Thread: Tap seal. New o-ring?

Tap seal. New o-ring?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The steam knob on my Simona Top has been leaking water out the front onto the front panel of the machine occasionally. I pulled out the tap tonight and pulled it apart. It looks like there used to be an o-ring in there but it's long since perished. Can someone confirm for me that I need to place a new o-ring where there's a bit of a space at the end of the thread? Cheers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431686132.359711.jpg

Hello Leroy,
    Besides your "o" ring,your steam spindle is rather raggered with it's thread,serious damage there and most likely internal thread damage of the valve itself.
    An "o" ring suitable for high temperature would be necessary,it's odd that there is no marking on the spindle shaft,what's the valve body like....I mean ,would the valve spindle (complete with "o" ring) fit together nicely?
    All other valve spindles I've come across have provision for sealing machined into the shaft however,I'm always on that "slippery" learning curve!
    Since the valve spindle already has some thread damage,some leakage would be expected,you may get away with it ,with the addition of a "o" ring ,even if no sealing was there to begin with.
    Have fun with your machine,
    Cheers,
    Mick.

G'day Mick,

Hmmm, food for thought. I think I understand what you're saying, but it's a bit beyond my low level of technical knowledge. I should've taken more photos when it was apart. I've put the o-ring right next to the nut as it looked like the old one was there. When I reassembled it the o-ring fit inside the valve body ok without squishing out the gap so I guess it should work. There was a little play in the spindle but it didn't seem too bad so I'll keep using it for now. It's a big valve assembly and a replacement wouldn't be cheap I reckon so I won't go crazy at this stage. I'll let you know how it goes when it's back in use. Thanks Mick.

After finally reassembling my machine recently I've found that the steam valve is still leaking water at times. It usually comes out behind the knob. So I guess the oring didn't work and I'll need a new valve assembly. Any suggestions anyone?

Is it leaking from the threaded fitting, or through the valve spindle?
    A few pics of the valve might help.

No sure if this will help. When replacing an 'o' ring in a tap spindle I usually roll up some fine wet or dry sand paper and clean the inside of the spindle. This gets rid of the glazing minor imperfections and makes a better surface for the 'o' ring to seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
    Is it leaking from the threaded fitting, or through the valve spindle?
    A few pics of the valve might help.
    That's the valve assembly pictured above when I first had it out. Does that show you enough? I can take it out again and take some more pics with it apart if it'd help. It's leaking out the very front and dripping down the front of the machine. It's not constant, it seems to be mostly when I purge after using it.

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya View Post
    No sure if this will help. When replacing an 'o' ring in a tap spindle I usually roll up some fine wet or dry sand paper and clean the inside of the spindle. This gets rid of the glazing minor imperfections and makes a better surface for the 'o' ring to seal.
    Cheers, I've got some 1200 so I might have a go. So far the only replacement part I can find is nearly $100, so I'd rather not spend that if I don't have to.

Not sure if it helps but this is the machine I'm talking about.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436160897.545209.jpg

It leaks out where the steam knob is here on the right and drips down the front panel.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436160991.477368.jpg