Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: VBM Jnr HX

VBM Jnr HX

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've had my Jnr HX for a couple of years now and do love. However in the last month or two, I've come to notice that I really have never heard the shhh sound when doing a cooling flush prior to pulling a shot, as shown in so many videos for hx machines. I also notice that even if the machine has been on for an hour or so, this still does not happen, even though the group head is hot to touch. In fact, I can put my finger under the head and let the shot come out and its really not anywhere near 95deg. I have my machine on a timer which turns on around 45mins before I get up so all is ready. I've done some searching on CS site and others which talk about checking the mushroom for scale (done this an all ok), I regularly do the cleaning procedure (not a full boiler descale). My boiler pressure is getting up to around 1.3bar and brew pressure gets up to around 9.8bar...all within normal range. Coffee extraction is good, I do run the grind on the fine side for this machine (around 18g double basket), but am getting slightly sour taste which was the reason I started to check for temp. Steam is great. I can increase the boiler pressure which is supposed to give a higher temp, but I am worried of going too high. Any other suggestions?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by piccoloman View Post
    I've had my Jnr HX for a couple of years now and do love. However in the last month or two, I've come to notice that I really have never heard the shhh sound when doing a cooling flush prior to pulling a shot
    You shouldn't!

Your machine (assuming it was purchased in Australia) is configured for Australian coffee.

Cooling flush is 10 years ago stuff and does not apply to correctly configured HX machines. Rinse the group and just use it.

If you increase boiler temperature, the machine will run hot. To correctly check temperature, you will need to get a finger into that portafilter, use a bead probe on a puck or get a Scace device. I'm betting your machine is working correctly and that the slightly sour relates to the coffee or your technique...

Cheers

Chris
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for that, makes me feel a bit better. Yes the machine was bought in Aus. What do you mean configured for Aus coffee, do you mean amount of coffee used per basket? Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't the water out of the group head be at least too hot to touch (no handle in). Again thanks for the reply.