Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By ajayro57
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: VBM Question....

Lightbulb VBM Question....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey fellow Snobbers,
    I have a machine related question. I have been a very happy owner of a VBM Domobar Junior for going on six years now, and she has never missed a beat. However, in the last month and a bit the anti-vac valve seems to be on the way out as sometimes i come into my kitchen to hear steam hissing out of the top of the machine and the bar pressure to be high, I switch the machine off, she cools down and turn her back on a few hours later and she is fine. My question is am i correct in my theory that it is this part that is the problem? secondly is it expensive to have replaced? (I am thinking it is time for the machine to have a service as it has been almost 3 years ). Lastly is their any long term damage that i might be risking by running her while this part is faulty.

Thanks everyone in advance for the responses & reading.

Paul

G'day Paul....

Are you sure it's not the Safety Valve venting off? The symptoms you describe seem like this is more likely and that you may have a "sticky" pressurestat...

Mal.

Hey Mal,
    You may well be correct i had assumed anti-vac valve. but that would make sense if it was venting steam to be pressure valve, strange thing is that it only happens occasionally, sometimes, i can run the machine for a few hours and it will be fine. Other days after half and hour to an hour it will start venting.

TC
    Mal's on the money.

If the machine has never been serviced, there will be a number of other items well overdue for attention.

We have seen pressurestats rendered useless due to the deposition of scale in the lines that lead to them.

Might be service time derk.

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 29th June 2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Dimal likes this.

Hey Chris, yes I had a service done back in 2012, does not seem to be too much scale at all on the mushroom bolt. But i agree it is probably due for a check up .

Just as an aside Paul, our machine is serviced annually; at least this way, nothing 'big' ever rears its ugly head and the machine always runs beautifully...

Mal.

I had the same problem recently. I was too lazy to take it in for service & didn't want to be without the machine for a few days, so I put up with it by letting the machine cool down and then restarting.
    Later I developed a problem where I was losing pressure mid-shot once the machine had been on for a few hours. This was a worry & I couldn't live with this problem, so I booked-in at my place of purchase (Di Bartoli) for repair/service.
    Turns out I had scale build-up - I shouldn't have disregarded the advice on purchase to use a Brita water filter. Otherwise, a few gaskets and no major repairs. Quick and reasonable.
    I think that was my 2nd service in the 4.5 years since purchase.

Rob

Hi all.... another steam related question (I also have the VBM junior). I watched a barista shutting down their machine the other day and noticed after the machine was turned off, they opened up the steam wand and let all the pressure and steam out. Just wondering if this is standard operating procedure for our home machines when turning off.... does anyone else do this? I haven't been obviously, but I guess it's an easy enough thing to do if it's going to help keep her healthy...
    Cheers,
    Link

I don't bother. When I start the machine and it has warmed up I purge the steam for a second or two.
    daledugahole likes this.

It's really only necessary for those machines that do not have a "vacuum-break valve" fitted or where this valve has become stuck closed due to poor machine maintenance...

Mal.
    daledugahole likes this.