• 3 Post By kopigeek
  • 1 Post By javatime
  • 1 Post By jbrewster
  • 3 Post By water_dragon

Thread: VBM Domobar Jnr v Bezzera BZ10 v Expobar EB 61 Leva

VBM Domobar Jnr v Bezzera BZ10 v Expobar EB 61 Leva

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Looking for some insightful opinion on the above machines, my price point is approx $2k +/- looking for a HX machine for milk texturing and shot pulling a the same time and also bench space is critical. I really like the VBM but the EB 61 looks interesting then i saw the BZ10 and I'm now confused.

Rob

Hi Rob. I'm totally subjective as I own the VBM Jnr. It's a compact unit with plenty of horse power to boot. Extracting and texturing milk at the same time is no issue.

Space was a factor for me too. Here is a pic of my workstation. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427862057.015409.jpg

And a pic of a double ristretto I pulled earlier today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427862081.475013.jpg
    Dimal and encoderboy like this.

Very nice set up and it does look good which is why its currently sitting #1 in my preferences. I'm also looking at two second hand machines Bezzera Domus Galatea and a Giotto PP V2 around the same price point but would prefer a new machine.

After looking at that coffee i think i better make one.

How wide is your work area kopigeek? I've got the Macap M2m and also looking for a small machine to replace my bre-vile dual boiler

Quote Originally Posted by astormsau View Post
    How wide is your work area kopigeek? I've got the Macap M2m and also looking for a small machine to replace my bre-vile dual boiler
    It's actually pretty wide (I'm guessing around 1200) but the space constraint was given by the Minister of Space Planning (the wife).

Site Sponsor
    Hi Rob,

You could put the Lelit Mara on your shortlist too - it's the worlds most compact HX with E61 group head. 22cm wide! On the lever E61 machines (Mara, VBM Junior, EB 61) you get preinfusion which is nice to have. And a well set up HX E61 is very easy to live with - no cooling flushes for example.

charlie

Thanks Charlie...I'm trying to narrow down the list not add to it!!! The Lelit is starting to get on the high side of my budget I'm looking at max of $2200 but as close to or under $2k would be better.

I have also just bought the VBM junior HSX will be delivered Tuesday So I will be selling my Breville BES 900 which still works very well and I finally bought the Vario grinder.
    robtempleton and kopigeek like this.

Curious about your thoughts water_dragon. I've got a 5 month old BES920 which has just gone in to have a new solenoid fitted. I am contemplating a move to the VBM Domobar Junior to reclaim some bench space so keen to know what you think!

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by astormsau View Post
    Curious about your thoughts water_dragon. I've got a 5 month old BES920 which has just gone in to have a new solenoid fitted. I am contemplating a move to the VBM Domobar Junior to reclaim some bench space so keen to know what you think!

Drew
    I haven't used a sunbeam (previous was a rancilio silvia and before that it was Turkish coffee) but I can tell you the VBM Jnr will produce one hell of an espresso. Of course subject skill of the operator. The pic below is of a shot I pulled from a maling room blend and I can tell you it was awesome, rich and thick. It took me a little while until I got the hang of the machine (and grinder) but that's with anything new. I still like to take my time in creating my drink as I believe that is just as much fun as drinking the result.

Oh and real estate wise it's not wide at all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428151591.556500.jpg
    Dimal, encoderboy and robtempleton like this.

I will let you know. My main reasons for changing is I live in a remote area and freighting anything to get fixed is a hassle. When I can easily repair if the parts are available far into the future and the other reason is bench space. The Breville went back at the end of its warranty, it had a faulty solenoid and failed to start. Breville took it back at their expense and sent it back ...it never worked so well . But for me now if it fails in the future it will cost me too much to send it and I do not think spares will be available in 5 years. so for me the upgrade will last me and fit in the bench space better.

TC

vbm is nice... Although the pressure plate did have some rust on it only after a year... Still going strong tho
    MattyRay likes this.

Hi Chris is there a killer deal on the machine itself?

Hi Chris,

I did see that on your website and I'm trying to get to a decision which is proving to be very difficult. A large outlay that I'm trying to justify.

Rob

I'm currently refurbishing a Rocket Giotto. I've replaced the pump, heating element, anti vac valve, safety valve, pressure gauge, group seal and shower screen. I've also put in a commercial pressure stat, stripped the group head and replaced the seals on the valves inside, sand blasted and powder coated the machine base, and put the boiler and all the tube work into a bucket of citric acid solution to fully descale. If you're interested let me know and we can talk numbers.

I've also go the VBM Jr, I was tossing up between it and a Giotto, but it won out for its smaller footprint, I've been very happy with it.

The only reason I'm likely to upgrade is for a machine that can be plumbed in, and given my satisfaction with the VBM it's liable to be a VBM Super Lever (my bench space constraint largely went away when we moved).
    kopigeek likes this.

Still waiting for delivery it arrived in Bairnsdale last Thursday and has not moved told delivery Tuesday now told it could be Tuesday ,Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. I find this difficult to understand in this day and age.....pity I could not charge them for wasting my time for having to hang around. It is only 240 k's away but no info available apart from they had it since early Thursday morning.

Well it arrived Late afternoon, I set it up went for a ride on my MTB came back and poured my first shot no good, second shot was perfect, had 3 doubles this morning all perfect and much more room on my bench now. The manual that came with it mentioned a black plug that may come adrift during shipping. took the cover off as instructed found nothing. I then spoke to Pedro from Coffee Parts who explained a few things about this machine he was very helpful no black plug on this model just the yellow one, boiler pressure control .....so all good. as for the difference in taste from the Breville dual boiler not a lot in it really. I am sure with a bit more time I will be able to get better in the use of this machine and it looks very nice and is built like a mini tank. I can see I will have no problem in the future replacing parts .... very simple design easy layout and quality components
    Dimal, robtempleton and gonzo89 like this.

Hi Water_Dragon, how long is the heat up time? I know the BDB can be 5 mins but I would never use it without heating for at least 15... whats the heat up time on the Junior?
    Did you find a need to change your grind from what you were using with the BDB? Any need for cooling flushes?
    Many thanks
    Drew

The heat up time is about 30 mins I have a timer connected to the plug so it is ready by the time I have shower.. coffee is ready. As far as grind time I am using my Vario now and different beans take different grind settings at the moment 12 seconds in double portafilter for single origin Yigga. I just give short flush 2 sec's the temp seems very stable but I have not used anything to test this except the taste to my liking of the coffee. After coming from the BDB it takes a bit more thinking as I think the BDB is easier to use, this VBM is all manual ,,but I personally enjoy that, I never bothered trying the preset dose buttons on the BDB I always watched the pour

Quote Originally Posted by javatime View Post
    vbm is nice... Although the pressure plate did have some rust on it only after a year... Still going strong tho
    Even stainless rusts, if you spill any water and leave it ..it will sweat under the plastic tank. I have seen this in marine grade 916 stainless tanks they were fibre glassed into boats ALL DELTACRAFT condensation under the tanks sweated and rusted through