Thread: Giotto makes me proud

Banned

Giotto makes me proud

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Yesterday I was involved in a local coffee expo. One of the unfortunate things about this expo was that we were all restricted to 10amp power. So with plans of trucking down any capable machines (last year at this event we made over 1000 coffees on the weekend) I decided to bite the bullet and take the Giotto. Slightly worried, but with no other options (short of making another machine ex-demo, or using a Gaggia/sunbeam that the expo organisor offered us) we did it.

Day 1, I made close to 500 coffees, all 8 oz take aways. it was an 8 hour day but the figures were 490 something coffees in 7.5 hours. This well exceeds the 50 coffees per hour rating of the Giotto. The only real killer was long blacks. Early in the day I had an order for 4 long blacks, that was it, no long blacks!!!!! The boiler pressure was only almost at full pressure all day, the coffees were all acceptable but not my best work. There were a couple that were so over-extracted I wished I had used a machine with volumetris dosing, but would it had kept up. I probably should have taken 2 machines, but I know for next year. I got to say though, I am absolutley amazed that the Giotto did so well. Hopefully it sticks today out without any dramas and the it can retire back to demo duties at a relaxed 20 coffees a week.

I will post some photos up on my blog next week and update this when I do. For now, back to do it all again.

Re: Giotto makes me proud

I cant get my head around those statistics: 1 coffee every minute. 1 coffee every single minute. All day long.

Its a wonder you or the Giotto are still standing. Incredible work.

--Robusto

Go the Giotto!

(And well done to you too of course.)

Nice works...just a few comments and suggestions though.

Being restricted to 10 A power, I wouldnt have thought to bring a Giotto...there are probably much more solid work horses out there that run on 10 A.

2 Giottos is a good idea. I was thinking why you didnt bring 2 in the first place.

Another thing Id like to suggest is having an electric kettle on hand for the long blacks....simply fill the cup up with enough water from the kettle and then pull a double espresso straight in to the cup...height permitting.

Banned

Yes 2 Giotto would have been great, or something with volumetric dosing, but we were restricted to what we had, it was promotional so these were all mostly free coffees. Ahhh Hindsight...... but as I said, we did not want to make another machine ex-demo.

I was surprised at the Giotto, but also myself, it was a big day. Sunday we ristricted the coffees to 4oz sample cups, espresso or latte only. I only made about 200 yesterday in 6 hours.

The weekend was a great success, we sold more kilos of coffee than the domestic suppliers sold machines. Great thing was, very little to take home except the machine and grinder.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1178401273/0#4 date=1178490650
    Yes 2 Giotto would have been great, or something with volumetric dosing, but we were restricted to what we had, it was promotional so these were all mostly free coffees. Ahhh Hindsight...... but as I said, we did not want to make another machine ex-demo.

I was surprised at the Giotto, but also myself, it was a big day. Sunday we ristricted the coffees to 4oz sample cups, espresso or latte only. I only made about 200 yesterday in 6 hours.

The weekend was a great success, we sold more kilos of coffee than the domestic suppliers sold machines. Great thing was, very little to take home except the machine and grinder.
    Yeppers- they cope well in this type of situation...We ran 15kg through 3 Giottos and 3 Best grinders at Aromafest last year- no problem at all...

2mcm

Banned

There are some start of the day pics here:

http://coffeeroastery.blogspot.com/

nice...super jolly and such a tiny knock box?

Banned

I know it was literally being emptied and filled simultaneously, also see the hieght of that bench. im 62" so was very sore by end of weekend.

Nice :S hahaha...900mm benches all the way. Picked one up from Ikea for not too much money - stole idea from Luca.

wish I had of known this was on. Looked like a good 2 days