Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By TOK
  • 4 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By water_dragon
  • 1 Post By water_dragon

Thread: VBM domobar junior will not back flush and pota filter now will not fit

VBM domobar junior will not back flush and pota filter now will not fit

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well my month old VBM is not back flushing, I tried chemical back flush to find the OPV is not letting anything out into the drip tray ..not one drop and after removing the portafilter it will not fit back in the machine was showing 9 bar on the gauge I rang coffee parts this morning to be told send email as I am not a morning person......what no coffee? any idea's please as I don't see help forthcoming soon after that response. Cheers all
    Last edited by water_dragon; 5th May 2015 at 03:16 PM.

Looks like your 3way solenoid valve in stuck. Might be full of gunk? When was the last time you back flushed your machine with water or detergent?

When you pulled shots prior to back flushing did water drip out in the tray after stopping the shot?

This machine is only four weeks old, I have done flush after each session 2 coffee's a day with 4 stage filtered water. I was not noticing if the exhaust valve was opening until I removed the grill so I could see and it was not, as for the portafilter not fitting I imagine it is the back pressure that has moved the screen and seal down when I released the pressure by taking off the portafilter. It will not fit in even with the basket taken out.

G'day mate...

Watch these videos on the ECA website (the Oz VBM importers and distributors) by Scottie Callaghan. If you are unable to achieve the desired results after following the advice in these, then maybe you need to have someone demonstrate the correct method in getting the best out of your machine...

Cheers,
    Mal.

TOK
    Hi water_dragon.

please check your "after sales service". If I were you I would be hammering your retailer for the helpful advice he should be giving you instantly in lieu of you having given them your hard earned only a few weeks ago......

If the exhaust valve was not working at all you would have known, because every time you removed the group handle after making coffee the un-exhausted pressure would blow the group handle off in your hand and possibly cover your wrist with hot scalding coffee grinds. That is if you remove the handle straight after brewing coffee. The longer you wait before removing the group handle, the less backed up pressure there is likely to be when you remove it.

Assuming the exhaust valve wasnt/isnt working you have 2 problems. One appears to be a warrantable problem, the other is just a typical after effect of the first. You can relocate the group seal & shower, but the rest is up to your retailer OR his service provider.

Check your warranty statement, then follow the protocol.

kopigeek, the group valve on this model is mechanical, not an electrovalve.

Hope that helps.
    TC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post

kopigeek, the group valve on this model is mechanical, not an electrovalve.
    thanks TOK, good to know as I have the same unit.

Hey - I was thinking about upgrading to a VBM Domobar Jr. Can you let us know what the issue was? Also, if you don't get satisfactory assistance to rectify the problem let us know - I have 2 Domobars at work and will reverse engineer one and see if I can see a potential fix. The E-61 g/h manual edition is pretty straight forward and like TOK says, it's a mechanical exhaust operated by a cam which is controlled by the operation handle.

TC
    Hello wg,

Sorry to hear you have an issue- albeit minor.

A look over e-61 group anatomy will show you that there are three pistons each with an associated spring.

Either something is broken or the exhaust is blocked with some form of debris.

An allen key and a couple of spanners will provide you with the answer to your question and the fix will be straightforward.

If you don't feel comfortable having a look, it's a warranty service item.

FWIW, we have never experienced this issue in many hundreds of VBM machines. I'm guessing debris.

Let us know how you go.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hello wg,

Sorry to hear you have an issue- albeit minor.

A look over e-61 group anatomy will show you that there are three pistons each with an associated spring.

Either something is broken or the exhaust is blocked with some form of debris.

An allen key and a couple of spanners will provide you with the answer to your question and the fix will be straightforward.

If you don't feel comfortable having a look, it's a warranty service item.

FWIW, we have never experienced this issue in many hundreds of VBM machines. I'm guessing debris.

Let us know how you go.

