Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stephen28

Thread: Breville Oracle OR Breville BES920 plus Compak K3 Platinum grinder? Advice please....

Breville Oracle OR Breville BES920 plus Compak K3 Platinum grinder? Advice please....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, this is my first time posting, however I have been reading a lot in recent weeks especially about the Breville Oracle and BES920 machines. I have been using a Rancilio with a Compak K3 Platinum grinder for the past 5 years. My hubby and I are done with the Rancilio (especially given the base has virtually rusted out) so have decided to upgrade. I purchased (but am yet to receive) a BES920 on gumtree, it's brand new still in box (was an unwanted prize), it set me back $800-, so was planning to use it with my Compak grinder. Now I have the opportunity to buy a 3mth old Oracle with a 5yr warranty for $1,250- which seems like an opportunity too good to pass up as I'm sure I'll be able to sell the BES920 for that same price I paid for it and should get $150- for my grinder (approx), so Oracle will cost me an extra $300-. I expect both machines will be much better than the Rancilio which has been delivering decent coffee for the past 5yrs, but I'm no expert (especially as I don't drink coffee out, I have Rice milk and no cafe's use RM). I like the ease offered by the Oracle, but have also read some issues people are having, especially in relation to grind. I live in south west WA and am fortunate enough to have a couple of great local roasting companies in town so have easy access to fresh beans. My hubby is better at making coffees than I am and to be honest I'm not all that interested in learning more, with a 1 and a 6 year old I just want a yummy coffee at 6am and am sick of how long it takes to make 2 coffees on the Rancillio (which is made even harder with a 14mth old constantly pulling my pants down!). Can anyone help with my decision? Thanks.

Some might say that changing from a Rancilio to a Breville might just result in the very thing you mention in the latter part of your post - "with a 14 month old pulling my pants down".......
    All jokes aside you are likely to achieve a much longer life from an Italian heat exchange machine than a Breville or Sunbeam if your budget can stretch to the 2k region. Good luck with your choice.
    readeral likes this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Given the constraints specified, and the fact that you've had plenty of experience using a machine that requires a decent technique, I'd stick with the the BES920. Fewer things to go wrong, easier for you to tweak if you get a strange bunch of beans.

Fewer things to go wrong, easier for you to tweak if you get a strange bunch of beans.

That is my main concern, not being able to change the dose output of the grinder. I have read of some people using an external grinder but that seems to defeat the purpose of having a built in. Does having a dual boiler speed up the coffee making process? making 2 coffees on the Rancilio with 2 different types of milk just seems to take too long in the morning.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seej View Post
    Does having a dual boiler speed up the coffee making process? making 2 coffees on the Rancilio with 2 different types of milk just seems to take too long in the morning.
    Yep, forget about repeatedly priming the boiler / temp surfing etc. You should be able to steam milk while extracting a shot (if you choose....or straight after).

I've gone from the Sylvia to a 920. Unbelievable improvement: temperature stability, steam while brewing, timed or volumetric shots. Also, I've found the ability to adjust pre-infusion, temperature and shot duration useful.

You'll wonder how you managed with the Sylvia.

Can't see any benefit with the 980 other than automated steam frothing. This has its own issues with blockages

You are right dlight. I unpacked the 920 and have been having fun experimenting, it is so much faster and better than the Rancilio, the problem is that it is now so easy to drink more coffee..... The steam frothing capacity to sooo much better.

[QUOTE=stephen28
    All jokes aside you are likely to achieve a much longer life from an Italian heat exchange machine than a Breville or Sunbeam [/QUOTE]

We do not know how long the Breville Dual Boilers will last. Mine is nearly 4 years old and still going strong. While they are built in China some of the important parts like pumps and valves are Italian made.

Unlike the Ranchilio there is nothing to rust on the Breville.

Any mechanical and electric machinery can break down. As I believe there are many more Brevilles sold than any other dual boiler and heat exchanger machines there will be more reported problems.

seej, get some braces to hold up your pants.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 23rd July 2015 at 09:25 AM.

I like the special steam wand on the Oracle.