• 2 Post By Mouldy
  • 2 Post By snedden9485
  • 2 Post By sjsbacon
  • 2 Post By TC

Thread: Buying advice - ECM v Rocket

Buying advice - ECM v Rocket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Iv been trolling the forum for the past few months and looking to upgrade by Silvia to a HX or possibly a DB. I have been fairly set on going for an ECM Mechanika profi with vibe pump, which will come to just shy of $3000. I have been toying with the idea of going for the Rocket R58 also, as I can get one of these for not a great deal more money. Is there any real benefits to stepping up to the R58 other than the PID? I don't really forsee myself wanting to vary brewing temps, so this feature doesn't offer a great deal to me. I don't intend to plumb the machine in either as I have nice caesar stone bench tops which the wife would kill me for if I drilled through them . Im told by sources that the build quality of the ECM is higher, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

In addition, another machine that is on the list is the ECM barista. This machine comes in slightly cheaper than the mechanika, does anyone have review or personal experience on it?

Welcome Snedden
    I don't have any advice - just didn't want you to feel unloved. Except that I envy your predicament.

TC
    Hello Snedden,

Sounds like you could look at the Rocket Evoluzione as well. It's Rotary pump and better competitor to the ECM units mentioned. It's rotary pump and HX.

Quote Originally Posted by snedden9485 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have been fairly set on going for an ECM Mechanika profi with vibe pump, which will come to just shy of $3000.

Cheers
    You can get into the ECM T IV Profi with rotary pump for just under $3k so the vibe pump tank version Mechanika should be less than that. Personally I would absolutely go with rotary pump version.

I'm going to go for a chrome mechanika with vibe pump for around that $2500 mark. I think it's a good balance between $$$ and performance for me. I'll post some pics up when it's set up. Thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
    You can get into the ECM T IV Profi with rotary pump for just under $3k so the vibe pump tank version Mechanika should be less than that. Personally I would absolutely go with rotary pump version.
    Why the "absolutely" for the rotary?

I would also back the rotary option any day. I've tested several vibe models and while some are quieter than others, some do squeal horribly (like my old Bezzera D Galatea). The switch to a rotary pump machine made me realise I couldn't ever go back to a vibe pump model again. In my own personal opinion it's worth the extra money, and should circumstances or mood change, the plumbing option is great.
    pjgwilliams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Why the "absolutely" for the rotary?
    Personal preference, and for many of the same reasons stated by gonzo89. I've owned machines with vibe pumps and machines with rotary pumps. I can say that I would never choose to go back to vibe. Noise, reliability, build quality, longevity, etc etc.
    gonzo89 and pjgwilliams like this.

I went with the ECM Mechanika IV rotary pump and never looked back, ~$2800 delivered (vibe pump would of saved ~$250), relatively quick warm up time, good steam power and quiet operation, though I'd assume the Rocket Evoluzione would be similar (equivalent rotary pump style)
    Wasn't as bigger fan of the ECM Barista model cosmetically.

I got my mechanika iv profi with vibe pump for $2600 and I love it. A great upgrade from the rancilio silvia. I really notice the quality difference and the steam wand is much better. More power and nicer to get microfoam.

I Find the vibe pump too noisy to be honest, obviously louder than a rotary, but still fine IMO. My grinder makes more noise. I love the look of this thing on the bench. It's a work of art!

Its safe to say im absolutely loving the ECM. Getting great pours and foams the milk so nicely. It has great steam pressure and the HX makes the process so much quicker. Awesome.
    Dimal and gonzo89 like this.

Its safe to say im absolutely loving the ECM. Getting great pours and foams the milk so nicely.
    Great to hear enjoy your machine

I've just upgraded from a ECM GIOTTO Premium (pre Rocket vintage) to aECM Mechanika (with Vibration pump) - I love it - steaming noticeably better and machine much quieter - reckon the combo of original Italian design with German reliability reputation is a winner.
    gonzo89 and snedden9485 like this.

TC
    Well done sjs and congrats on the new kit,

It's not much of a surprise that your new machine is quieter. It's a new machine!

Your comments may make people inclined to think that Rocket/ECM are not reliable and I would like to reassure potential purchasers that they're (Rocket) are not the most popular machine in Australia for pictures alone.

ECM Germany took what they wanted from ECM Italy and now build their own machines. Both brands are well built.
    Dimal and gonzo89 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Well done sjs and congrats on the new kit,

It's not much of a surprise that your new machine is quieter. It's a new machine!

Your comments may make people inclined to think that Rocket/ECM are not reliable and I would like to reassure potential purchasers that they're (Rocket) are not the most popular machine in Australia for pictures alone.

ECM Germany took what they wanted from ECM Italy and now build their own machines. Both brands are well built.
    I was definately attracted to the rocket machines for looks, they are a thing of beauty thats for sure. I think either the Rocket Giotto or ECM Mech / Tech are great machines and going either way will have satisfied customers.

Sorry didn't mean to diss Rocket (ECM) in any way, Italy is the home of Espresso no question and where would ECM Germany be today without the ECM history in its Italian guise?

The change in noise level between the machine is down to more in built insulation which is typical of German engineering and nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the machinery put together to make the coffee.

Have worked closely with German and Italian manufacturers (not in the coffee machine line) and was even lucky enough to visit the ECM factory in Milan (pre Rocket) by pure chance and understand the innovation and flair that has gone into the Giotto.

Will stand by build quality comment - it's comes from years of practical experience. At the end of the day it's personal preference anyway.

I definately think my vibe pump isn't loud by any means. Yes it's louder than a rotary, but compared to my silvia it's much quiter. I couldn't be happier with my ECM, its a truly beautiful machine and the quality of build is amazing. The quality of shots is definately better than my silvia, I can get a much richer and "syrup style" pour. I love how it gets such a nice slow pour and its so rich. Couldn't be happier!

I definately think my vibe pump isn't loud by any means. Yes it's louder than a rotary, but compared to my silvia it's much quiter. I couldn't be happier with my ECM, its a truly beautiful machine and the quality of build is amazing. The quality of shots is definately better than my silvia, I can get a much richer and "syrup style" pour. I love how it gets such a nice slow pour and its so rich. Couldn't be happier!
    The vibe pump in the ECM is nicely mounted in a rubber bracket so makes a difference in overall noise reduction - I think I read a post here recently from Charlie at Jetblack Espresso who vouches for the vibe (on the ECM) over the rotary pump.

Mr Snedden, I considered all of the machines mentioned and ended up going for the Profitec 500 HX. It's the same machine as the Rocket and the ECM. Profitec actually make ECM's from my understanding, a bit like Asus made Apple monitors until they went out on their own. I went for the Profitec because the cup tray and water tank was so much easier to use and access than the ECM and Rocket.

As for the dual boiler -v- HX debate; I can't see the point in going for dual boiler unless you're in a commercial environment. HX machines are so well made and reliable but despite all that, I don't think you'd go wrong whatever machine you went for. I think also that opting for a rotary pump is an indulgence but if you want that then "fill yer boots". I had a Rancilio Rocky for years and wondered about upgrading but I'm glad I did. The thing you're looking for, once you've produced the various coffees you make to the satisfaction you're after, is consistency.

Local cafes don't get close to what I produce with the Profitec. Have a look at it. I've paired it with the new ECM Automatik 64 stepless grinder. Again, I looked at the Mazzer Mini but went for the ECM primarily because of it's smaller footprint.

have been extremely happy w my vbm domobar jr... have a look at it, its a beautiful machine w a small footprint