Chris
    Thanks for your reply Chris, I have emailed them, phoned them no reply I have told "Pedro" exactly what the problem is . His reply was too early in the morning to think He sent me an email saying he would get in touch with VBM nothing so far in the email he asked for video of the exhaust valve under pressure no way is that possible without resistance. I am not willing to remove the shower screen and gasket at this stage in case they say I did something to it. I also rang today to be told no one there to help me I have left 2 phone numbers but no reply. I will try to contact them tomorrow if that does not work then I will seek every legal avenue I can. I have been buying online for 15 yr's due to my remote location. Never have I had such bad service any where. I am glad I did not sell the BES 900 yet, at least while this debacle takes it's course I can still have good expresso every day.

Another issue I noticed is the puck is always wet and soggy just the first millimetre the rest just snaps like the puck should if dosed properly. Would this indicate some thing not right with the pressure shut off. I really appreciate all the support I am getting here

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Hey - I was thinking about upgrading to a VBM Domobar Jr. Can you let us know what the issue was? Also, if you don't get satisfactory assistance to rectify the problem let us know - I have 2 Domobars at work and will reverse engineer one and see if I can see a potential fix. The E-61 g/h manual edition is pretty straight forward and like TOK says, it's a mechanical exhaust operated by a cam which is controlled by the operation handle.
    Thank you for your reply, I am not game to touch it just in case it voids my warranty. I could do this myself but this is only a few weeks old and from day one it has 4 stage water filtration. I am sure it can only be some thing minor but the lack of help from "coffee part's" is nothing short of appalling.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by water_dragon View Post
    Thanks for your reply Chris, I have emailed them, phoned them no reply I have told "Pedro" exactly what the problem is . His reply was too early in the morning to think He sent me an email saying he would get in touch with VBM nothing so far in the email he asked for video of the exhaust valve under pressure no way is that possible without resistance. I am not willing to remove the shower screen and gasket at this stage in case they say I did something to it. I also rang today to be told no one there to help me I have left 2 phone numbers but no reply. I will try to contact them tomorrow if that does not work then I will seek every legal avenue I can. I have been buying online for 15 yr's due to my remote location. Never have I had such bad service any where. I am glad I did not sell the BES 900 yet, at least while this debacle takes it's course I can still have good expresso every day.

Another issue I noticed is the puck is always wet and soggy just the first millimetre the rest just snaps like the puck should if dosed properly. Would this indicate some thing not right with the pressure shut off. I really appreciate all the support I am getting here
    Hi wg,

If you're likely to be down our way at all, bring it in and I'll resolve it for you. We sell VBM, so your warranty will be fine.

Alternately, give me a buzz tomorrow and I can talk you through the checks we'd do. My opinion is that you can't do anything which will cause damage so long as you proceed carefully.

Perhaps Pedro was just having a bad day, so give him the benefit.

Chris

Well I finally got to talk with Salvatore, who was helpful sending me diagrams of the group head on the VBM after replacing the shower screen and the gasket, we worked out it was the large nut on the exhaust valve "About 37mm" was not tight it tightened up about an inch or so. after that everything was fine and no more wet top of puck either. Pity I could not of spoken to him first, would of stopped days of frustration with dealing with the other person who was only helpful in selling it to me.
    Dimal, TC and sprezzatura like this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by water_dragon View Post
    Well I finally got to talk with Salvatore, who was helpful sending me diagrams of the group head on the VBM after replacing the shower screen and the gasket, we worked out it was the large nut on the exhaust valve "About 37mm" was not tight it tightened up about an inch or so. after that everything was fine and no more wet top of puck either. Pity I could not of spoken to him first, would of stopped days of frustration with dealing with the other person who was only helpful in selling it to me.
    Glad that you are all resolved wd. Now you can enjoy what is a wonderful machine.

Cheers

Chris

Great news - thanks for the report!

Well the VBM has not missed a beat, very impressed with this machine and the Vario grinder too, now to sell my Breville dual boiler and smart grinder which I will try to sell locally.
    TC likes this.