Thread: VBM Super Lever on the fritz!

VBM Super Lever on the fritz!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My VBM Super Lever is about 7 years old and has been serviced regularly. The last service was in November 2014.

I have just noticed two things:
    - the hot water tap produces no hot water. None. I don't use it much - obviously.
    - at the end of extraction when I push the lever down there doesn't appear to be any discharge through the 3-way valve. When I remove the handle there is a "whoosh" sound at the basket and the coffee puck is very wet. The coffee is bitter.

I am wondering about repairing vs purchasing a new machine.

Who has any thoughts?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by apprenticebarista View Post
    My VBM Super Lever is about 7 years old and has been serviced regularly. The last service was in November 2014.

I have just noticed two things:
    - the hot water tap produces no hot water. None. I don't use it much - obviously.
    - at the end of extraction when I push the lever down there doesn't appear to be any discharge through the 3-way valve. When I remove the handle there is a "whoosh" sound at the basket and the coffee puck is very wet. The coffee is bitter.

I am wondering about repairing vs purchasing a new machine.

Who has any thoughts?
    I think it has received a token service. Your machine requires service of the steam/hot water valves and of the group. These are both inexpensive items and the checks should be a part of any service. They are with ours.

Thanks to Chris for the reply.

This morning I found that a fairly large amount of water had leaked out of the machine overnight. It was turned off.

I am leaning towards buying a new machine rather than spending (potentially) hundreds of dollars repairing a seven year old one.

TC
    No worries. You just need a service by a tech who knows what he's doing. There's still nothing here which particularly concerns me.

Easy fixerupper for a suitably inclined CS'er