Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By TC

Thread: Rocket Giotto tar buildup

Rocket Giotto tar buildup

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've had my Giotto 2 years now and am very happy with it. I've scrupulously backwashed it monthly with espresso machine detergent as per the manual.
    When the group head started leaking I decided it was time to replace the gasket.
    I was astonished when I removed the filter and gasket to discover a layer of tar, for lack of a better description, several millimetres thick blocking most of the holes at the back of the filter. Despite soaking it in boiling detergent, it required the use of a flat bladed screwdriver to remove it. I then spent the best part of an hour with wooden skewers and toothpicks to unblock the holes.
    Long story short: If you have one of these machines. or a machine with a similar head, periodically remove the seal and clean the back of the filter, as monthly backwashing with detergent does not remove it.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawneePilot View Post
    Long story short: If you have one of these machines. or a machine with a similar head, periodically remove the seal and clean the back of the filter, as monthly backwashing with detergent does not remove it.
    That's why we recommend a daily water backflush and weekly chemical backflush

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    That's why we recommend a daily water backflush and weekly chemical backflush
    As in what type of chemical?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawneePilot View Post
    As in what type of chemical?
    As in backflush detergent such as Clean machine or Cafetto- to name a couple.

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Second the above routine - I have a Diadema Reale (very similar machine) which I water back flush after basically every shot, and detergent clean about once a week/fortnight. My first group seal change only needed to be done after 5 years - and when the screen came out with the old seal it was pristine behind it

Interesting. I have a Giotto of similar age and I have this build up on my filters too. I remove the filter when I clean the machine (roughly every 2 months), soak it in Cafetto and then give it a good scrub. I replace the gasket and filter about annually.

Talk_Coffee - I am interested in your recommendation that I should be cleaning with Cafetto weekly. My machine gets fairly light use - maybe 10-12 double shots a week. Would you still recommend weekly cleaning? Fortnightly? Monthly?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by LionelHutz View Post
    Interesting. I have a Giotto of similar age and I have this build up on my filters too. I remove the filter when I clean the machine (roughly every 2 months), soak it in Cafetto and then give it a good scrub. I replace the gasket and filter about annually.

Talk_Coffee - I am interested in your recommendation that I should be cleaning with Cafetto weekly. My machine gets fairly light use - maybe 10-12 double shots a week. Would you still recommend weekly cleaning? Fortnightly? Monthly?
    Weekly- even if you make one coffee that week. Oils build up and become rancid.

Servicing & maintaining your espresso machine and grinder | Talk Coffee