Thread: Expobar Minore IV - Adjustable Pressure Stat

Expobar Minore IV - Adjustable Pressure Stat

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, have read about the "adjustable pressure stat" in the marketing material for the minor IV. Has anyone done this or know how to do it? Or is it simply a case of colourful marketing?

The pressure stat is located on top of the steam boiler. You can wind it up or down depending on what pressure you want to set for your steam boiler(turn it clockwise to increase or anti-clockwise to decrease pressure). Mine come set to about 1Bar but wound it up to 1.5bar which made a huge difference in my milk steaming.

Its the black round thing with notches on it in the bottom left hand side of the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeinatedAndrew View Post
    The pressure stat is located on top of the steam boiler. You can wind it up or down depending on what pressure you want to set for your steam boiler(turn it clockwise to increase or anti-clockwise to decrease pressure). Mine come set to about 1Bar but wound it up to 1.5bar which made a huge difference in my milk steaming.
    Thanks CaffeinatedAndrew. That looks pretty straight forward, but I'm a little nervous after having read on another thread in here about some possible implications for the brew boiler/group head temperature reading at the PID.

I may be completely misunderstanding it, however it kind of went something along the lines of not adjusting the steam temp without a Scase on the group head and being prepared to adjust the PID offset (?) based on the readings at the group head. Given the independent nature of the twin boiler set up I think this is kind of counter intuitive (for me at least!), but then what do I know, I'm not a technician!

This is a round about way of asking, can I adjust the steam temp (easily?!?) without causing any problems for the machine, or is it a bit more complicated and come with consequences that are best left to the professionals.

I'm not made of money (far from it!) so if it's something that I'm able to adjust myself without any warranty implications, as the marketing might suggest (and your helpful advice!), then great, otherwise am I better off, if I really want it adjusted(!), just coughing up the $$$'s for a very talented and skilled fellow to adjust the necessary PID calculations and the steam temp concurrently?

It's not critical, and the whole purpose of adjusting the steam temp is just for my own learning curve (the Minore IV seams to be a bit of a steam beast at the 1.1 bars it's on currently! 1ltr jug? no worries! - but, can it get better??) so if it's complicated, I'll probably just leave it alone, but any knowledge to be shared would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_Dude View Post
    That looks pretty straight forward, but I'm a little nervous after having read on another thread.....
    Stop reading anymore into it, I think you've confused yourself by reading too many threads. It really is as simple as It sounds. Too adjust steam boiler temp all that needs to be done is to wind the pressure stat in/out depending on your desired pressure. This is a totally separate adjustment that will not effect the temp in your group head/brew boiler/PID offset. The only thing I can think of that is remotely related but has absolutely no negative effect is when water that gets pumped into the brew boiler while pulling a shot goes through a heat ex-changer in the steam boiler to bring the cold water from your tank up closer to brewing temp. It does this to help the brew boiler to maintain temp when pulling back to back shots.

OK, thanks. I took the back off and found the pressure stat on mine has some sort of 'housing' over it and in a fiddly position unless I take the water tank holding formwork(?) out, which at this stage might be playing with fire given it involves the pressure plate power cut off thingy. I think I'll give it a miss and leave it till I take it in for an 'annual' and get it 'bumped' up then. Thanks for the reply though, very informative!

you want to post a photo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    you want to post a photo ?
    These will give a bit of an idea of how it is at the moment. The water tank is sitting on a pressure plate which appears to be 'fixed' to the bottom plate.

So to get to the thermostat would mean pulling all of that out, and making sure that I don't 'break' anything in doing so, and to be honest it's 1 week old and I'd like to wait till at least it's first 'service' before I go breaking anything! It steams a 1ltr jug and pulls two shots, if I'm on my game in about 60-90 seconds, with great micro, so adjusting up is only 'playing' on my part. I was just interested to see if it was easily done. Maybe not so easy for someone who's not really sure what they're doing is my thinking! Cheers, for the reply's though!

Take out the water tank, slide the two hose's out of the slit(red arrow), undo the two screws up the top and two down the bottom(red circles) and wah-lah you now have access to the pressure stat. No need to remove any wiring from the water level switch, there's enough slack in it to move the whole tank holder out the way

i think Andrew is right on the money there, i'm going to attempt same adjustment tomorrow on my machine but i suspect it will be easier with the rotary model since there is no internal tank for me to worry about.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_Dude View Post
    So to get to the thermostat would mean pulling all of that out, and making sure that I don't 'break' anything in doing so, and to be honest it's 1 week old and I'd like to wait till at least it's first 'service' before I go breaking anything! It steams a 1ltr jug and pulls two shots, if I'm on my game in about 60-90 seconds, with great micro, so adjusting up is only 'playing' on my part. I was just interested to see if it was easily done. Maybe not so easy for someone who's not really sure what they're doing is my thinking! Cheers, for the reply's though!
    Your machine is performing well- though that is one heck of a lot of milk to be texturing.

