Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bosco_Lever

Thread: Flushing the boiler

Flushing the boiler

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Occasionally I will drain a good 300-500mL from the boiler of my faithfull old Giotto Premium Plus via the hot water tap just to cycle some fresh water into the boiler. However sometimes like today I will drain the boiler completely.
    My questions are:
    - is this worthwhile?
    - what is the best way to drain the boiler. I usually just turn off the machine, move it next to the sink and open up the hot water tap. When the water stops running out, I tilt the machine to drain the dregs (remove the water tank of course) and
    - should I wait until the boiler has cooled before I turn the machine back on? I'm concerned about introducing cold water into a boiler that is still very hot, especially as winter approaches and the tap water is colder?

I drained the steam/hot water boiler in my Linea this morning through the water tap. This is how I always do it.

The steam boiler is insulated, so retains heat longer than a non-insulated boiler. I waited 5 hours before refilling the boiler. I didn't want lots of cold water going into an almost empty hot boiler (and hitting a hot heating element).

I rarely turn the steam/hot water boiler on in this machine but like to refresh the water every month or so.

Thanks Paolo. I didn't think of the impact on the element. My initial concern was about the boiler itself.

It's probably several minutes between the time I drain and refill the boiler but in future i think I will drain the boiler when I'm finished using the machine and let it refill the next day while cold.

On my Bosco, I remove the OPV valve, insert a spare 1m length of white 12mm speedpex pipe (John Guest push fit system), and syphon the water out of the boiler.
    Nice and easy.
    Dimal likes this.