Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cheers272
  • 2 Post By flynnaus

Thread: Decisions on new machine and grinder, a newbies experience.

Decisions on new machine and grinder, a newbies experience.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well, i have been in the market a few weeks and wasted far to much time trying to learn the art and the extensive range of machines. i thought I new a little about coffee making and did well............now I'm finding myself loitering in a rich wonderful world of information thats going to take me years to catch up!
    First, I wanted a quality, value and reliable set up. I wanted a machine to impress my clients and to delight myself.
    A friend referred me to a Expobar Office Leva.
    I currently use a sunbeam cafe series. Awesome value for money, reliable and a delight after owning several auto machines from Europe, the later also costing to much in repairs. I updated the grinder from a sunbeam cafe series to a Breville at the $250 mark. So it is conical etc. both still perform well and do about 20 kg a year through it.
    So i took to the net! What a beautiful machine the Bezzera Domus Galatea is! the Expobar office leva and the Expobar Minore, the Rocket Giotto Plus V3 and the R58 V2.

As I make 20 to 30 double shots a week, I felt the R58 was over kill for my usage.

I settle on a few extra $ over the Leva to end with the double boiler Expobar Minore IV. I felt there was more accuracy and stable water temps for just a few $100 more. ill forget the difference in price quickly.

Now I see that its not just smashing beans but a fine art to grind them. I had no idea to adjust the grinder according to the beans? Beans are those brown things i tip in, and the sugar is kept in the jar. Right?
    So this site covers Macap machines alot with quality and value. Thats what tickles me!
    I wanted the flash one with a measuring hopper out the front but was convinced that this is old school. Heavens above, i ride a Harley from 1928 on weekends and drive my 1938 Holden/Chev Sloper when i can and anything in a motor vehicle that could be to modern world or have digital is immediately cast aside. For my collections are appreciating assets.

So old school sounds great to me, but then I was told that these are more high volume machines and my grind will go stale. Ok, so currently I grind my coffee at work to take home for the weekend. I hear that has to stop now.
    So I was convinced that the Macap M4D was the go. I didn't spend time looking as this site doesn't have bad thoughts on them.

As you can see above, I have enjoyed my hours of research and had some education along the way. This machine will take me into retirement I am sure. Just 20 odd years to go. I will have lots to learn to service and maintain as I have not ever cleaned my current Breville grinder.
    I do however always use clean and well filtered water through the dedicated upright drink dispensers. i have cleaned both my Sunbeam cafe series once in about 9 years and nothing came out, no green tinge, no calcification visible. So I continue to use great filtered water with no issues.

Have I missed something in my purchasing decisions, or would my selection be a top office/home combo. ( i did love the site of the Bezzera Domus Galatea)
    My first post and i'm excited for my coffee future!
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Welcome.
    The best suggestion is to go along to a specialty shop that sells a good range of coffee equipment and discuss your needs with them. See the list of sponsors near the bottom of the page for example
    Consider:
    - budget. From what you have described, you will need at least $4K
    - types and numbers of coffees made at a time
    - ease of use - if it's in an office, you will need to train other users in the proper use and maintenance.
    - plumbed-in or tank.

Be aware that a jump in coffee quality might (and does) result in a jump in consumption.

As for grinding for later use, you can get reasonable to good brews from pre-ground coffee but you will get the best coffee from freshly ground
    Dimal and cheers272 like this.

Thankyou Flynnaus

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    Welcome.
    The best suggestion is to go along to a specialty shop that sells a good range of coffee equipment and discuss your needs with them. See the list of sponsors near the bottom of the page for example
    Consider:
    - budget. From what you have described, you will need at least $4K
    - types and numbers of coffees made at a time
    - ease of use - if it's in an office, you will need to train other users in the proper use and maintenance.
    - plumbed-in or tank.

Be aware that a jump in coffee quality might (and does) result in a jump in consumption.

As for grinding for later use, you can get reasonable to good brews from pre-ground coffee but you will get the best coffee from freshly ground
    Western Riverina unfortunately doesnt have speciality retail shops that I am aware of so with great internet research at the cost of my productive time (grrr) I purchased those items i mentioned.
    I enjoy my coffee and cant buy it in the shops for a dislike $4 for a small cup and drink enough through the week. I was fortunate to get a deal @ 75% of the estimation and that helped make a decision knowing both items were great quality.
    I expect i will go from 20kg per year to 30kg of coffee at the office and home (home will still have retain a sunbeam cafe series until i get the hang of the new one)
    I find it rare that the staff pick up the technique of the existing one and so may not learn to use the Expobar. Unfortunately I am finding most staff I have now prefer tea and little to know coffee???
    I never really thought to go plumbed in as it is a further cost to establish and i utilise my free standing "awesome water" filter system.

I think I just wanted to buy and get it over with than wait till my next trip top the big smoke. I will need to check the sponsors out, and was unaware really about this as I have just recently joined. i may have even bought of a sponsor?

I am quite looking forward to my next stage in life with better coffee and learning the art I once thought was unnecessary.

thankyou for your comment. the only negative detail i hear about my choice of expobar is the presentation of its exterior. I will have to learn much more about regular service and back flushing. thankyou