Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Mouldy
  • 2 Post By TC

Thread: Dual Boiler Home Coffee Machine

Dual Boiler Home Coffee Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys, this is my first post on this site.

I am looking at acquiring a coffee machine for my parents.

I have previously worked in a take away shop and have used a La Cimbali Junior Double Boiler and an Expobar, so I am pretty confident using machines of that size and confident of teaching them how to use small dual boiler machines.
    Problem is my parents want everything for nothing. They want a Nespresso type pod machine, but whinge that the coffee doesnt taste great!

I have managed to finally convince them that we should invest in a decent coffee machine as we already have a Rancilio Rocky Grinder.

There are some decent options like the Rocky Silvia, but its a single boiler, and I dont like waiting.

Can anyone recommend a decent dual boiler machine between $1500 and $2000?

I can get it imported from Italy VAT free as my uncle can send it for me.

But I am unsure which ones to look at.

Why not consider an HX machine. They are single boilers but unlike the Silvia they use a thermo siphon group so there is no need to "refill" the boilers as in the Silvia. They are probably cheaper, temperature stable and use an E61 group similar to the commercial machines. We have one and could not be happier.

FWIW:
    Regard to importing an espresso - well there are heaps of problems it may be cheaper (just) but it will be set up for European standards and robusta beans so will run hot, no warranty, no support. So the parents may well be stuck with it.
    Usually someone has to pay tax if over $1000 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya View Post
    Why not consider an HX machine. They are single boilers but unlike the Silvia they use a thermo siphon group so there is no need to "refill" the boilers as in the Silvia. They are probably cheaper, temperature stable and use an E61 group similar to the commercial machines. We have one and could not be happier.

FWIW:
    Regard to importing an espresso - well there are heaps of problems it may be cheaper (just) but it will be set up for European standards and robusta beans so will run hot, no warranty, no support. So the parents may well be stuck with it.
    Yeh we would pay GST, but we are aware of that and most come with international warranty. As for the machine you suggested, wouldnt we have to wait some time before frothing milk if its not a double boiler? Alot of the machines we've seen that aren't double ( like the silvia ) mean you do have to wait some time before frothing milk, which my parents/and I would find annoying.

FWIW:
    Also there is no difference in voltage from europe to oz. we already have a la pavoni and all we had to do was add a plug convertor. It works on the same tolerance as OZ voltage.
    so really its more about which one is a decent machine for $1500-$2000

TC
    Welcome euroboy,

On the assumption that your post is actually legit rather than yet another bait post, I'd suggest that it would be a good idea to do some research before you embark on any purchase.

On reading your three posts so far, it's pretty clear that you are very poorly informed and you don't actually know what you want/need. It might save you the purchase of the wrong machine from the wrong country.

It would appear that to this point, you are yet to actually use a dual boiler machine.

If you think that "most come with an international warranty", you are dreaming. Your international warranty will be based in the country of purchase and I can assure you that we have issued many an invoice to naive people who gullibly believed, paid and then asked us to pick up the pieces.

Good luck. I suspect you're going to need it.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by euroboy1977 View Post
    .........and confident of teaching them how to use small dual boiler machines.
    Problem is my parents want everything for nothing. They want a Nespresso type pod machine, but whinge that the coffee doesnt taste great!
    This is a bit more than $2000, but consider the Breville Oracle

Automatic tamping and milk frothing but also a more conventional group head and the option of manual milk frothing also. Take a bit of learning but would be worth it.

Just to answer the question: No the steam is instantaneous as the boiler is at full pressure. The extraction is via a thermo siphon ( a pipe runs through the boiler) Do some research.

Just to answer the question: No the steam is instantaneous as the boiler is at full pressure. The extraction is via a thermo siphon ( a pipe runs through the boiler) Do some research.
    That would be the Heat Exchanger...

Mal.
    aussieflicker, TC and Vinitasse like this.

Importing may sound like a smart idea, but it's a roll of the dice !
    Shipping damage is common, pressures & temperatures will most likely need resetting, warranty will be near worthless (return to vendor ?) and there is a real risk of being scammed ( there are many fake international retailers on line )
    at the end of the day, with current exchange rates, you won't save much if anything.
    You would be much better served by buying a Breville Dual boiler locally for approx $1000 with a full warranty and support.

Quote Originally Posted by euroboy1977 View Post
    wouldnt we have to wait some time before frothing milk if its not a double boiler?.
    Hi there. From your first post and this one it seems you're mistaking the functionality of different machine types. From your description you would be looking for either a single boiler with heat exchanger design OR a doubleboiler machine. As an example, I believe the Cimbali Junior machine you referenced in your first post is actually single boiler with heat exchanger design. There is much useful information on the home-barista website if you want to understand more.

You've probably already noted that you will likely get a lot of negative responses on this forum for mentioning self importing of a machine, simply because this is a commercial forum with many contributors that sell retail machines that you're looking to import. Whilst I can understand their dismay that some people choose to take the risks associated with self importing rather than buying from them, I understand it is also a choice some people want to make.

You will need to do appropriate research before deciding if that's the way you want to go. Understand that many warranties are likely country specific, so you may need to send the machine back if you have a major problem and want to try and have it rectified under warranty; however there may be a risk that you won't be covered at all. My advice would be to assume the warranty is of no use and decide if you're happy to proceed on the basis that you will cover any required repairs locally using funds you may have saved from the purchase price difference.

For what it is worth, if you have relatives in Italy, then I would suggest considering a used machine, as there are plenty of available machines (including single group commercial machines) for a reasonable price often much lower than the current GST threshold. However this option may not be for you, but thought to mention it in case.

Given current forex rates you may not see a price difference sufficient to justify?
    Last edited by Mouldy; 24th August 2015 at 01:39 PM.
    BeanBrat likes this.

Hi Chris,
    pardon my ignorance what what exactly is a "bait post"?

TC
    G'day Enthusiast,

Bait post: Noob "expert" attempts to rebirth topic which has previously been vigorously discussed- such as self import/cooling flush/preinfusion on e-61 etc...

The new member generally has all of the answers prior to posting. Once the shitefite is well established, the OP then disappears into the ether. This is optimally achieved with a single post, but sometimes 2 or even 3 eggspurt posts may be required.

We've had a run of them in the last few weeks.
    Dimal and nathanharley like this.