Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By mulquemi

Thread: Advice on auto machine for office

Advice on auto machine for office

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've been tasked by my boss with getting a coffee machine for our office. I don't know anything about making coffee really, except that I like drinking it One of the other employees in the office is a bit of a coffee snob, but everyone else in the office simply likes better than instant coffee - we all generally buy our coffees from the crappy little takeaway place down the road.
    The decision was made that the machine should be fully automatic, as no one in the office (with the exception of the one coffee snob) knows how to use a proper espresso machine, nor do we have the time to figure it out. We simply want something we can put a cup under and push a button.

So far I've deduced that the main issues with the fully automatic machines are that the coffee isn't as good as from a proper manual machine (but surely the coffee would be good enough to suffice for the majority of us?) and they can be less reliable, requiring lots of maintenance etc.
    It's mainly for the second issue that I've been looking at renting/leasing a machine from a local company which will include regular servicing of the machine, and if needed will repair the machine with no additional charge. It will cost more in the long run than buying outright, but will most likely be worth it for the peace of mind and reliability.

Based on the above, the two machines that I've somewhat narrowed it down to are the Saeco Royal Cappuccino and the Saeco Aulika. I believe the main difference between the two is that the Aulika will froth the milk automatically, whereas the Royal has a wand for doing it manually. Are there any other major differences that I'm missing?

Does anyone have any advice on the two machines? Like every auto machine I've looked at, I've read both good and bad - although these machines seem to be better than a lot of the others that I looked at!

TC
    Welcome Mark,

It's impossible to make recommendations unless you provide details of your office/no. of users etc. The machines you have suggested are domestic units and I'd doubt that a reputable supplier would recommend them in an office situation. In general, Jura are recommended as more robust and I would suggest you contact your local Jura professional rather than look to us here- many of whom have limited or zero expreience with superautos.

PS- hope the boss doesn't choose a teetotaller to purchase the booze for the Christmas party!

Good luck.

Chris
    flynnaus likes this.

Hi mark. I have owned a super automatic and had them at work. If your user base is under 5-6 and a few cups each. Honestly just purchase a Delonghi or Jura. Make sure it has one that froths the milk for you!!!! This is an office and the majority of people just want to press a button. If above those numbers then look at the leasing automatic ones. Sure they aren't as good as a proper beverage but most people are satisfied with those.

Hi Mark, I sourced a Jura Z7 for our office, its been given the responsibility to pump out around 20 to 30 coffees a day, and apart form a couple minor issues (split water line, milk frother O rings) its been a very reliable if maintained accordingly. I can recommend it for sure, the same machine has been in use for almost 2 years, 24 hours a day.

Nate
    Last edited by nathanharley; 29th September 2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Incorrect syntax :)

Hello Mark,
    I accepted the role of "coffee machine overseer",I've always had a interest in coffee.
    I have (initially) used simple domestic machines (group handled Sunbeam),these proved fine as I believe they are close to bullet proof.
    Some automatic machines become available (local recycle shop),both fully operational at time of pickup,that extended to a twin boiler Aldi auto from a local Op shop ($20.00).
    Saeco Royal and a Saeco Giro Odea,both just worked and worked beautifully despite the coffee not being quite top standard it was very acceptable by all users.
    The Royal together with a recently acquired Bezzera (single,HX) and a Boeme single HX machine,coffee production by users in our staff room and all are very comfortable using either one.
    Staff using this staff room will donate biscuits/coffee beans/etc all towards a happy coffee enriched environment,just great!!
    I'm working on another update option,another Bezzera twin group,once ready it will provide a very formidable coffee suite.
    Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    GreenBeanGenii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Hello Mark,

Staff using this staff room will donate biscuits/coffee beans/etc all towards a happy coffee enriched environment,just great!!
    I'm working on another update option,another Bezzera twin group,once ready it will provide a very formidable coffee suite.
    Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Well Done, You! That effort makes the work scene so much better.

Good coffee for the worker reduces stress. I had a laugh.

Hi,
    We have been through a similar thing. I have a rocket R58 at home, so the thought of a super-automatic at work for me wasn't great. But the rest of the others could not be bothered with the ritual of making a decent cup.

The evolution has been
    Delonghi magnifica, which lasted over 5 years.
    Recently a Jura F8, which lacked the ability to dial the grinder down to get a decent cup. Jura was returned and refunded.

And now a Breville oracle, which is pleasing most. Unsure of reliability...time will tell.

The problem with the delonghi and the Jura is the milk temperature and frothing...it is terrible in my opinion. The milk is always to cool. Also the cleaning of the milk systems is annoying for me. The milk frother on the Delonghi broke and we used an electric steamer.

Also to please the masses at work we have a mokkapot, French press, and pod...you can never please everyone.��

Quote Originally Posted by BaryBC View Post
    And now a Breville oracle...
    Also to please the masses at work we have a mokkapot, French press, and pod...you can never please everyone.��
    I'm lucky just to get paid each week let alone have a workplace with a budget to please 'snobs as well as the masses.

We are in the same boat. It was all paid for by the individuals chipping in, as is the ongoing cost of the milk/beans/pods. Lots of night shift makes it important for most.