Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By chrisl

Thread: Advice Please: Kitchenaid KES2102 for sale - second hand & cheap. Your advice needed!

Advice Please: Kitchenaid KES2102 for sale - second hand & cheap. Your advice needed!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    First time poster! I am trying to escape the injustice that is a Segafredo Pod machine!

Anyway I enjoy reading threads here and y'all seem very knowledgeable so as I have found a Kitchenaid machine that retails around $2000 - for sale at around $700.

Ive great respect for Kitchenaid as a manufacturer of Kitchen equipment but Im not going to purchase a machine in a high price point that experts - (that's you) advise is not even worth that 'cheap' price.

All help appreciated

That KA machine is not a bad unit.
    solid build, and separate steam generator.
    But..
    At that price, there are much better used machines available .

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    But..
    At that price, there are much better used machines available .
    Thanks for a speedy reply Blend52 , yes it does look solid. Im intrigued as to what you think might be a good value 2nd hand machine. Im pretty desperate as we fell for that easy pod coffee trap for home a few years ago. I'd really like to put the fun back into coffee prep at home!

These machines are capable of making a really good coffee. They have the same internals as a Gaggia Classic, but with the convenience of being a double boiler. Unfortunately they suffer from a couple of major design flaws that lead to most of them having serious issues even when used carefully. If you're prepared to make some modifications you can get them going really well, but if you read the following thread you'll see that you need to go to some lengths to achieve this: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...out-there.html

The amusing thing about these machines though, is that the main contributor to the feeling of solidity, is the heavy steel base-plate fitted to them.
    A nice looking machine for sure, and relatively capable too but I wouldn't pay more than ~$400 for one....

You see some really decent used Lelit machines come up from time to time in the 4-Sale section, sometimes Combi's too (includes an inbuilt decent grinder). Just keep an eye out for one to come along....

Mal.
    LeroyC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    The amusing thing about these machines though, is that the main contributor to the feeling of solidity, is the heavy steel base-plate fitted to them...
    l.
    Helped also by the thick , solid casting of the entire outer casing !

TOK
    Well, as you are seeking opinions then mine is this:
    The machine is highly overpriced at 2g, and if you have found a used one going for 7 hundies, then why not simply buy something of equal quality or better, new, in the under 1g price range with new machine guarantee and after sales service?

And no, I wouldnt buy something with an aluminium boiler anyways...

These machines are not brilliant. The momentary hot water switch will break, the boilers will eventually leak, the gauges will stop working, the paint will start to bubble and peel off the base after a while.

They don't look particularly good IMO and regardless of the initial appearance of good build quality, everything is sort of jammed into place inside the body. The water tank is only accessible from the back and is fiddly to get into place and remove. Once the paint starts to bubble and flake off above the tank it'll start falling into the water.

I've seen many of these machines and they all, regardless of how well they've been kept, will suffer from at least one or two, if not all, of these problems. All of them had faulty gauges though.

If you have $700 to spend, that will get you a brand new Sunbeam EM7000 (on special) or an EM6910. Second hand you will have enough left over for a decent grinder and some accessories (good tamper, knock box etc.)
    You may even find a second hand Breville dual boiler come up for $700 or under, I've seen a few on here being sold for around that price.

Gumtree is worth a look for a used 6910.
    Ours died after 6 years, and we found one as new for $175, including the EM480 burr grinder.
    Sold the grinder for $100 (we have a Breville smart grinder, which is a step up), so scored an as new 6910 for $75 :-)
    taco likes this.