Thread: Steam from Group Head on ECM Giotto

Steam from Group Head on ECM Giotto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    I have an ECM Giotto Classic that is now over 11yrs old, recently it started to have steam come out of the group head so can't make a coffee. I have a pressurestat but have not installed this as yet, will the problem I have described be this or will there be another issue somewhere? The machine definitely sounds different when in this mode. Whilst the machine is apart I'll remove the boiler level probe to check that as well, will this be a matter of cleaning or will that need replacing? would it be advisable to remove the boiler completely to clean out thoroughly?

As a side note some time ago I bought all the parts to refurb the group head (seals, springs, valves, gaskets). With the Classic currently unused I went ahead & pulled the group head down, cleaned & replaced all the relevant parts. Gotta say that the mushroom was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Some scale but a good soak in descaler & a good rub down cleaned it up nicely. Scouring the web I saw many examples that were much worse than mine & nowhere near the age. Must have been the use of filtered water for the first 6 years.

Cheers
    Peter

TC
    I hope it's something else, but if it's not routine cooling flush of this older machine, it could possibly be a breached heat exchanger.

You'd then get something much closer to the 120 deg + that the boiler operates at as boiler water would be entering it... Dead boiler = big $$$ unless you can scrounge one somewhere. Many would consider it pretty much terminal.

NB soaking the mushroom in descaler has nothing to do with a descale of the machine....

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    I hope it's something else, but if it's not routine cooling flush of this older machine, it could possibly be a breached heat exchanger.

You'd then get something much closer to the 120 deg + that the boiler operates at as boiler water would be entering it... Dead boiler = big $$$ unless you can scrounge one somewhere. Many would consider it pretty much terminal.

NB soaking the mushroom in descaler has nothing to do with a descale of the machine....
    Yep know that cleaning the mushroom is not descaling the system. I did run descaler through system as well however. I'll do another round with that & if that doesn't help give the method mention elsewhere on this site a go (think it was your write up).

Hope it's not a major boiler problem as well.

Is the boiler repairable if there is a breach?

Cheers
    Last edited by Ozklee; 9th November 2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added question

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozklee View Post
    Is the boiler repairable if there is a breach?
    Anything is doable- if you can find someone with the equipment and expertise to do it at a price which you can afford.

Most would replace it...

Will have to pull the lid off. I can pull about 3 shots then it plays up, sounds like the pump is not getting water through at times. Will take the time & replace the pressurestat & clean out the lines. Will do a proper flush as well.

By the way, thanks for your advice, it's appreciated.

Cheers
    Peter