• 1 Post By kyeba
  • 2 Post By flynnaus
  • 3 Post By Dimal

Thread: Rocket - new or used?

Rocket - new or used?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

first time poster here -

i am close to pulling the trigger on a new Rocket Giotto Premium plus v3. I've just seen a used v1 for a great deal.

any thoughts on what I'd notice from the v3 to v1?

Cheers

Whist I don't have experience with this machine, I do know the new Giotto has PID over the previous one. A significant difference in my opinion especially considering this unit is a single boiler with heat exchanger

Yes, but the higher level Rocket, the Evoluzione doesn't have PID. I wouldn't worry about getting a machine with PID or not. It's hard to really know what to suggest without knowing the price difference. I'd say if you can afford a new machine then go for it. Rocket made a few changes other than adding PID so you're getting a better machine. But the old V1s are still great machines and if it makes the purchase less of a financial stress for you and allows you to maybe buy a better grinder then it might be the way to go.
    gonzo89 likes this.

Weigh up whether you'll be having a lingering thought of upgrading the machine later on the track or if you'll settle down and commit to the one machine. If it's the latter, get it new so you have piece of mind and have that new machine smell.
    gonzo89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kyeba View Post
    Weigh up whether you'll be having a lingering thought of upgrading the machine later on the track

' or if you'll settle down and commit to the one machine.'

If it's the latter, get it new so you have piece of mind and have that new machine smell.

An Espresso Machine is the ' same' as a Marriage ?? You have to make a choice then commit to it for life!!
    Wow those Giotto's must be a very very special machine

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    An Espresso Machine is the ' same' as a Marriage ?? You have to make a choice then commit to it for life!!
    but seriously....who does that? There is always an upgrade!

But what if she ' found out'! ⚡⚡
    Whatsbthe espresso machine equivalent of sewing up all your coat pockets
    With prawn heads in them ?? ��

My Bezzera BZ99 started blowing out its group seal just after I replaced it with an Expobar Leva (I had to replace the group seal with an upgraded version for the guy I sold it to). I guess that was its way of throwing a hissy fit.

Quote Originally Posted by kyeba View Post
    Weigh up whether you'll be having a lingering thought of upgrading the machine later on the track
    or if you'll settle down and commit to the one machine.
    If it's the latter, get it new so you have piece of mind and have that new machine smell.
    OK Then .....if that's what it takes ..... To own one of these .... Fine Machines ??.... But before I plonk my money down
    Do I choose the 'Blonde' ? ��. Or the Brunette ? Version ?? ��
    I'm perplexed as to which . Can anyone help with advice? Girls ?? You always seem to be able to cut to the chase.
    Which ?? One ? Come on I'm keen for advice - it'll be time well spent ..... After all I ... I think ....I'm Worth It.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffman View Post
    any thoughts on what I'd notice from the v3 to v1?
    If you tasted a coffee prepared by an experienced barista, you would be hard pressed to tell whether it was made by a Giotto Premium Plus v1 or v3. The v3 has some enhancements such as a PID and twin gauges. My GPPv1 is very temperature stable and I rarely look at the gauge other than to see when it has come back up to pressure after the pump kicks in.

If the used GPP is in very good nick and has been well maintained, you won't go wrong. If there are doubts and you want peace of mind, go for a brand new one with a warranty.
    Last edited by flynnaus; 10th September 2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
    gonzo89 and Gavisconi007 like this.

If you can't decide, have both, but make sure they kind of get along :P

When you're talking good quality HX machines, the presence or absence or a PID Controller makes no difference to the results in the cup, where it counts. A good quality p/stat also makes for a very stable machine and besides, there's much more involved than this, to the overall end results...

Mal.
    TC, burr and Gavisconi007 like this.

depends on the savings. bang for buck plus warranty.

I would get the v3. The prices will go up. There are multiple things that will fail with age. I have both. The premium Giotto Rocket (half circle pressure gauge narrower copper piping) has required maintenance over the years. I think this was pre v1. The next model was a Plus. It died so I got the v3 and I could not be happier. I got the Premium working again (new controller) and now it is at work coffee club doing good, I could not be happier. But I know it will need work from time to time e.g last week a bit a scale got caught under the vacuum valve so it leaked! But knowing what to look for it is making great coffee at work again. (Acclaimed as the best local coffee and it is free!)
    Last edited by dumiya; 1st November 2015 at 10:30 AM.