Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveD
  • 1 Post By tomo6969

Thread: Upgrading to a HX

ST

Upgrading to a HX

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After 5 and a half years with my EM6910, the steam pump appears to be failing me again. While the first time for caught under the pump warranty, this time I'm outside of it, so I'm using it as a bit of an excuse to upgrade vs getting another repair.

I'm anticipating to spend somewhere around the $2-2.5k mark for a HX machine but don't really have a feel for what could be suitable up at this price bracket. I'm also outside based out of Adelaide and haven't had a chance to visit any stores in the city yet.

I also currently have a Rocky grinder which I've had since getting the Sunbeam and hoping that will be adequate (at least in the short term), but am open to an upgrade there if need be. I know this is a little open ended but hoping to get some suggestions or ideas on what to consider. Thanks!

Hi ST,

Take a look at a Vibiemme domobar jr - it definitely falls into your price bracket.

October special: Vibiemme Domobar Junior & Compak K3 Push/Macap M2M | Talk Coffee

Talk Coffee in Melbourne is doing the deal above with a choice of fantastic grinder, but your Rocky should cut it for a while longer. I've got a Compak K3 push currently, but would love to upgrade to the Macap M4D grinder. So maybe you would be better off stepping up to something like that later.

Cheers, Dave
    Dimal and TC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ST View Post

I also currently have a Rocky grinder which I've had since getting the Sunbeam and hoping that will be adequate (at least in the short term), but am open to an upgrade there if need be. I know this is a little open ended but hoping to get some suggestions or ideas on what to consider. Thanks!
    Being open to suggestions can often result in a great outcome.

Be aware there price increases going to happen because of the dollar exchange rate by the end of the year.

Making a choice now may see you save 10-15% . The sponsors are offering great purchases at a good price now.

Good Luck with this exciting next part of your coffee journey.

ST
    Thanks for the advice. Been doing reading while away for the long weekend and sounds like the Junior is pretty popular within the price range. Will need to have a more detailed look when I get back to a computer

Regarding grinders, how does the Rocky compare to the M2M or the K3 Push? I notice a difference to the Sunbeam grinder but I don't have any idea on the relative difference to those two, particularly if there's even more to upgrade to in a few years time.

Quote Originally Posted by ST View Post
    how does the Rocky compare
    You won't notice a huge difference. Stepless is nice but no big deal.

A rule of thumb is buy the best grinder you can afford (and there are perhaps better grinders at close to the same price point) and worry about the machine second, but now that you've got a Rocky rest assured it's a decent minimum. If you upgrade you will have caved in to upgraditis/ aesthetic reasons - nothing wrong with that, I've been there done that and don't regret it either... Unless the Rocky is a doser then you might switch to a doserless for functional reasons.

Used Rockys are easy enough to sell.
    Last edited by WantRancilio10; 5th October 2015 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WantRancilio10 View Post
    You won't notice a huge difference. Stepless is nice but no big deal.

A rule of thumb is buy the best grinder you can afford (and there are perhaps better grinders at close to the same price point) and worry about the machine second, but now that you've got a Rocky rest assured it's a decent minimum. If you upgrade you will have caved in to upgraditis/ aesthetic reasons - nothing wrong with that, I've been there done that and don't regret it either... Unless the Rocky is a doser then you might switch to a doserless for functional reasons.

Used Rockys are easy enough to sell.
    WantRancilio10's comments are spot on. I have a Rocky at work and a K3 push at home - the key differences are that the K3 grinds faster and sometimes the steps on the Rocky can be a bit big for a particular bean. As I said in my earlier post, I would dearly love to upgrade to the Macap M4D grinder, where I think there really is a bigger difference in performance and possibly in the cup. There are also the additional goodies such as timed dosing etc. Personally, I would stick with Rocky, till you could afford the M4D - and as WantRancilio10 says, the Rocky is easy enough to sell - especially on Ebay.

Cheers, Dave

Hi. Just ordered a Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX from Talk Coffee, to replace my Rancilio Silvia PID that finally gave up the ghost after eight years of great service. Looking forward to getting my hands on my new baby. Will post my impressions here when I settle it in. Thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee for his help and advice.
    TC likes this.