• 1 Post By Lukemc
  • 2 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By TOK
  • 2 Post By TC

Thread: Quiet Pump Machine Advice

Quiet Pump Machine Advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi,

I am after a new machine and wanted some opinion on a quiet machine.

I've had loud pump machines before and then went to a La Pavoni lever. The La Pavoni was excellent for 5am coffees not waking anyone up, however it's too short a shot and it's too hard to get good consistency.. . (even after 5 years practice and a Mini Mazza and quality tamper.) Looking for a semi automatic I think.

Are rotary pumps the best option?

I have a budget of 1500 > 2500 or there about's. My main needs are :

1. quiet
    2. kitchen benchtop sized
    3. don't need to froth lots of milk

thanks

Alex duetto is super quiet. Quietest pump machine I've heard. You might pick up a second hand one for those $$
    TC likes this.

all of my machine are quiet, the most noisy one is the kvarn (mazzer mini), but if you need a new one, the Alex duetto is one (like @Lukemc wrote) and the Izzo Strega or the Astoria Perla, but this one is to big for your kitchen.

I suspect Rolf ment the Bezzera Strega which used to be available with a "no pump" option if you are prepared to plumb in to the mains for a fully manual, no pump, 58mm spring lever group.
    probably the lowest cost domestic HX lever group machine.
    ...but yes, hard to find a silent grinder !

ok - that'd getting there price wise - but perhaps doable? Hmm .. what about the Rocket Evoluzione V2 ? A little cheaper....

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    I suspect Rolf ment the Bezzera Strega which used to be available with a "no pump" option if you are prepared to plumb in to the mains for a fully manual, no pump, 58mm
    yes, thanks for the correction

TC
    If you have some flexibility in terms of budget, the Rocket EVO V2 and a Lido 2 hand grinder will produce near silent coffee. As others have suggested, another alternative is a spring lever plumb-in machine but the good ones will totally nuke your budget.

My fave silent machine without going totally nuts on spend remains the Izzo Alex Leva. In my opinion, the San Marco 55mm group is the best spring lever group in existence and the Alex Leva is sheer brilliance.

Cheers

Chris
    Deano and coffee_machinist like this.

TOK
    I've had my BFC Unico Splendor (vibrating pump) home machine for a couple of years now and decided recently to upgrade to a new BFC Junior Elite. Similar internals to the Splendor (same manufacturer and range of "Junior" models) but with the smooth quietness of a rotary pump. The body is just a tad wider to accommodate the rotary pump and drive motor, probably no more than about 10 - 12 mm each side.

Going in to pick it up this week probably Tuesday. Might also take a look inside to satisfy my curiosity for all things technical, will let you know what I think.
    Dimal likes this.

A quiet pump is one thing but don't forget you are going to have to grind those beans...

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by coolie21 View Post
    A quiet pump is one thing but don't forget you are going to have to grind those beans...
    Hence my recommendation of a Lido 2
    coolie21 and Lukemc like this.

thanks for the all the suggestions... much appreciated. The grinder has a catcher which I can pre fill the night before an early start if required so no grinder noise issues. I ended up with a Rocket V2 which seems on day one to be pretty good for my needs. It was over budget, however, I realised the rotary pump option was not going to work in budget unless found 2nd hand... Overall I am happy with it's size, styling, plumbing options and the quiet operation. A lever machine would have worked if I felt we had more space as visually they seemed to be quite imposing for a kitchen bench. I found someone close to where I live, John Doyle at baristatechniques.com, who gave me an incredible amount of help and advice over the phone and was able to purchase and pickup on a Sunday afternoon!