Thread: Diadema overheating

Diadema overheating

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Fellow CSers,

My Diadema Perfetta decided to lose its temperature control this morning after making a milk based coffee.

After steaming the milk, I refilled the boiler and let the machine come back down to brewing temperature in preparation for a 2nd coffee.

The machine then lost its temperature control with the green light coming back on and the element heating the boiler up to steam temperature. The pressure gauge went up and started to waver back and forth between 8 and 10 bars. Flushing the group head produced tons of steam.

Any ideas what may have caused this unstable behaviour? Is the rheostat faulty? Did I not fill the bolier with enough water between coffees?

The machine was purchased 2nd had from a CS'er and has just been serviced.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Just reporting back that the machine is now behaving normally. It must just have been a hiccup. Although there weren't any replies, I did get a few views. Thx.

G'day Sam...

Good to hear that your Perfetta is now working Ok....

I have never owned or played with one so am unfamiliar with the internals. However, given that this happened once, there must be a component that's on the way to giving up the ghost so would probably pay to be somewhat cautious. Does the Perfetta use a Pressurestat or a Thermostat to control the Boiler? Whichever one it is, it might pay to check under the bonnet (with the unit unplugged) and verify that the contacts of the p/t/stat are not on the way out, i.e. burning up. It is possible that the contacts welded together for a short time before, causing the uncontrollable boiler temperature - Not a good thing....

If it's a Thermostat, these are reasonably inexpensive to buy and easy to replace. If a Pressurestat, these are somewhat more expensive and require a bit more work to replace but still not difficult. Worth the effort of checking and replacing the faulty unit...

Mal.