Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By chokkidog

Thread: Lelit Mara Advice

Lelit Mara Advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I've finally had a chance to play around with my new Lelit Mara for a few days and have a few questions for other users. I've paired it with the PL044MMT grinder which I was told comes pre-set at a way too fine grind.

First use I was finding that the pour was very slow and only a few drops at a time. I was looking at about 40 second pours and it was way too bitter. I dialed back the grind considerably and found that I was now getting gushing pours.

Then I started to weigh the doses and I was getting about 15-18g for a double shot. Now compared to my initial pours (40 seconds with drops) I'd say that it was at least 30% less. So those initial pours I must have been overfilling the basket.

My beans are somewhat freshly roasted (dont have the roast date but I'm getting them from a Cafe who sources them from a roaster in Bulleen Vic).

So with all these variables, what do people think I should be aiming for in terms of grams of ground coffee for a double shot? Should I be aiming for 18-20g with a 17-30second pour?

I understand i need a 'rats tail' look of pour and I need to keep an eye on the pour colour (red, then golden then shut it down). So with all these variables what type of setup with this machine (its actually a PL62S) do other users have?
    ie
    If people can report
    1) The grams of coffee per shot (single or double)
    2) The pour time for how many mls before you cut the shot
    3) If possible what pressure reading during the pour?

I'm still tweaking the variables but I've gone through a lot of fresh beans and feel like I'm still no closer to a good pour. I'm tempted to overfill the basket but I feel like if i start overfilling it then I'm not addressing the real problem (too course grind, too fine, not enough grind in the basket, etc).

I will assume you are using the stock double basket? In which case try sticking with a fixed dose of 16g each time = weight of ground coffee 16g in basket.

Adjust your grind so that you get 32g of espresso liquid in 28 to 32 sec (IMO the sweet spot in regards to timing for this machine)
    From this STARTING POINT you may find you like to extract less depending on the roast. For example a darker " espresso roast " may taste slightly sweeter and full bodied around 28g of liquid espresso from the 16g ground coffee.

If say you extracted your 28g in 28sec and liked it, but wanted it to be just a bit more less acidic or aggressive. Grinding slightly finer again, using the same dose and extracting the same weight of espresso but this time it takes say 32secs, can give a sweeter / richer shot.

Thanks, I've now moved to the single basket, so should I be halving those numbers ie 8grams of coffee for 14 grams extraction in 14 seconds?

Never bothered playing with the single that much....but yes 8g a good starting point.

You would want 12 to 16g of espresso in 25 to 30sec from your 8g.
    Generally you would use the same time as the double as a guide 28 to 32sec but from memory the shorter time produced a sweeter shot, longer times with such a small dose / fine grind got bitter real quick.

Experiment, once dialled in stop some shots at different weights and taste, don't get to hung up on numbers, they are a just a way of communicating a basic outline / recipe / starting point.

[QUOTE=nickm;560306]Thanks, I've now moved to the single basket, so should I be halving those numbers ie 8grams of coffee for 14 grams extraction in 14 seconds?[/QUaboutOTE]

Doesn't work that way Nick. I use about 12 gms in a single for a 30 sec pour and produces 20gms (or 30mls) of espresso. This would be classified more as a ristretto than espresso. I also use 19gms for a double to deliver about 60mls in 30 seconds or for a double ristretto 30mls in 30 seconds. All drinks should pour in 30 seconds. Its the grind that dictates how much liquid.

Try dosing about 11 or 12 gms in a single and dial in your grinder so that you deliver roughly 30mls in 30 seconds then adjust to taste as Steve said above. Also this site often discourages people from using singles. Admittedly they are harder and less forgiving than a double but I persevered and I can now make good singles. Most novices should probably start with doubles (60mls in 30 sec) but don't give up on singles.

Going back to the double basket. Im using about 20g of coffee. Shouldn't I be looking for 60ml in 30seconds if Im pouring into 2 cups?

If that is the case does that mean for the same setup (20g in double basket) if I only have a single cup to pour into I should be looking for 30mls in 15 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by nickm View Post
    Going back to the double basket. Im using about 20g of coffee. Shouldn't I be looking for 60ml in 30seconds if Im pouring into 2 cups?

If that is the case does that mean for the same setup (20g in double basket) if I only have a single cup to pour into I should be looking for 30mls in 15 seconds?
    Yes to both.

20g dosed into your basket with an approximate 30sec extraction into two separate cups should give you a roughly 30ml 'single' in each cup. If this same extraction went into one cup you'd have a 60ml 'double' in there. Alternatively you could stop the extraction sooner for a sweeter, stronger flavoured 'double' that could be more of a ristretto.
    But as people above have pointed out there are no hard an fast rules. Just use these as starting points to work out what YOU like.
    DesigningByCoffee likes this.

Rules, rules, rules......what rules?

+1 to Leroy.... there are no rules.

For me it's mostly 20-25 gms for anywhere between 25-40 mls, depending on the coffee and what I want.

60 mls? ......Why water down a good coffee?

Push the boundaries, discover and drink what you like.
    DesigningByCoffee likes this.