.

  37. #37
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,668
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    Hi Dimal, Unfortunately in our very rural Shepparton, in Victoria we do not have any "reputable" or not reputable coffee specialists. Could you suggest any nice books with plain English to read about espresso making in details. Thanks in advance.
    How about a local Coffee Shop that knows their stuff?
    Don't really know of any books that may be suitable but the Home Barista website has an excellent series of Tutorials that lots of us probably read, back in the day, and they are still just as relevant now...
    https://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html

    Mal.
    Yelta, CafeLotta, 338 and 1 others like this.

  38. #38
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,799
    There is also this tutorial, not sure about the distribution tool or ridged tamper, but the basics are all there.
    https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/20...esso-14-steps/

  39. #39
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    How about a local Coffee Shop that knows their stuff?
    Having lived - ever so briefly - in Shepparton, I can attest that this particular creature doesn't exist there
    Dimal and ilichev like this.

  40. #40
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,024

  41. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Dear Lyrebird, Thank you for the reply and confirmation. I am very surprised. Will try to compare my standard ECM double portafilter with Rocket standard double. My one has the walls going down under some angle. May be this is restricting placement of bigger baskets? Thanks.

  42. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Hi Dimal,
    Thank you for the tutorials. Will read and learn. May be it will help to avoid stupid questions in the future.
    Dimal likes this.

  43. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    There is also this tutorial, not sure about the distribution tool or ridged tamper, but the basics are all there.
    https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/20...esso-14-steps/
    Hi Yelta, Thank you for advice. When I bought my first Quick Mill Carolla in May, I also bought leveling distribution tool. I found it very useful because it gives me the standard pressing power and depth.
    Yelta likes this.

  44. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Dear CafeLotta, Thank you for advise. Dimal suggested the same web site. Actually the first article has redirection to exactly the same text with tutorials. Will read it carefully. Cheers
    CafeLotta likes this.

  45. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    Having lived - ever so briefly - in Shepparton, I can attest that this particular creature doesn't exist there
    Dear magnafunk, thanks for the confirmation. I've been living in Shep from 1996 and could tell you that this town did not get better not only in terms of coffee, but also in all other aspects. The only normal espresso cafe was established about 3 years ago where they roasted beans, but quality quickly deteriorated.

  46. #46
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    Dear magnafunk, thanks for the confirmation. I've been living in Shep from 1996 and could tell you that this town did not get better not only in terms of coffee, but also in all other aspects. The only normal espresso cafe was established about 3 years ago where they roasted beans, but quality quickly deteriorated.
    Just a quick derail, the coffee at the terminus hotel is very good when Greg the owner is working. He actually started GB coffee if that's the place you were referring to, they no longer own it.

  47. #47
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    Hi Yelta, Thank you for advice. When I bought my first Quick Mill Carolla in May, I also bought leveling distribution tool. I found it very useful because it gives me the standard pressing power and depth.
    So you bought the Quick Mill and the ECM?

  48. #48
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ilichev View Post
    Dear CafeLotta, Thank you for advise. Dimal suggested the same web site. Actually the first article has redirection to exactly the same text with tutorials. Will read it carefully. Cheers
    I missed that one, sorry.

    I did find this in Shepparton - https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/leve...ts-57962316850 - might be worth investigating maybe?

    Just found this too - http://www.gotafe.vic.edu.au/course-..._cd=SC0COFFE19
    Dimal and ilichev like this.

  49. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    Just a quick derail, the coffee at the terminus hotel is very good when Greg the owner is working. He actually started GB coffee if that's the place you were referring to, they no longer own it.
    I know Terminus hotel, but I did not know that Greg started GB coffee. Yest I mentioned GB coffee near CFA depo, but unfortunately GB coffee increased price and decreased quality of coffee (They had good PNG Goroka that i like).

  50. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Shepparton, Victoria
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    So you bought the Quick Mill and the ECM?
    Dear Barry, My answer is NO. Initially when I bought Quick Mill carolla the price was looking very expensive for me after having espresso auto machines for a max of $500. That was the big leap for me of about $1000. Unfortunately, my Quick Mill had a problem with pump, and I was able to return it and get full refund. After my short experience with real E61 and 10 bar espresso single boiler machine I realized that I need to spend much more to have a reliable, long-lasting and well designed espresso machine. I bought ECM classika PID from Jetblack and very happy so far. (That why I confused many coffee snobs when asked about "the cheapest E61 single boiler espresso machine"). I ended spending more money, but bought reliable and hope long-lasting ECM classika.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •