• 1 Post By kbc
  • 2 Post By stoobydale
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By kbc

Thread: Best bang for buck?

Best bang for buck?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Spent far too much time searching on the internet and it's just time to bite the bullet and buy. Looking to spend about $2000 for a machine, probably a HX and would like new if possible. What is the best bang for buck at the moment? Are there any shops with good deals or is there a best time to buy?

Contact a few of our great sponsors. Often they have a special or a demo model. They only stock good quality gear.
    A lot depends on where you live. And what is most important you get good after sale service and advice.
    stoobydale likes this.

G'day mate...

What sort of grinder do you have?
    Pretty important to have a decent one...

Mal.
    stoobydale likes this.

It's a good idea to let us know where you live. No use us recommending shops on the east coast of you live in Perth.
    If possible, go to a showroom and check out a range of machines.

The best time to buy is when you are ready. The exchange rate will have an impact so if the Oz dollar slides, expect prices to increase (not immediately). Some of the sponsors also sell used equipment.

Keep in mind these points:
    - what sort of grinder you have/need. As Mal said, this is a very important part of coffee making. if you don't have a good one, factor that into your budget and allow at least $500.
    - what sort of coffee you intend making (espresso/long black/milk-based/all of the above)
    - how many coffees you will be making at a time
    - how much available space you will have for your new kit
    stoobydale likes this.

Thanks for the reply's. I live in North Brisbane and I have an Iberital MC2 grinder which I think should be good enough. Mainly Cappucchino's, Latte's and Americano's and probably no more than about 4-6 a day. Bench space won't be a problem although I would probably prefer a fairly compact model.

TC
    The VBM Domobar Junior is our pick in the <$2.5k price range. QLD no problem and we have service in place for Brisbane.

Vibiemme Domobar Junior | Talk Coffee
    stoobydale likes this.

Site Sponsor
    In that price range you could also consider the Lelit Mara. And a dual boiler - PL60T. (You mention a HX, but I'm guessing you'd be happy with a dual boiler too?)

charlie
    TC and stoobydale like this.

Thanks for the reply's. Not too keen on the styling of the PL60T and probably won't find a double boiler machine with the E61 group head in my budget. It would be nice though. I suppose the machines that that are within or very close to budget are,

Isomac Tea Due
    Expobar Minore IV
    Office Leva
    ECM Barista
    Lelit Mara
    Vibiemme Domobar Junior

I am struggling to find a review that would put any of these machines a cut above the other, made more difficult by my lack of knowledge. I am thinking that it will probably just come down to the best deal and personal preference on styling.

I suspect your last sentence is correct; they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The coffee produced by any of your choices won't disappoint. Don't rely too heavily on reviews as few have had access to multiple coffee machines to compare. This is where you need expert advice from a retailer who sells or has experience of a wide range of machines. Being able to see these machines in the 'flesh' and even demo'd is a bonus.

Note that the Expobar Minore IV is a E61 double boiler and retails around $2.5K+.
    Dimal and stoobydale like this.

It's a shame about the Lelit styling, given what they've managed to pack into that machine! That being said - go see the machines in the flesh, the Lelit looks way nicer on a bench than in a promo photo that's for sure.
    tonto and stoobydale like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post

Note that the Expobar Minore IV is a E61 double boiler and retails around $2.5K+.
    Yes 25% over budget but available at the moment for $2499.00

Sunbeam torino fits within the budget!

Sorry, couldnt resist. OP please disregard my (and Sunbeam's) very poor attempt at a joke
    iggs and Zumaray like this.

Even Choice magazine agrees re the Joke:
    Never The Same Grind Twice!

What did choice say?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    What did choice say?
    Good points • Good taste test score.
    • Very good milk frothing.
    • Very even coffee temperature when making consecutive cups of coffee, rated excellent.
    • Automatic power turn-off.
    • Programmable coffee delivery.
    • Comes with coffee grinder.
    • Drip tray with full indicator.
    • Cup warming plate.
    • Excellent instructions regarding pre-heating the cups/machine and coffee making.
    Bad points • Our tester found that when adjusting the grinder for the machine, the shots are not repeatable with the same setting from one day to the next, so constant readjustment is necessary. Sunbeam says the machine "is more sensitive to change than the rest of our range, however this was identified as a requirement for high end manual coffee machines". It says that the machine machine reacts to small changes such as pressure during tamping. It also notes that in its first production models, the factory pre-infusion setting was set to be too sensitive. However, we did not find any difference in our results when testing was conducted using the recommended setting.
    • It's a fairly big job to keep the polished stainless steel surface clean and spot free as there are lots of places for dirt entrapment.
    Note: Sunbeam says the display dial artwork on early production models such as the one we tested will be improved so that the optimum coffee-making settings are set in the green zone.

kbc
    Expobar Minore !!! Dual boiler for typical HX price. Expobar always wins in bang for the buck. It's the Holden Commodore. All the performance without the frills. That's it IMO
    stoobydale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly404 View Post
    Expobar Minore !!! Dual boiler for typical HX price. Expobar always wins in bang for the buck. It's the Holden Commodore. All the performance without the frills. That's it IMO
    Think our paths may have crossed somewhere else Pauly404 . Yes I think the decision has been made for me due to the exceptional deal I was offered on a Minore IV. Hopefully will be able to arrange delivery before I get home next Thursday.

kbc
    A ha - It's a small world

Thanks for the help with this one. Machine now en route to my house. Ultimately came down to price I suppose, probably more of a machine than I need but hopefully will provide many years of service and enjoyment.

kbc
    Quote Originally Posted by stoobydale View Post
    Thanks for the help with this one. Machine now en route to my house. Ultimately came down to price I suppose, probably more of a machine than I need but hopefully will provide many years of service and enjoyment.
    Share pics of your new baby

Had a couple of weeks to play with my new purchase and have to say I am happy as a pig in the brown stuff. Would be interested to know of anyone else's experience with an Iberital MC2 grinder. I brought this one over from the UK (Think they might have a different name in Aus) and although it was more than good enough for a Gaggia Classic I don't know if it can do justice to the Minore. (Maybe I just have a bad case of "upgrade-itus")
    I have read some reviews saying that this model does not perform too well in the steaming department. I seem to be having the opposite problem, it has a 3 hole tip and I am finding that it is just too quick when preparing milk for just one cup. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Expobar.jpgMinore IV.jpg
    kbc and tonto like this.

kbc
    Great pics. Give in to upgraditis and get a decent grinder now. The Expobar Minore deserves a Macap M4D. The winning bang for the buck machine and bang for the buck grinder - side by side

Best bang for buck?

The Iberital MC2 is one of the best small conical burr grinders (if not the best). It shares many parts with its cousins from Nemox and Isomac, but it has a superior burr mounting system and adjustment collar. Being stepless it's best used solely for espresso as it doesn't adjust quickly over a large range of adjustment. You will however notice a big improvement by upgrading to a small flat burr grinder at the least like a Compak K3, Macap M2M, Rancillio Rocky or Anfim/ECA Best.
    stoobydale likes this.

I used to own an MC2 grinder and TBH i did not like it, pretty noisy and found it hard to adjust the grind, hopper is bit wobbly. retention issue, blah blah. I sold it and bought a Smart grinder pro.

Thought I was doing alright with the MC2 but have now bought a Quamar M80E. Must admit, what a massive difference.

kbc
    Quamar - nice These aren't well known in Australia but they are amazing grinders. I have just started selling them. I was impressed by the Q50 push. It's specs are very close to the Mazzer Mini E and it's half the price.

Nice fit for this bang for the buck thread
    snedden9485 and stoobydale like this.