Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By Jester

Thread: Upping the pressure on Lelit Mara

Upping the pressure on Lelit Mara

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has had a go at increasing the bar pressure on their Lelit Mara? I noticed that with the Australian model (which does not have PID), the panel on top is bolted down with quite a few screws, almost as if getting in there is a no no. I have seen however on a YouTube clip from the USA that their model "seems" to be easier. In any case, I know that if I remove this panel, there is a bolt that can be turned clockwise to increase the pressure. Even if I manage to do this, does anyone know roughly how much of a turn I would need to increase by say...half a Bar??? I am finding that when I remove the portafilter after pulling a shot the puck is actually still quite wet and despite a firm tamp I'm not sure this should be the case.??? (Is it possible they got the default setting a bit wrong? You would'nt think so)

Thanks

John
    Last edited by Jester; 30th September 2015 at 09:17 PM.

First thing I would do John, is to contact the vendor from whom you purchased the machine.

Other factors can contribute to the scenario you describe, other than the brew pressure...

Mal.

Site Sponsor
    +1 for Mal's advice John!

charlie

I wouldn't read too much into a wet puck. If you really want to see a dry puck just leave your portafilter in place for longer after making a coffee. But otherwise don't stress it. I know for certain that my pressure is good as I've tested it with a PF pressure gauge and yet I'm getting slightly wet pucks at the moment. However last week when I was using different beans the pucks were nice and dry. As long as you're happy with how the coffee tastes then I'd leave it as is, at least until it's next service.
    WantRancilio10 likes this.

Just some comments on the wet puck. Have you tried eliminating some of the other variables. Just recently I tried a new set of Beans from a place in the Docklands (Melbourne) and I was getting consistent wet pucks with my Lelit. I moved over to my standard beans from another cafe and the machine is doing a great job.

I found with the old beans (wet puck) I was having to pack 22g into my double basket and I was struggling with the stream and puck. With the same grind setting on the other set of beans I'm getting a perfect extraction with 17g.

Upping the pressure on Lelit Mara

Exactly. It can be as simple as the type of beans being used. But just because one lot of beans gives wet pucks doesn't make it worse than the other. Don't get distracted by these sort of semantics and forget about the most important thing - FLAVOUR.

Agreed, but as an aside the wet pucks coffee tasted like trash in my Mara no matter what I variables changed

Thankyou so much for the replies guys. I think I am stressing for nothing and it looks as though it's more to do with aspects of the coffee than the machine itself.

Thanks again guys

John
    Dimal and metho like this.