Thread: Restricted Flow

Restricted Flow

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Diadema machine which produces good shots however....often when I dose with what I believe to be the correct grind/tamp/dose, only one side of the dual pour group handle produces a flow of coffee. Something is preventing the flow from the other side of the pourer.
    The shot resulting from only one side is good ie) about 25-30 ml in 30 seconds, just annoying if I am making 2 coffees not to be able to have half in each cup direct from the handle/pourers.
    Anyone have any suggestions about what might cause this problem ?

TC

Re: Restricted Flow

Quote Originally Posted by rowd link=1179126983/0#0 date=1179126982
    I have a Diadema machine which produces good shots however....often when I dose with what I believe to be the correct grind/tamp/dose, only one side of the dual pour group handle produces a flow of coffee. Something is preventing the flow from the other side of the pourer.
    The shot resulting from only one side is good ie) about 25-30 ml in 30 seconds, just annoying if I am making 2 coffees not to be able to have half in each cup direct from the handle/pourers.
    Anyone have any suggestions about what might cause this problem ?
    Gday Rowd,

I think we all experience that occasionally. It can be things like debris in one spout, machine level and such or dosing and distribution, but more often than not, I find its caused by either grind being a tiny bit too fine or dose being a little greater than the pervious shot...

Hope tthis helps...

2mcm

Thanks 2mcm,
    Yes, I thought maybe the grind was just a little too fine (maybe it was), however my supplier has kindly pointed out a feature of the group handle that I was not aware of.
    There is a screw on the handle that can be adjusted to regulate (direct) the flow as the shot is being poured, and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rowd link=1179126983/0#2 date=1179292554
    Thanks 2mcm,
    Yes, I thought maybe the grind was just a little too fine (maybe it was), however my supplier has kindly pointed out a feature of the group handle that I was not aware of.
    There is a screw on the handle that can be adjusted to regulate (direct) the flow as the shot is being poured, and this seems to have fixed the problem.
    Theres a screw on the handle of the portafilter that allows you to direct the stream to one spout or the other? Is it connected to a butterfly that site between the basket and the bottom of the portafilter or what? Got a pic of the portafilter with the basket removed?

Java "Inquiring minds want to know!" phile