Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: ECM Giotto will not pump or build pressure

ECM Giotto will not pump or build pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hope I'm in the right place. I inherited an ECM Giotto that had been sitting in storage for over a year. I cleaned it up, filled it with water, and turned it on. The pump ran for about 5 minutes, then shut off and the pressure went up to about 1 bar. I blew steam through the wand and then let the pressure build again and then I activated the lever and got a trickle of water through the group head and then nothing. The pressure fell and will not come back up, and I get nothing from the steam wand or the hot water. My theory is that whatever water was left in the boiler heated up and it pressurized, but for some reason the pump is failing to actually pump water into the boiler now. I can hear the pump (it's not exactly quiet) but otherwise nothing. It shuts off after a bit but no pressure. Is there any chance this thing is somehow air locked? Everything else seemed ok but now nothing. Any help or pointers appreciated. The machine otherwise appears to be in very good shape.

TC
    Welcome pgralen,

Probably a blocked gicleur (jet).

Remove the smaller of the 2 nuts from the top of the group and then use a 7mm socket to remove the gicleur. You will see it as a hex nut when you look inside. Clear it with something thin.

Let us know how you go.

I'll try that but I don't think that's it - because when I turn it on and then try the wand and/or the hot water I get nothing. But I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help.

Now when I turn on the pump I can hear it but get no heat at all in the boiler.

Hi there, my wife just bought one of these models second hand and despite the seller claiming it had been serviced recently it only made a few cups before getting what appears to be an air block - at least the pump makes sounds but isn't shifting water when turned on. So, I am interested in the OP's problem as it appears similar to what we have issue with too.

As things stand, I'm planning to open the unit up and do a clean out as suspect the pump or nearby valve is blocked, as soon as I have a day off.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnz View Post
    Hi there, my wife just bought one of these models second hand and despite the seller claiming it had been serviced recently it only made a few cups before getting what appears to be an air block - at least the pump makes sounds but isn't shifting water when turned on. So, I am interested in the OP's problem as it appears similar to what we have issue with too.

As things stand, I'm planning to open the unit up and do a clean out as suspect the pump or nearby valve is blocked, as soon as I have a day off.
    Unlikely. Assuming it's heating, it's more likely a blocked/failed solenoid or blocked gicleur.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Unlikely. Assuming it's heating, it's more likely a blocked/failed solenoid or blocked gicleur.
    Thanks for reply. Yes, the pump is functioning. The gicleur in the top of the group is not blocked so I will see what I can check on the solenoid.
    There is no heating happening that I can tell. The pressure doesn't rise on the gauge and I can't feel any warmth around the boiler or element (ambient temp here is only 10 Celsius so should be noticible if it was heating).

To clarify. When switched on the pump keeps running but no rise in pressure or heating. There is no power to the element.
    I have just opened up the head and everything is very clean with minimal corrosion and no scale.

I think I should start my own thread rather than take this one over. Apologies pgralen

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnz View Post
    Thanks for reply. Yes, the pump is functioning. The gicleur in the top of the group is not blocked so I will see what I can check on the solenoid.
    There is no heating happening that I can tell. The pressure doesn't rise on the gauge and I can't feel any warmth around the boiler or element (ambient temp here is only 10 Celsius so should be noticible if it was heating).

To clarify. When switched on the pump keeps running but no rise in pressure or heating. There is no power to the element.
    I have just opened up the head and everything is very clean with minimal corrosion and no scale.

I think I should start my own thread rather than take this one over. Apologies pgralen
    Ok- It could be thermal switch, element or most likely a dead control board. Sounds like you have multiple issues to me.

A friends Giotto had these same symptoms. It ended up being the small signal transistors on the control board.
    Not a simple repair, best suited to an experienced technician and someone who can solder. I've seen "technicians" who can do up a bolt or connect a pipe but can't solder to save their life.

TC
    I can't solder to save my life but I can fix machines. My tech however is an electronics engineer (and part time superhero) amongst other things...
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    A friends Giotto had these same symptoms. It ended up being the small signal transistors on the control board.
    Not a simple repair, best suited to an experienced technician and someone who can solder. I've seen "technicians" who can do up a bolt or connect a pipe but can't solder to save their life.
    That is a hopeful lead. I actually took apart the control box this afternoon amongst a handful of other items I tested and looked over. There were no burnt out components or cold solder joints noticeable so I just put it back together. I have done plenty of soldering in my time so may just swap out the transistor(s) to see if that helps, but first would like some feedback on other observations I made over in my own thread here...