Thread: Rocket Evo vs Premium Plus PID

Rocket Evo vs Premium Plus PID

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

Great forum you have here!

I'm looking at getting a Rocket machine. Whilst I'd like an R58, I can't really justify the cost, so I'm comparing the Evo v2 and the Plus PID.

From what I can tell, the main difference is that the Evo comes with a rotary pump and is plumbable (ie has a reservoir but can be plumbed if you wish), but it doesn't have a PID.

What I'm confused about is whether I'll be able to vary the brewing temperature on the Evo, without the PID.

Also, am I right in thinking that you either have a PID or a pressurestat? Ie they perform the same function, just that a PID is perhaps a bit more precise, and usually has a display for the user to control some parameters such as temp.

Thanks!

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Snobben View Post
    Hi

Great forum you have here!

I'm looking at getting a Rocket machine. Whilst I'd like an R58, I can't really justify the cost, so I'm comparing the Evo v2 and the Plus PID.

From what I can tell, the main difference is that the Evo comes with a rotary pump and is plumbable (ie has a reservoir but can be plumbed if you wish), but it doesn't have a PID.

What I'm confused about is whether I'll be able to vary the brewing temperature on the Evo, without the PID.

Also, am I right in thinking that you either have a PID or a pressurestat? Ie they perform the same function, just that a PID is perhaps a bit more precise, and usually has a display for the user to control some parameters such as temp.

Thanks!
    G'day snobben,

If you want control of brew temperature, you will need an independent brew boiler- i.e dual boiler machine.

The nature of HX is that brew water is flash heated in as it moves through a tube (HX) in the boiler. A change of a degree or two in boiler temperature will not have anything like that effect on brew temperature.

In this application, the PID merely acts as a digital pressurestat.

You may wish to consider our Izzo Alex Duetto. It's outstanding and sits between the EVO 2 and R58 on price.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 15th April 2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added info

Thanks, that makes sense.

Assuming they're both of good quality, is there any noticeable difference between having a PID and a thermostat?

Can you adjust the HX temp with a thermostat, or do you need a PID for that? I understand it's not giving direct control over brew temp, but I'm guessing that the fact that with a PID (and a display) you often are able to adjust the HX boiler temp means it's still useful to make adjustment to the HX boiler temp.

Basically, if I was to purchase the Evo, am I missing out on something by not getting a PID?

Thanks!

TC
    Assuming they're both of good quality, is there any noticeable difference between having a PID and a thermostat?
    Not really. A PID will react a little more rapidly but PIDs in HX machines are just selling points. People read the internerd and think "I gotta have me one of these" etc...

Can you adjust the HX temp with a thermostat, or do you need a PID for that? I understand it's not giving direct control over brew temp, but I'm guessing that the fact that with a PID (and a display) you often are able to adjust the HX boiler temp means it's still useful to make adjustment to the HX boiler temp.
    Yes to both- but the PID makes it easier. Net result is still pretty much nothing at the group though- as previously discussed.

Basically, if I was to purchase the Evo, am I missing out on something by not getting a PID?
    Nope- if it's all about nuances of black coffee/espresso and light roast, then a PID dual boiler or dipper leva is the go. Otherwise, HX is HX and you will see zero difference in the cup from plus V3 to EVO. Ours currently include a potential freebie boxed Rocket naked portafilter as well.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 15th April 2015 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks for your prompt replies, Chris, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    People read the internerd and think "I gotta have me one of these" etc...
    Yes, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm more interested in noticeable differences, like a more quiet rotary pump and the ability to hook it up to a water line should I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Net result is still pretty much nothing at the group though- as previously discussed.
    So is adjusting HX temp more to do with changing steam pressure then, or why would you adjust it?

Thank you

TC
    So is adjusting HX temp more to do with changing steam pressure then, or why would you adjust it?
    Pretty much. We find we set the PID at circa 120 deg and that works well.

Why would you want to adjust it? Dunno- unless you want a big cooling flush (hotter) or rubbish steam (cooler)

Silence and the ability to plumb in. The EVO does all of that and produces great coffee as well!

Cheers

C

Great, thank you.