• 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 2 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 3 Post By mulquemi

Thread: Bezzera HX ,single group& volumetric project!

Bezzera HX ,single group& volumetric project!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello again,
    Acquired this Bezzera during this weekend and I've been searching the net ,found some leads however,of little use,hoping you people have dealt with these machines and can assist.
    Seems this machine is (date of Manufacture) twenty six years old,unsure as to its history regarding it's use.
    The previous owners were the business/contractors that removed the machine from it's last known cafe,and they thought it was unused for about five years,until I rescued it!
    First thing I did was disconnect it's heating element and try a boiler fill,testing the external rotary pump.
    Everything (pump and big blue filter ) was disconnected when first sighted,sorted that out (safely).
    Reconnected the heating element(s) and run the machine as normal....all good ,all works as expected until I went to confirm group operation,nothing although the gauge indicated it was trying!
    I switched everything off and disconnected power (10 amp/2000w),and let it all cool down,so further inspection was necessary.
    Removed top access to group head,wire filter was choc-a-block with "gunge",cleared that then checked the small side access (group head) which seemed clear,some compressed air confirmed that.
    Removed solenoid coil,checked resistance,Ok, then removed solenoid valve fitting which was clear as well.
    Carefully reinstalled everything ,group head wise, connected it up again...bingo,everything worked perfectly as it was intended,great.
    This leads me to the question,anyone know how the volumetric controls are customised/adjusted?
    I've had a serious play with these controls and the volumes produced,according to cup size ,the actually produced flow is all "over the shop".
    At least the buttons are working,further the pointer is turned ,produced more flow.Flow seems to be a timed flow rather then an actual measured volume.
    Well here I am with a great little HX ,single group espresso machine,once the controls are sorted out I'll get stuck into the cosmetic clean up!
    I need some kind person's helpful advice here,thank you.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

G'day Mick...

This would be better placed under the Pointy End/Extreme Machine category mate, bound to get more targeted responses. The machine categories are based on new equipment prices, not what you might have paid for it....

Mal.

Buzzer a heat exchanger single group

Mal,
    Yes,good point,how does one alter the category and into which value?
    Please Mr Moderator ,wave your magic wand and make it happen!
    cheers,
    mick.
    Well ,look at that......wonderful work Mr Moderator,thank you!
    cheers for that,
    Mick.
    Dimal likes this.

Bezzera....Staff room coffee machine!

Hello again,
    Well,I've set the Bezzera up at my work staff room,just runs perfectly...enough steam to run a small dry cleaner business!
    I've just connected it to draw water from a 20 litre vessel,with a small waste container,keeping an eye on the water/waste levels is worth the decision ,
    to not plumb in to town water.Admittedly water at my end of the Murray isn't that bad however,the stuff the local council includes with town water is simply not worth it.
    Good thing about it...no descaling from now on.
    The external pump easily handles drawing in the water,everything is humming along just how I was hoping for!
    Anyone who has the irresistible urge to purchase this beauty is most welcome to speak with me,just not for the moment until I give it a real trial here.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    IMG_20150708_134911.jpg
    Dimal and JWILL like this.

Great stuff Mick...

Mal.

Bezzera to work (school staff room).

Hello again,
    Report time,Bezzera has been in action for two days now,easing into full time(next week)use as students and teacher are on holidays.
    The rain water container works well,ideally a larger storage would go better with a reduction in effort by the pump drawing the water through however,is working great.
    The power of the pump is typical of a commercial machine,regardless of grind setting or tamp , seem so effortlessly producing great quality extractions.
    I have just the original baskets (single and double) for two group handles,must be the originals judging by their well used appearance.
    The auto's shown next to the Bezzera are available for recess and lunchtime when staff are seeking a quick caffeine hit,the Bezzera provides enough steam from (5 litre) boiler to satisfy any frothing demand,70 degrees in about twenty five seconds compared to the automatic dual boiler steamers taking about four minutes with a small jug.....great improvement.
    The operation of this machine is fairly straight forward,I've altered the cup tray to allow mugs to fit,original tray is stored underneath for the time being.
    The selection options (cup flow measurement) easy to use,simply rotate knob to cup size and press knob,done..fills to desired level and switches off without fuss,most definitely timed flow rather then via flow meter,sometime less to play up and given the age of this machine,should last another twenty six years,especially now as I'm only using "pristine" rain water,no filters necessary (no ioniser fitting).
    Just me and a number of other trades people through these last two weeks so coffee production is fairly insignificant at the moment,things will really rev-up next week with term three and rush,rush and beginning a new semester!
    I'll provide another update,next week with how things are going,for anyone interested.
    (Schools are such wonderful places to work without teachers and students!!! I get so much work done and without the interruptions).
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Dimal likes this.

