Thread: La pavoni blown heating element

La pavoni blown heating element

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,
    I've got a Pub E that is shorting to earth, I assume the heating element has rusted through. Has anyone attempted to fix one of these before?

fatcat,
    Please forgive my ignorance,define "Pub E that is shorting to earth".
    I have a La Pavoni Professional lever and very occasionally they need the reset button pressed,maybe this is what is required with your La Pavoni,unless yours is a different model altogether.
    So,more information please.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Sorry I'll explain further, anytime time it's turned on the circuit breaker trips. I found that there was a connection between the earth pin and active on the plug, my assumption which I'm hoping someone can verify is that the heating element has rusted through. This would create the path from live power to earth.

fatcat,
    Earth pin to active connection (not good!) however,first things first,have you a multimeter or some means to check continuity?
    Don't go any further unless you know the possible hazards/implications to yours and anyone else's safety!
    Ensure machine is disconnected from mains power.......nothing present to zap you!
    Access you machine and locate the heating elements electrical connections.
    One element at a time,disconnect an active lead and then check for continuity (active pin to earth pin),if no change reconnect lead again and go on to next lead until you have discounted heating elements shorting.
    See how you go with this and report back.
    Potentially something like the water level controller being dodgy (which does lots of other controlling too!).
    Hear from you soon.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Just thought that your machine might not be a multi elemented (commercial machine)and single heating element.
    if this is the case,disconnect both active and neutral connected leads then confirm your active pin to neutral pin continuity.
    What model La pavoni is your machine,can you provide details,please?

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Just thought that your machine might not be a multi elemented (commercial machine)and single heating element.
    if this is the case,disconnect both active and neutral connected leads then confirm your active pin to neutral pin continuity.
    What model La pavoni is your machine,can you provide details,please?
    Its a Pub E 1 group, there is only one heating element and that is what i measured.

Resistance to earth is around 2 mega ohm which is fairly high but points to rust etc.

From the above I am fairly sure i know the issue I just want to know if anyone has tried replacing it.