• 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 2 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By Hadrami
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Problem with brewing pressure - ECM Technika IV Profi

Problem with brewing pressure - ECM Technika IV Profi

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Not sure if this is in the right category so mods please feel free to amend.

I have a 2 year old ECM Technika IV Profi and the brewing pressure has dropped down to 6. I have tried to manually adjust it but no success. It is also intermittently cutting off.

And ideas?

Thanks.

IMG_20151226_114843.jpg

G'day mate...

Probably would have been better placed in the "Pointy End" machines category....

What happens if you grind fine enough to choke the machine; pressure still low?

Mal.
    sprezzatura likes this.

Haven't tried that but I did a backflush but pressure still wouldn't go past 6.

When you say manually adjust you mean you've increased resistance on the over pressure relief valve, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    When you say manually adjust you mean you've increased resistance on the over pressure relief valve, yes?
    I'm not too familiar with all the correct terms but see the screw right under the water tank, I've turned that clockwise all the way.

That's correct. Did the pressure come up at all?

Also, try placing your blind (cleaning) basket in the group handle and engage the pump: does water discharge through the clear silicone tube connected to the brass valve below the screw we're talking about? It returns water to the reservoir (tank).

That's correct. Did the pressure come up at all?
    No, stayed the same at 6.

Also, try placing your blind (cleaning) basket in the group handle and engage the pump: does water discharge through the clear silicone tube connected to the brass valve below the screw we're talking about? It returns water to the reservoir (tank).
    Checked that as well, and it seems to be functioning properly. Still brewing at 6 bars and there doesn't seem to be any loss of water.

My guess, if the screw on the bypass valve is in all the way clockwise (least water bypass) and your pump is operating nominally then you may have a faulty OPV (over pressure relief valve - which regulates reciprocating pump pressure). Other culprits can be: faulty pressure gauge; obstruction downstream from OPV which may be in the group head itself.

Unless you're keen to start disassembling your group to trouble-shoot further it may be a good time to take it in for a service.

There is the intermittent power issue you mentioned as well. This can be any one of (probably) 3 things electrical which requires electrical fault diagnosis. Unless you're electrical it's better to have a machine tech trouble-shoot it for you.

I used my last machine @ 4.5 and 6bar. It was pretty happy there. Grind fine and tamp light until you can find a good service centre (there are plenty here - see Sponsors).

Matthew

Gosh! I missed something! The Profi has a rotary pump in the rear. You may need to adjust the bypass on the rotary pump.

Here is an image. The adjustment is on the right in the image (not mine) which is on the pump. The other (on the left) is the OPV on this model.

You will need to remove the cowling to get to the rotary pump. You will know if you have a rotary pump because the machine won't sound like a miniature jack-hammer when you're extracting a shot.

Same rule applies: clockwise to increase pressure.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451193306.640510.jpg

If adjusting the bypass (which normally has a lock nut) does nothing to the crew pressure (check with a blind) then it's possible the piston inside the bypass is stuck and not moving. This happened on my machine (Faema) and I unscrewed the bypass from the pump head, cleaned it up, relubed and all was well.

If you adjust your brew pressure to 10 bar with a blind it will be about 9 bar with a brew flow.

You want to adjust the OPV to 12 bar. It's there so if the pump pressure goes very high the OPV will bleed off the excess as a safety fail safe. You can test it by ramping up the pressure on the pump and seeing when it starts bypassing.

Cheers
    sprezzatura likes this.

Definitely - the bypass piston is a culprit. You can back it off a full turn and advance it the same several times which can free the piston (sometime the o ring on the piston can stick after a period of non-use).

Yep that's what was wrong with mine. No amount of turning the screw would free it. On my pump head the entire piston housing could easily be unscrewed and everything cleaned and lubed. It is just a piston with a seal and a spring behind it to provide the adjustable pre load. I posted a thread on it here a while ago it's pics.

Should be an easy fix.

Cheers
    kranked and sprezzatura like this.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a go and report back.
    sprezzatura likes this.

Something I also noticed from your photo in the opening post, is that there appears to be lot of detritus in the water tank.
    If this is the case, maybe your water filter options are not working well, and some of this 'grit' is finding its way into parts of the hydraulic circuit that it shouldn't.

Please disregard if this is not the case...

Mal.
    sprezzatura likes this.

Ok so I finally got a chance to open up the machine, but am not sure what I am looking for? I placed the water tank up the top to get a clear shot.

IMG_20160104_135924.jpg
    Last edited by Hadrami; 4th January 2016 at 02:27 PM.

Any ideas?

Yours has a vibe pump, not rotary. Hard to see without being able to follow the piping but the valve near the tank looks to be the pressure adjuster.

Do you see any change in pressure using a blind when this is adjusted? Is there any water bypassing out of the plastic hose?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Yours has a vibe pump, not rotary. Hard to see without being able to follow the piping but the valve near the tank looks to be the pressure adjuster.

Do you see any change in pressure using a blind when this is adjusted? Is there any water bypassing out of the plastic hose?

Cheers
    I've turned that as much as possible and tightened one of the bolts and managed to get it back up to 7 bars, that's all. Checked all the plastic hoses and there doesn't seem to be any leakages.

Thanks.

Any other advise guys?

If nothing is working, I'd book in a service to get it sorted.

Problem with brewing pressure - ECM Technika IV Profi

If you do get it serviced, would love to know the outcome. I have one of these machines, and as much as I hope it won't break down, would be good to know if there are any things to look out for.
    Have you considered that it might be scale?
    Last edited by readeral; 6th January 2016 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Still using it at 7 bars. Noob question but is descaling same as back flush?

No! Back flush is removing the espresso coffee deposits. Descale is removing the boiling water deposits in the boiler. Very different areas and chemicals!

Are you getting water flowing out of the hose if using the blind?

This would indicate you are bleeding pressure and the OPV might be the issue.

If no flow then it might be your pump not producing enough pressure.

Cheers
    Cheers

FWIW I had same problem.

Turned out pump was in slow decline.

Replaced pump and now back at 9-10 pressure.