Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WantRancilio10
  • 1 Post By WantRancilio10

Thread: Upgrade Recommendation - Like Jura Impressa J9

Question Upgrade Recommendation - Like Jura Impressa J9

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

I think my 4 year old Sunbeam Cafe Series Thermoblock is about to die and I'm looking at stepping it up to a fully automatic replacement. I like the look and feature set of the Jura Impressa J9 but I've seen too many negative comments about the milk temperature not being hot enough - this is a deal breaker for me (because it would be a deal breaker for the wife). Is there anything with a similar feature set and price tag that doesnt have the poor temperature reputation?

Welcome Galahadoc

Coffeesnobs can be a blunt forum - you might have noticed that already. I also have no experience with the Impressa so my comments are a little gratuitous.

A blunt response is that most snobs on this site consider that a semi-competent person with decent manual equipment will do better than you will with a fully auto, which are generally difficult to maintain properly and more prone to maintenance problems/short life spans.

Good auto machines do serve a purpose particularly in the office environment and they can do good coffee. The coffee produced by fully-autos is different from coffee produced by other methods. Just like stove top espresso produces different espresso to a manual machine. Some here would consider fully-autos produce coffee which is merely an attempt to replicate what the general public recognise as espresso and they are unlikely to produce the flavoursome authentic crema that the best espresso is renowned for.

So... would you consider spending your, what appears to be quite reasonable budget, on a good grinder and decent manual machine? If it's good coffee you want you need to invest a little time in the process. If it's one-touch convenience you want and you don't mind coffee a bit bland (but consistent) stick with you fully-auto aspirations.
    DaveD likes this.

G'day "Galahadoc"...

Seems to be quite a few happy owners of the J9 via the link below, and even a suggestion for how to overcome the 'warm' milk issue...
    Jura J Line Reviews - ProductReview.com.au

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by WantRancilio10 View Post
    Welcome Galahadoc

Coffeesnobs can be a blunt forum - you might have noticed that already. I also have no experience with the Impressa so my comments are a little gratuitous.

A blunt response is that most snobs on this site consider that a semi-competent person with decent manual equipment will do better than you will with a fully auto, which are generally difficult to maintain properly and more prone to maintenance problems/short life spans.

Good auto machines do serve a purpose particularly in the office environment and they can do good coffee. The coffee produced by fully-autos is different from coffee produced by other methods. Just like stove top espresso produces different espresso to a manual machine. Some here would consider fully-autos produce coffee which is merely an attempt to replicate what the general public recognise as espresso and they are unlikely to produce the flavoursome authentic crema that the best espresso is renowned for.

So... would you consider spending your, what appears to be quite reasonable budget, on a good grinder and decent manual machine? If it's good coffee you want you need to invest a little time in the process. If it's one-touch convenience you want and you don't mind coffee a bit bland (but consistent) stick with you fully-auto aspirations.
    Been there and doing it. I already have a good grinder and my reasonable manual machine is on its way out after 4 years. I love a great tasting coffee, but I rarely make it for just one, so just making 2 coffees twice a day is a minimum 20-30 minute investment. I also think that saying a semi-competent person will do better than a fully auto is not really accurate, I've had plenty of poor coffees made by semi-competent people with decent equipment. Plus I'm often travelling and wife is not confident with manual process - I'm fairly sure about the fully-auto aspirations.

I appreciate your feedback, blunt or not, it's the sort of comment I listened to 4 years ago when I invested in what I did - back when I wasnt working 14 hour days and didnt have a new baby. But if I was going to consider another manual machine I wouldnt have been posting for feedback within a forum titled $1500-3000.

I'm also looking at the Delonghi Prima Donna's if that helps with any recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day "Galahadoc"...

Seems to be quite a few happy owners of the J9 via the link below, and even a suggestion for how to overcome the 'warm' milk issue...
    Jura J Line Reviews - ProductReview.com.au

Mal.
    Thanks Mal. I hadnt seen this process for a work around. Most work arounds I saw involved the microwave, which I'm not ok with.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahadoc View Post
    I'm fairly sure about the fully-auto aspirations.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahadoc View Post
    But if I was going to consider another manual machine I wouldnt have been posting for feedback within a forum titled $1500-3000.
    Why? That's the "sweet spot" for value for manual HX machines. The process takes less than 5 minutes to make two large lattes.
    readeral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WantRancilio10 View Post
    Fair enough.

Why? That's the "sweet spot" for value for manual HX machines. The process takes less than 5 minutes to make two large lattes.
    What's HX?

Most commercial machines and many better home machines are single boiler heat exchanger (HX) machines. They allow you to pull a shot and steam milk simultaneously. Dual boiler machines offer the same functionality. Most in the home HX/dual boiler machines cost between $1400 - $4000ish.

You might consider a breville oracle - many of its features are kinda automatic. Lots of bells and whistles to help remove guess work. It's a machine owned by many snobs (along with its cousin the breville dual boiler bes920). Once you know your settings on the Oracle for your brand of coffee beans, type of milk, strength of coffee, etc and always use fresh beans then all cups should be consistent. And your wife wouldnt need to understand much of it to operate it.

Upgrade Recommendation - Like Jura Impressa J9

Heat exchanger. The steam boiler also transfers heat to the brewing system, means pulling a shot and steaming your milk can happen concurrently. I've only had my machine a month, but can put together a cup first thing in the morning in under 5 minutes. 1 minute to prepare the workbench, weigh my beans, 1 minute to grind and tamp, 1 minute to brew and steam, 2 minutes to pour my milk and get myself chillin' at the kitchen table. That's being generous, more often than not its about 2 1/2 minutes. I can understand that working long hours and having a kid would make even that seem like a lot of effort though Enjoying the ritual is a major part of my overall enjoyment, but sometimes you don't have that luxury.

Cool. So similar as the Twin Thermoblock on the Sunbeam. I know low end in the HX scene but same concept. I had a quick look at the Oracle, maybe I'll take a 2nd. Thanks.

Time for a Breville owner to step in...
    Where's Barry D when you need him?

Barry - give us a wave!

Looks like I'm sold on the Oracle. Too bad I can't find anywhere to actually demo one and make sure the wife is happy to operate, but she seemed to like the features - especially the auto grinding and tamping. Temperature setting for milk is a bonus and to be honest one of the main reasons I have stepped back from the fully auto options. Probably going to grab one tomorrow. Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow guys!