Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: choice: ecm classika II vs expobar minore IV

Question choice: ecm classika II vs expobar minore IV

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I can pickup a new classika or a year old minore with 3 months warranty for about the same price. You would think the choice would be easy.

I only ever make long blacks. In the 2 years of making coffee i have never been tempted to make anything else.

My criteria is basically e61 group, PID. Is there any reason to pick one over the other in my case?

G'day mate...

I guess you're talking about the "ECM Classika II PID"...

Both machines will do what you want, no problem there. But, if (when) you decide you want to sell your machine and head into something else - A Lever machine like the Izzo for example - I believe you will find the Minore a lot easier to sell and possibly for a higher resale value, so that would be the main consideration in my opinion...

Mal.
    coffeechris likes this.

Yes, resale is one of the major factors im considering. I think shot consistency one way or other would be deciding factor. The minore has a 1.5lt boiler vs .75L for the classika II, will this this affect brew consistency on say 3 cups in a row? The grinder i have is a mazzer robur.

Either machine will easily be able to produce 3+ quality espresso shots consecutively without much effort, so long as you do your part and use great quality, freshly roasted coffee.

I don't know if current Minore machines use Stainless Steel Boilers or not (they used to be copper) but the ECM machines certainly do, which makes them more susceptible to pinhole corrosion (from the inside) if all chlorine compounds are not removed from the water before filling up the water tank. You'd need to ensure that your water filtering measures were of the correct type.

Mal.

Thanks, the minore uses copper boilers. Ive decided to buy the minore.

Can any user out there tell me if you can still get hot water from the machine when the steam boiler is off? ie water in the cup before i pull my shot for a long black?

having seen a diagram of how the hot water works in the minore ive changed my mind. I think i will need to have the steam boiler on to get hot water. Seems a pointless waste of energy to have that much water heated up all the time.

You can always get hot water from the group

yes i could, messy and a bit of a pain as i normally use a naked portafilter. I have been reading a lot, still seems a PID boiler system is better for my needs than a HX. The only negative to a good single boiler seems to be resale, not that i can actually find a second hand single boiler pid for sale.

kbc
    I had 5 machines in 10 years. The dual boiler was my cure for upgraditis.

Good to know. Ive been reading about flushing on the hx, didnt seem so bad though everyone says how much cheaper a hx machine is compared to a dual boilerm, i havent actually found a decent hx thats much cheaper than the Minore.

kbc
    Quote Originally Posted by awinner View Post
    Good to know. Ive been reading about flushing on the hx, didnt seem so bad though everyone says how much cheaper a hx machine is compared to a dual boilerm, i havent actually found a decent hx thats much cheaper than the Minore.
    Good point. The Minore is the price of a typical HX . Bang for the buck? YEP!!

Quote Originally Posted by awinner View Post
    I can pickup a new classika or a year old minore with 3 months warranty for about the same price. You would think the choice would be easy.

I only ever make long blacks. In the 2 years of making coffee i have never been tempted to make anything else.

My criteria is basically e61 group, PID. Is there any reason to pick one over the other in my case?
    Hi, I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago and ended up buying a Minore IV for a very good price and couldn't be happier.

mjs
    Picked up a second hand Minore III a couple of months ago, similarly, could not be happier.

I agree that the Minore will give a better resale value vs the Classika. But everyone loves the look of the ECM's.