Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By artman
  • 2 Post By dmo

Thread: Purchase advice Lilet p60 vs Giotto PID vs Giotto Evolution vs Vibriemme domobar jnr

Purchase advice Lilet p60 vs Giotto PID vs Giotto Evolution vs Vibriemme domobar jnr

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I'm in the market for a new espresso machine but get confused with all the different specs. Basically I want to make cafe quality espresso with milk at home with a machine that is aesthetically appealing and not too slow (although recognise a timer is always an option). It seems I am in the market for a HX or DB machine. My price range is $1500-$2800. The Lelit p60 v2 seems to be the cheapest option while the Rocket seems the prettiest option but I can't work out what else I should be looking at to decide between the other machines. I do like the idea of being less noisy, I do like the idea of it not taking too long to heat up but recognise all machines will take a while. What other factors should I be considering to make my decision?

Aesthetics are a personal choice. Most/all machines need about 30 mins to fully warm up. There are many great options in your price range that are capable of great coffees with the right technique and fresh beans.

Don't forget to get a decent grinder if you don't have one.

A rotary pumped machine will be quieter than a vibe pump.

Best to check them out in person and have a play if possible.

Cheers
    Dimal, TC and mbarber like this.

TC
    Welcome mbarber,

Many of the site sponsors have buyers guides which will be a good start. You may like to have a read over ours and you are most welcome to make contact if I can be of assistance.

Cheers.

Chris

dmo
    I went through the decision process in March/April, starting with a similar list to you. My first decision was that for the coffee I wanted to make (mainly milk drinks and occasional long black) a HX would be perfectly suitable so I didn't need a DB. I really like the look of the Giotto and it seemed to have a good reputation, so at this point I was leaning towards getting the PID version. However then I started reading about how awesome it is to have your machine plumbed in and how it wasn't that difficult to do. For that reason I ended up getting the Evoluzione. I'm very happy with my decision and having a plumbed in machine really was more than worth the extra cost of the Evo for me. Having said that, if you are not interested in plumbing in, there is no reason I can see to get a rotary pump machine. Vibe pump is a bit noisier, but both are very quiet compared to most grinders.

I also highly recommend Talk Coffee if you are in Melbourne.
    Dimal and TC like this.

Thanks for your replies and advice!

I have read the buyers guide at Talk Coffee and other guides and found them very useful. I wish I lived in Melbourne so I could go test the machines at Talk Coffee. Brisbane doesn't seem to have the same options.

I have a particular question I'm keen to know the answer to. The Lelit p60 v2 seems to be just as good as the other machines but much cheaper and less aesthetically pleasing. Is it actually as good a machine as the others despite being a lot cheaper?

Site Sponsor
    In terms of making great coffee you need a machine that is temperature stable and has good steam. The Lelit PL60T does both of those jobs admirably so for those that have $2K to spend and want great coffee it should be on the short list. Then there are other factors that come into play including aesthetics, ergonomics, etc You can try the Brisbane Lelit agents to see if they have a PL60T on the bench that you can try: lelit.com.au

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    In terms of making great coffee you need a machine that is temperature stable and has good steam. The Lelit PL60T does both of those jobs admirably so for those that have $2K to spend and want great coffee it should be on the short list. Then there are other factors that come into play including aesthetics, ergonomics, etc You can try the Brisbane Lelit agents to see if they have a PL60T on the bench that you can try: lelit.com.au

charlie
    The Lelit pl60t does indeed seem like a good option. It is much cheaper than the Giotto PID or Vibriemme domobar junior and seemingly a comparable machine. It is not as pretty as the other two and probably not as ergonomically I suspect, is there any other factor that might justify the price increase?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's just that some beauties need to be a bit further away from the eye....

Having just gone through this process myself, I can vouch for the confusion, and given that it's a reasonable spend on a household appliance, it's worth taking your time to get it right!

I am in the process of upgrading from a Gaggia Classic to what will most likely be an Expobar Minore IV (Dbl boiler) or a Rocket Giotto (HX) ( I know, I know they are both very different machines!!!). For me the difficulty is the very good value proposition of the Expobar (I mean 2 boilers! It must be twice as good right???), and the very, very sexy look of the Giotto! Decisions, decisions.

A word of advice? Once you decide on a shortlist that meets all of your requirements, go for the one that you like the look & feel of. You're going to be looking at it first thing of a morning for some time to come, so you might as well enjoy it.

As for the heat up time? As has been said once or twice before on this (wonderful!) forum, grab a $10 "auto on timer" from bunnys (think big green shed) or some such and set it to turn on 45mins before you need to use it and you'll be sweet. One very warmed up and ready to go machine!

Oh, and one last thing.... Get a decent grinder.... compak, mazzer, macap. Hands down best 'accessory' for a great machine.

I am in a similar situation, in Brisbane looking for a new machine as a first timer. Friends of mine have the Isomac Tea Due and are very experienced Baristas. Have you considered one of those? Would have happy to hear any opinions about the Isomac also?