I can't see any reason as to why you'd need to muck around while under warranty- especially if the company you purchased from have performed a bench test and set the machine up correctly. Best leave well enough alone.

We repair the results produced by "fiddlers" on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Your machine is performing well- though that is one heck of a lot of milk to be texturing.

I can't see any reason as to why you'd need to muck around while under warranty- especially if the company you purchased from have performed a bench test and set the machine up correctly. Best leave well enough alone.

We repair the results produced by "fiddlers" on a regular basis.
    Thanks CaffeinatedAndrew, I did see those the first time round.

Good luck Croc, I hope the photo's helped. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the sage advice TC. Yeah... I'm sure there's something in there about a cat and curiosity right?
    1ltr jug = 500ml smoothy goodness for the 'Big' boy cups

As my brand new baby, I was keen to find out about all her bits & bobs. The 'manual' is a bit light on and the marketing blurb around the traps touts the ability to adjust this and that. As she was nicely 'bench tested' and set up nice and tidy, and she sits on 1.1 with the steam pressure working just fine, as demonstrated every morning, I'm not going to 'fiddle'.

Thanks for all the reply's.

is your machine with 3 holes steam tip or 2 or even 1 only? i find the opening steam on full blast produce quite wet steam spitting a lot, if i turn the knob only 2/3 of a turn i can steam with dry steam but lots of power is lost compared to lets say full turn and is fair bit harder to get the whirlpool going
    purging does the trick for a shortwhile but if i leave the steam open for few seconds it goes dry....wet....dry.....wet steam
    my unit is very close to 1.1 as well, maybe just little bit under and so drops as you open up the steam and i imagine small bump up would keep her in dry territory without the wet moments just before boiler element kicks in again so this way as she goes up and down the boiler would kick in before the wet zone is reached on the lower end, anyone wish to correct me or my logic? i didn't have the time today so didn't play with it yet, other option i considered was to try different tip, i wonder if breville dual boiler tip got same thread?

Standard 3 hole tip with the normal wet burst (into the drip tray - which is HUGEEEE by the way! The tray that is...) and then it's dry consistent steam till I'm done.

I turn it on 100% and just let it do it's thing. No problem with whirlpool-ing or it konking out on me. You probably don't need it but there's a great milk texturing thread on here started by Koffee_Kosmo which is a nice reference point if others are struggling taming the 'beast'. I don't recall the name of it but it's probably become a sticky by now, with many, many folks extolling it's virtues and simplicity.

You're idea of up-ing it a touch might be a good thing if you're not happy with it, but as it's a 'newy' too, I'd prob go back and talk to the shop about tweaking it for you. At least they have the know-how etc, and besides, anything breaks, they've got it covered!

For me, the Minore has really only been steaming 500-600ish ml (actual) at most so far. I'm looking forward to giving it a real hard go the first time some family & friends come over.

It's a nice change to the old trusty Gaggia, who would chug along doing the 300ml in fore.v.e.r.....

i think i figured out my problem, like you said you really need to open it up 100%, no more wet dry wet dry issue, nice dry steam even with pressure halfway down after i had it open for ages and half the kitchen is full of steam...... this tells me there is no point messing with pressurestat at all, glad i didn't have the time to mess with it other day and sounds like you are happy you didn't mess with it too
    this thing is so fast to steam milk i don't know what to do with myself, with breville dual boiler i had time for long conversation with someone while steaming the milk, now i can't say one word before i overheat the milk and all is done and dusted.
    I was considering getting extra steam tips to slow it down a little and help with consistency but after another day i'm not even sure i need that but might get so my wife can do milk without stress. also going to buy 1litre jug so when i have a party i can do 4 coffees a lot quicker
    got my grinder dialled in with extra shims as well and really happy about today coffee and milk, consistent shots and consistent thick silky milk and i figure it will only get better

for anyone reading in future, the 3 hole steam tip is just fine, all you need is to practice and practice and practice some more, month later i have zero problems doing nice paint like microfoam milk, biggest issue was that i was trying to use same method that worked on my breville double boiler, there is so much more power in steam on expobar you have to forget 95% of things and start over.
    very very happy now, took me about 100-150 coffees to get here
    and boy does it steam fast, compared to breville this thing is steam monster