Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By WantRancilio10
  • 2 Post By Dimal

Thread: Beginner moving away from the cafe tiera

Beginner moving away from the cafe tiera

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

First post after alot of reading.

Im looking at getting my first machine. I have a list that I have found second hand and willing to purchase.

- Breville BES900
    - Rancillio s26
    - Faema E98 Compact S1

Possibly a broad question but what would you all recommend out of these? For home use with fresh beans. I currently use a ISOMAC coffee grinder.

Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by anthonygrisan View Post
    - Rancillio s26
    Does this need to be plumbed?
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by WantRancilio10 View Post
    Does this need to be plumbed?
    Welcome.
    Thank you,

No it doesn't.

All would be capable of a great brew with the right ingredients and technique.

The breville has a great feature set but if it breaks might not be able to be fixed economically, and you can't DIY as parts are not available.

Not sure on the rancillio but the Faema/Cimbali are built like a tank and should last for years, with parts available and easy to DIY fix if you are handy. Needs a cooling flush if left idle for a bit (non thermo syphon heat exchanger) but that's no big deal.

Oops, pressed send too quickly.

Buying used I would suggest the Faema and Rancillio would be the safest bet.

Aesthetics are another consideration.

Cheers

I cannot be much help as I haven’t used all of these machines.
    I have been using one of the first Breville BES900 machines sold in Sydney for over 4 years. The only trouble was the replacement of an O ring at year one under warranty.

As for the Faema being built like a tank, that may be nice but tanks are not known for their ability to produce great coffee. Nothing has broken on my Brevelle.

It is not known how long the Breville BES900 will last, when looked after, as it has only existed for 4 years.

Any machine that produces water at the desirable temperature and pressure can make good coffee. However the addition of things like a PID, pre infusion, three way valves for back flushing, all help the owner to consistently produce great coffee.

Anthony, it is only you who, after your research, can decide which machine will better suit you and live in your kitchen.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post

As for the Faema being built like a tank, that may be nice but tanks are not known for their ability to produce great coffee.
    Strangely enough there is a correlation between the quality of espresso from machines built with quality heavy duty components and those using components better suited to a hair dryer. 

The Rancilio and the Faema are big units so make sure you have room and approval of other users of the kitchen. While they should last a long time much will depend on their history to date.

All of the machines in the OP are notionally capable in-the-cup.
    Dimal likes this.

There are plenty of CSers here who own and use Faema/La Cimbali machines and love them...
    Nothing wrong with being built to last...

Mal.

awesome replies and thank you!
    Im leaning towards the faema as it is pretty easy to work on and the footprint is perfect. I want a duel boiler machine for entertaining and ease of use. I love a strong long black myself but the wife likes hers milky. The Faema E98 S1 is a nice looking machine and built like a tank.
    The breville is a nice machine but I would prob get the BES920 for warranty and you are able to descale it. The rancillio is a no due to the work needed to be done to it is not worth it.

Is the Sylvia worth a look but due to a bit of milk frothing will i regret not spending a little more?

If you regularly do milk coffees, get a heat exchanger / dual boiler. I find it far more convenient. And it will delay upgradeitis!

Also the Faema /Cimbali is available in a few different configurations. The A1 is tank/plumbed with rotary pump and volumetric controls. But is wider than the S1.

so i found a Breville bes900 for 500 that sounds like a good deal. I inspected it and it pulled a good coffee and is a twin boiler. Would you recommend this over the Faema E98 s1?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonygrisan View Post
    so i found a Breville bes900 for 500 that sounds like a good deal. I inspected it and it pulled a good coffee and is a twin boiler. Would you recommend this over the Faema E98 s1?
    Not in a million years if the Faema is a goer...

Mal.
    Vinitasse and Gavisconi007 like this.

Personally I would sway towards the Faema (based on the machines being in equal states of repair). I like to tinker and DIY, something that isn't very favourable on the breville.

The breville is capable of making great coffee and is much smaller, and looks newer than the industrial like Faema. It has many user friendly features too. Aesthetics are a personal choice obviously.

The longevity and serviceability of the breville is something to consider, having said that many people have had a good run.

Cheers

fair call artman thank you.

So i tested the faema i was going to buy and it was in very poo condition so im getting th bes 900! cannot wait!