Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By CaffeinatedAndrew

Thread: Exbobar Minore Grouphead parts

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    61

    Expobar Minore Grouphead parts

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi snobs,

    I'm trying to get some parts for my group head which has started leaking out the bottom of the 3way valve. I'm planning on replacing all the serviceable parts while I'm at it i.e all the O-rings/gaskets maybe springs depending on condition. I've found Bombora water supplies has parts for the group head but you have to know exactly which ones you need and choose them individually. Does anyone do a full service kit to make it easier to order so I don't forget anything? Feel free to tell me to stop being so lazy and find all the individual parts needed. It's Sat morning, haven't had enough cups to give me that motivation yet.
    Last edited by CaffeinatedAndrew; 27th June 2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,129
    Might as well replace all the seals, they're cheap and doing them all will make everything run smoother. It might not necessarily require all the seals being replaced but doing them all will give 100% reliability and satisfaction.

    Parts required (ref. http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/ecm/ecm-spare-parts-1):

    3 x 519545
    2 x 602576

    Also grab a tube of 591662 which is food grade grease for the new seals. You can also use Inox MX6 which I find a good alternative.

    I doubt you will need new springs but give them a visual assessment when you do the teardown. There's some good guides on youtube demonstrating how to replace the various seals.

  3. #3
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,775
    I thought the Expobar E-61 used a propriety group-head design 'n22'....
    Are they otherwise the same as the ECM group-head?

    Mal.

  4. #4
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,775
    Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    I doubt you will need new springs but give them a visual assessment when you do the teardown.
    Just a tip on how to preserve the life of the valve springs in the E-61 design....

    When you finish a coffee session and turn the machine Off, move the group lever to the halfway position whereupon the springs are allowed to remain in a 'relaxed' state. This will ensure as long a service life as is possible within the overall design of the valve system. An old trick from a competition big-bore shooter....

    Mal.
    artman likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    61
    hmmm.... was about to pull the trigger on ordering those parts but now I'm worried that they won't be correct? I like your idea about relieving the pressure off of the springs

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    I thought the Expobar E-61 used a propriety group-head design 'n22'....
    Are they otherwise the same as the ECM group-head?

    Mal.
    As far as I know it's just a standard E61. I haven't seen an E61 mechanically operated group that doesn't use the same parts as the others but I am yet to see them all and I have been wrong before hehe.
    I checked the exploded views and they look the same. I can't imagine they would have gone to the effort of using different sized seals, pistons etc. as well when there was a perfectly good group already in production.

    Perhaps someone who knows 100% can just confirm before you order the parts.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    61
    I did the same, checked both exploded views which look identical to me. It's not to costly for the parts so I wont lose to much sleep over it if they turn out to be different. Just want to avoid having my machine outta action with the group head dismantled because of it. Need my 6-8 cups a day

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Just a tip on how to preserve the life of the valve springs in the E-61 design....

    When you finish a coffee session and turn the machine Off, move the group lever to the halfway position whereupon the springs are allowed to remain in a 'relaxed' state. This will ensure as long a service life as is possible within the overall design of the valve system. An old trick from a competition big-bore shooter....

    Mal.
    providing the machine is not one of those many E61s that let brew water run through with the lever in mid position !
    And the springs are always under compression, even when the lever is in mid position , in order to keep the valves closed and sealed.

  9. #9
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,775
    Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    providing the machine is not one of those many E61s that let brew water run through with the lever in mid position !
    And the springs are always under compression, even when the lever is in mid position , in order to keep the valves closed and sealed.
    I guess that would become obvious to the user at the time...

    For what it's worth, the springs, with the lever midway; are under far less compression than with the handle in the fully lowered position, re the reference to competition large bore shooting - The bolt is always left removed and 'uncocked' between comp's even though the lock spring is still left under a little compression, it retains far better condition than when left fully compressed....

    Mal.

  10. #10
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,775
    Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    As far as I know it's just a standard E61. I haven't seen an E61 mechanically operated group that doesn't use the same parts as the others but I am yet to see them all and I have been wrong before hehe.
    I checked the exploded views and they look the same. I can't imagine they would have gone to the effort of using different sized seals, pistons etc. as well when there was a perfectly good group already in production
    Yes, one would think that an E-61 group is an E-61 group but unfortunately, several different manufacturers make them these days and I have discovered to my detriment that the internal parts of one do not fit that of another. Faema's patent on the E-61 ran out years ago and as far as I know, there are at least three different manufacturers around these days, maybe even more, so it does pay to verify just which version of the group is fitted to your own machine before committing to a set of internal spare parts...
    Pedro at Coffee Parts knows which are which...

    Mal.

  11. #11
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Agreed Mal.

    There are subtle differences. We have found that OEM VBM group internals differ significantly enough from generic "Faema" variants sufficiently enough to render the Faema stuff unusable. Izzo and Rocket are interchangeable, but the Rocket R58 uses a different group variant. The Expobar group also differs slightly in some aspect of anatomy and the parts required.

    I remember when I was doing up the Faema e-61 we had at the warehouse. Purchased what were sold as Faema group internals and found that the upper and lower pistons supplied were unsuitable.

    Chris
    Dimal likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,129
    So will the seals from the ECM E61 fit the Expobar? Or do you think that the pistons themselves may be different but use the same seals?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    319
    Yes the ECM seats will fit.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    61
    Ok so I finally had enough time in my busy life to pull apart and service the group head. For anyone wanting to know, the ECM E61 group head parts are identical to the Expobar Minore parts. Yay!! Machine now feels much nicer to use and my annoying drip out the 3 way valve has now stopped. Cheers for the help....
    Dimal likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •