Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 2 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By tashie

Thread: Problem with my Giove

Problem with my Giove

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    It's been a while since I've posted on here! I need a bit of a hand troubleshooting my machine. Unfortunately for me, we've just moved to Sri Lanka and I don't know if there are any coffee technicians here.

The problem is that my machine seems to not be getting up to pressure all the time - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I've attached a picture of the machine - I think the pressure gauge on the right is not reaching 9 bar.

Sometimes, when I am pulling a shot, it gets up to 9-10 then drops back down to 4-5 again. I can hear the sound go from loud to soft again. I'm guessing it's a pump problem (very bad news for me as I don't know how I'd get the part, let alone fix it) but I'm just putting it out there in case anyone has any ideas. Maybe it's a loose connection as sometimes the pump gets up to pressure and sometimes it doesn't?

Would love your thoughts please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Tashie, I'm sorry I can't help you, but how old is your machine, I have one too and am therefore interested in what the fault is. Reading the Breville threads, problems with not reaching pressure are related to the Over Pressure Valve (OPV) not working properly, I wonder if this might be the case here? I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will be along shortly to give advice - good luck!

Thanks t2, looking through the CS archives it seems like I bought it in Mar 2011. I've had virtually no problems with it for four years, though had some problems with it in the beginning (apparently something to do with the SSR relay?). The guys at 9 Bar were amazing and sorted it all out with no hassles then. Since then, I've had zero issues with it.

I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone - love the dual PID display and the two visible pressure valves. Small footprint too. I'm honestly surprised it's not more popular on CS.

Thanks for the thoughts on the OPV, hope that's it. Finger's crossed it's a small part I can get posted out to me!

Out of interest "tashie"...

Have you tried to contact the good folk at 9 Bar about this problem? Since they know the machine, might be a good place to start...

Mal.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 3rd May 2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Commercial email link(s) removed

I have Mal, just waiting on them to get back to me. Was just hoping to find out on here if it was potentially an easy or complicated fix.

TC
    Hi Tashie,

Sorry to inform, but off the top of my head, it could be any of or a combination of all of: pump, opv, solenoid/s, group pistons.

Tech expertise required!

Cheers

Chris
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks Chris, it's working fine again so I shall keep my fingers crossed and pray to the coffee gods.

Disappointingly, no reply from 9Bar and I haven't been able to reach them due to time difference, but will post back what the issue is when I do.

Are you handy to take on the job yourself? Will be tough to ship it across the sea to get it fixed...

Parts shouldn't be a problem. If it's the pump, you could probably get one imported(ebay may work even) or even locally sourced (Ulka pump is all too common). The Giove seems like a variant of the Italian E61 boxes, just with a different case and a DB configuration. So more or less it should share many common parts as the other common E61 box machines, except for some piping and maybe the brainbox. Speaking of which, Coffeeparts should be able to ship the common parts internationally.

The hurdle is to identify the source of problem. The pump seems to be the easy choice and often the case. If you have used it daily for 4 years, it's not a bad thing just to replace it (treat it as an early maintenance). It's a moving part after all and is subjected to wear and tear.

On another note, do you notice the heating element or the autofill turning on when the pressure drops? Usually low pressure is caused by i) old pump ii) didn't get enough power, or iii) there're some scale/partial blockage/leakage somewhere.
    Last edited by samuellaw178; 13th May 2015 at 10:29 PM.

9Bar aren't the same as they were 4 years ago. Google says they're closed. Permanently.

Someone more in the know might clarify the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    9Bar aren't the same as they were 4 years ago. Google says they're closed. Permanently.

Someone more in the know might clarify the situation.
    I don't think that's correct. A while back they moved from Abbotsford to Dandenong. Looking at Google right now, its not telling me closed permanently, it says closed now (its night time) and lists open hours as 8:00-4:30 Monday to Friday.

You're right, the closed permanently on google related to the Grosvenor St. site.

I know they went to Dandenong and teamed up with the guys from Disavé.

Their website lists them to be operating as mobile machine mechanics but I don't know exactly what their status is.

I'm not sure whether they were bought out by another entity and the name retained.

TC
    Hi Tashie,

I really don't think there is much value in trying to get 9Bar or Disave for that matter as they are not going to be able to offer you any more than I have in my earlier suggestions. The fault you are experiencing could be the result of a single fault or a combination of faults.

What you really need to do is find a competent tech who is preferably not too far away and have your machine serviced.

A note also for others. When a good tech services a machine, preventative maintenance will also occur. This will include items like looking over group pistons for failing seals and other items. This will often nip potential issues in the bud so to speak.

The number of machines we see at 5 or more years old and never serviced is a worry. Most wouldn't do it to a car, so please don't do it to your machine!

Good luck with the repair tashie. If all else fails and you can find an economical way of getting it back (accompanied baggage with a friend?), we are happy to attend to it for you.

Chris
    chokkidog and tashie like this.

I've found technicians, but whether they are good or not remains to be seen. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by samuellaw178 View Post
    Are you handy to take on the job yourself? Will be tough to ship it across the sea to get it fixed...

Parts shouldn't be a problem. If it's the pump, you could probably get one imported(ebay may work even) or even locally sourced (Ulka pump is all too common). The Giove seems like a variant of the Italian E61 boxes, just with a different case and a DB configuration. So more or less it should share many common parts as the other common E61 box machines, except for some piping and maybe the brainbox. Speaking of which, Coffeeparts should be able to ship the common parts internationally.

The hurdle is to identify the source of problem. The pump seems to be the easy choice and often the case. If you have used it daily for 4 years, it's not a bad thing just to replace it (treat it as an early maintenance). It's a moving part after all and is subjected to wear and tear.

On another note, do you notice the heating element or the autofill turning on when the pressure drops? Usually low pressure is caused by i) old pump ii) didn't get enough power, or iii) there're some scale/partial blockage/leakage somewhere.
    Sorry, not sure how I missed this. Thanks, I think I might try that! Had a tech look at it and he descaled the machine but I think the problem is elsewhere...

Just a quick update to say that I think it was a pump related issue. Pump replaced and it hasn't happened again.
    Dimal likes this.