Hello again,
    I'm still interested in finding something about this machine,I've found this 2010 post about an almost identical Bezzera,perhaps someone could tell me about the discussion here,please?
    Cheers,
    Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't add anymore to that which I wrote in that thread Mick....

Maybe try to contact Bezzera in Brisbane (Chris) who have always been very helpful with any of my inquiries...

Mal.

Bezzera in staff room!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Can't add anymore to that which I wrote in that thread Mick....

Maybe try to contact Bezzera in Brisbane (Chris) who have always been very helpful with any of my inquiries...

Mal.
    Thank you Mal,
    Things are progressing well,first day of term three today and the hectic pace of throughput (espresso coffees) together with serious steaming of milk proved the setup as successful,all users thought our staff room proved better then the local cafe's (and even the local Mc's as well).

The volumetric system was both quick and accurate,although I noticed if switched quickly between cup sizes it would turn on unexpectedly despite not being pressed,probably because the contacts are close together inside the rotary switch.Not a difficulty though.

The water container is good and easy to maintain,despite it's capacity limitations.I haven't found any need to fit an accumulator tank onto the in-feed hose.
    Waste out-feed hose was also working without difficulties,all into a container that was emptied regularly,easy!
    Initially startup and switching on in the morning , suction hesitates for that first boiler top up ,then no hesitation throughout the remainder of the day.

In one word "great",what more can I say!

Now we just need staff using this machine to polish up their individual brewing/extraction techniques to a higher level for improved flavor.
    Cheers,
    Mick
    Last edited by mulquemi; 13th July 2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Term three ,not term four!!
    Dimal likes this.

That all sounds excellent Mick....

These are great machines, no doubt about it. Really simple but well engineered and constructed; all adds up to excellent results in the cup....

Mal.
    mulquemi likes this.

Wonderful Bezzera!

Hello everyone,here again,
    Another report , everything seems to be working as expected and that's despite the much increased use and general traffic through the staff room,now equipped with a real espresso coffee machine,people are even using the hot water outlet in lieu of the plastic kettle,that's a positive statement in itself!
    Users are comfortable enough now using this little machine and are not thinking twice or wandering whether other people are ,maybe, looking over their shoulders!
    I have fashioned a alternative drip tray to the original,the tray that came with the Bezzera was not fitting correctly how I believed it should have,perhaps it's not the correct one,I'll get a photo of it ,hoping someone may offer some idea about it.
    Otherwise ,things are just running smoothly now,water supply has been replaced with a bigger volume container so the older water tank can be more readily used to top up that auto coffee machines with clean "non town water".
    Life's great!
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Dimal likes this.

Hello everyone again,
    Below are the images of my Bezzera machine,as you notice there is a part missing,the drainer normally located underneath the top grill.
    I haven't had it since my original pickup ,two weeks ago and the previous owners know nothing of it,other then to say "sorry mate...probably gone out in the final site clear up".

Other photo with the drainer plate is what I fashioned as temporary option (with yellow tape) works fine ,directing any and all liquid/steam flows into the waste drain.
    This "missing" part is what I'm chasing at the moment,anyone with experience working with these models is most welcome to respond with some clues,would be most appreciated.

Otherwise ,this machine is one amazing and powerful machine,puts all the others here presently or in the past to shame!
    Steam is so good,has a small drip from the ball joint,fixed with a nip in tensioning.

I've noticed the shower screen has a particularly deep reach,requiring a lowering of coffee level and tamping adjustment,no big issue though.
    Water supply and waste to a small container is just perfect and continues uneventfully and smoothly.

