Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TC

Thread: Rocket Espresso Giotto V3 Possible Pump Issue?

Rocket Espresso Giotto V3 Possible Pump Issue?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CS,

I've chemically backflushed my Rocket Espresso Giotto V3 a few days ago, and have now encountered an issue whereby the pump does not turn off after the lever is pushed into the 'off' position. What is interesting to note is that when the lever is pushed into the 'off' position, the bars jump to 8 bar (without a portafilter attached). When the lever is pushed to an 'on' position, the bars jump to less than 4, and the only way to switch off the bar is to manually turn off the machine via the PowerPoint.

I've uploaded a YouTube video to illustrate my issue

Has anyone come across this issue before? Is it common? If so, can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks!

Vee.

Last edited by mrdunu; 22nd February 2016 at 07:27 AM.

It's not the microswitch behind the brew lever as the water stops when you drop the lever back to the off position. Faulty autofill mechanism or water level probe?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    It's not the microswitch behind the brew lever as the water stops when you drop the lever back to the off position. Faulty autofill mechanism or water level probe?
    Hi flynn. Sorry, but I disagree as the microswitch operates the pump only. Hydraulics are a function of the e-61 lever mechanism and are independent of pump operation.

I'd be investigating the positioning and operation of the microswitch as first port of call.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi flynn. Sorry, but I disagree as the microswitch operates the pump only. Hydraulics are a function of the e-61 lever mechanism and are independent of pump operation. I'd be investigating the positioning and operation of the microswitch as first port of call.
    Fair enough, that makes sense now and happy to be corrected.
    Actually, my first thought was a faulty or sticky switch but when the video showed the water stop flowing after the brew lever was turned off and a restart was required to stop the pump, i thought something else was causing it and changed my reply.

I'd be investigating the positioning and operation of the microswitch as first port of call.
    Thanks for the tip!

Think this is suitable as a DIY? Or would you recommend engaging a technican for further investigation? If the latter, any recommendations within the Sydney vicinity?

You could try manually pushing in the switch button that the lever cam moves. That would indicate that the switch is not being turned off by the cam. Other than that I would suggest it goes to a service place.
    Sydney is a bit bigger than Perth so I can only suggest a forum sponsor. Others may have names but see if there is a sponsor near you who sells Rockets. I get parts from Di Bartoli who I think is a sponsor who sells Rockets there will definitely be others.

Why not use the Quote form from the site heading and say you need some work on the Rocket and where you are located etc.. This is not the intended use but hopefully would get a response from a sponsor near by.

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya View Post
    You could try manually pushing in the switch button that the lever cam moves. That would indicate that the switch is not being turned off by the cam.
    YOU BEAUTY!

I had assumed the microswitch everyone made reference to in their replies was an internal switch, when in fact, it was located (externally) right behind the lever.

While the machine was off, I had manually pushed the microswitch in and out a few times, and everything works as normal again! (for now)

There you have it, root cause is a sticky microswitch.

Thank you CS familia for your help!

Moving forward, does the microswitch require lubricating?

TC
    Good to hear you're up and running.

Yes- can be lubricated and you can also check to see that the cam is making sufficient (but not too much) contact with the microswitch. The microswitch can be adjusted further forward or back if required once you're in the machine.

We're seeing roller microswitches in current stock and they are a big improvement in design over earlier simple push versions.
    Last edited by TC; 22nd February 2016 at 08:30 PM.
    Dimal and sprezzatura like this.

We're seeing roller microswitches in current stock and they are a big improvement in design over earlier simple push versions.
    Thanks for the tip, do you have a link of the roller microswitches? I can't seem to locate them on your site.

I've had a closer look at my micro switch and it seems like thr Giotto V3's came with the roller design as factory.

image.jpg

I am glad that there was a simple solution to your pump problem. The gap I think looks about right.