Occasionally tending the water level (don't want to run out of water) is straightforward and easy,things are great and particularly with a good coffee,what could possibly happen?
    Cheeers,
    Mick.
    IMG_20150720_073917.jpgIMG_20150720_073938.jpgIMG_20150720_074629.jpg

G'day Mick...

You could probably get one "knocked up" at a sheet-metal fab shop for not much money - Out of thin gauge s/s...

Mal.

TOK
    Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    ...I'm still interested in finding something about this machine...
    Hi there, you are lucky to find a machine of this age that can be made to keep on keeping on with a minimum of work. Well done. Especially if it is making a good coffee (there are plenty of older machines that still run but the coffee they result in is aweful).

I'm a bit miffed as to what you would want to know. Probably imported by the then importer in Sydney, George someone or other (cant remember his last name at the moment), who started at that time calling himself "Bezzera Australia" and later had a falling out with Bezzera.... and here we are... Its a coffee machine that has obvously had light use and you are lucky to have found it in a condition that allows it to continue to be used. That would be about it !

I would only venture a couple of finer points:
    a) As you have been able to work out it's not volumetric. This is an "Auto Timer" model that predates volumetric systems, to give you an auto cup level. Not accurate like volumetric's and when the timer eventually gives out you wont be able to get another, so will become a "Semi Auto" in its function. That is, toggle on and toggle off.

b) If memory services correct built like a brick sheethouse. BUT...a very good coffee burner if left on indefinitely with few coffees made (ie may need lots of group purging before brewing) and

c) steam and hot water valves most probably unavailable in original form....they werent good (trust me) and were "upgraded" by the factory....but...V2 valves also not the best. Anyway you dont need to worry about that til it happens, which will be when the slop in the worm of the valve stem allows you to open it one more time for steaming, but wont screw back in meaning, valve / seam delivery permamently open until you fit a complete new valve assembly.

Not trying to be facetious, these are my real experiences.

I'd say given your experiences with it so far, it's probably had VERY LITTLE use in all that time and once again....well done, good find.

Hello again,
    Another addition to the staff room coffee equipment, single group Boeme.
    This new addition has been stored in a back shed for three years,boiler still with contents.
    Thorough clean up which involved removing all panels,pressure washing all the animal residue
    and old coffee grinds etc.
    Confirmation that all wire was both intact and electrically secure (connected properly).
    Group head assembly,full clear/clean internally,gasket replacement together with shower screen wash.
    Minimal internal debris found so another earth/insulation test and confirmation (good/Ok).
    Plugged it in and confirmed tank inflow correct as with waste disposal...all good.
    Heats up well and group flow is just a tad hesitant when drawing from bottled H2o compared to plumbed option.
    In this staff room situation the (power available) outlets are limited as to their current (10amp) so once one machine is up to operating temperature,I switch on the other.
    Little Saeco auto machine doesn't seem to matter (power drawing wise).
    This coffee machine configuration is able to handle six coffee simultaneously,good effort at recess/lunch.
    Non return is a super effective and cheap PVC unit from the Big retailer (beginning with B),bit of garden hose for the waste return into a old milk bottle,all works so well,better then expected and once again,no accumulator tank required on inflow line.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Boeme.jpgwaste option boeme.jpg
    Dimal likes this.

You're certainly keeping very busy there Mick...

Mal.

They are all in your staff room? Lucky staff.
    I want to know who keeps them all clean?

saeco_user,
    All staff using this staff room practice "Guided Democracy".... I ask the users to operate the machines as demonstrated by myself and I occasionally check all machines,otherwise things bubble along quite well,coffee beans,water levels ,waste etc are attended to by all users one time or another.So in summary ,things are good!
    Cheers,
    Mick.

now if only Canberra could be run that efficiently!

Hello again,
    Our staff room continues to excel in respect to great coffee from a formidable array of coffee machines,recess/lunch see six coffees being knocked out simultaneously,just the greatest staff room I've been involved with for two decades.
    It's quite amazing how good (great) coffee and conversation go hand in hand.
    I'm hopeful your staff /coffee consuming area's are becoming as enjoyable as ours has become!
    This exercise goes to show that reasonable priced coffee equipment can be sourced on a budget,not necessarily needing to spend a lot of $$$.
    Cheers,
    Mick
    Dimal, GreenBeanGenii and JWILL like this.