• 1 Post By readeral
  • 2 Post By yabba
  • 3 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By PeterMer
  • 1 Post By axs

Thread: Upgrade from Silva

Upgrade from Silva

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All - I have had my faithful Silva V1 for going on 10 - 12 years. I have had it serviced often and it still works OK. It still makes a good shot. However I have decided to treat myself to a new machine.

My question like a lot of others here is what machine next.

My profile:

*. I like Espresso shots.
    *. I don't want to wait a long time for the machine to heat up for Espresso. (Before I get blasted about proper warm up time. I start work at +-4am and cannot wait around for 20+ mins for warmup, sleep comes first. No a timer does not suit).
    *. Friends come over they usually like Latte. So twin boiler is on the wish list.
    *. Somewhat compact as I don't have a huge space.
    *. Budget +-2K.
    *. Should be a better shot than the Silva if I am spending more.

Any suggestions welcome. I am based on the northern beaches in Sydney.

I have looked at the Lelit PL60T V2 (with PID) @$2000. The machine and reviews look good. However I have not seen a lot of other brands to choose from. Hence my request here to check if there is something better out there?

Many thanks in advance.

P
    kbc likes this.

Seems to be lot of love for the Vibiemme Domobar Junior

TC
    Hi Peter,

I'd be recommending the same machine (PL60T V2) based on your brief. I think your research is done....

Chris

Find a supplier in Sydney, someone like Jetblack Espresso (Frenches Forrest) who has the Lelit and others. Spend time playing with them and then read the reviews etc. Go for a local supply to ensure easy after sales service. Its a little more expensive but I'd have a look at the Rocket V3. I haven't tried the V3 but the Rockets I have tried have been very good. Also, there obviously isn't only one machine that would do the job so include how it looks and operates in your decision.

Cheers Yabba
    Last edited by yabba; 4th April 2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Couldn't rate JetBlack more highly. Were great with my enquiries, were great with after sales service. I'm certain they'll be great for machine general service in due time too!
    TC likes this.

Yeah pop in to Jetblack. They're open 6 days a week so there's plenty of opportunity to visit them. I was in there recently and the PL60T was one of the machines that was running, ready to test. It's not a small machine, but it's far from the biggest so I reckon there's a good chance it'll fit the bill. VBM Domobar Jr and Lelit Mara are good, small HX machines in the price range. But both have e61 group heads so would prefer a 30-40min warm up. The Lelit PID is probably not quite at its best, but should be usable after about a 10min warm up and a flush through the group and PF. Happy shopping.

After 6 years with a pid'ed Sylvia I have recently upgraded to a VBM Domobar Super Rotary. The difference is quite astonishing. I now feel the limiting factor is me not the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by spencarr View Post
    After 6 years with a pid'ed Sylvia I have recently upgraded to a VBM Domobar Super Rotary. The difference is quite astonishing. I now feel the limiting factor is me not the machine.
    Hi spencarr. Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Can I ask how is the warm up time on the VBM?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMer View Post
    *. I don't want to wait a long time for the machine to heat up for Espresso. (Before I get blasted about proper warm up time. I start work at +-4am and cannot wait around for 20+ mins for warmup, sleep comes first. No a timer does not suit).
    Why is a timer an issue for you? Single Boilers can't be safely run from a timer due to the requirement that the boiler be manually primed but HX/DB machines do not have that issue.

That being said, I personally have a VBM Domobar Jr, and I just leave it switched on, ran some tests a while back and didn't see any dramatic difference power-consumption wise from running it off a timer (that being said my timer was switching it on at 0600 and off at 2300).

For heat up time I believe the Lelit is faster, as there's less thermal mass involved.

Hi All - something worries me about the Lelit. It is a very bland looking machine.I like the PID feature the most on the PL60T V2. How would you rate the Lelit against the Vibiemme Domobar Junior. At $150 more is it better machine in the long run?

That's the 'gotcha' with the Lelits. You have to see them in person to appreciate how nice they look - photos on the internet just don't manage to portray them at their best!

Its like if you have kids and one is just plain ugly, it's a throw back from your great Auntie that worked in the freak shows. Now, we say we love the ugly ones as much as the others but the reality is we close our eyes when we kiss them goodnight and try not to gag.

Just remember that you will look at your machine more than you will use it so if the lelit isn't your thing don't buy it. Personally I like the look of Vibiemme over the lelit and would happily pay the extra or negotiate the difference as a discount however you need to try shots from both, I wouldn't get to caught up on the PID at this stage.

Cheers Yabba
    stoobydale and Jad90 like this.

TC
    Hi Peter,

Ultimately it's you who has to live with the machine. The Lelit might be considered as what you get if you want a dual boiler PIDed Silvia. It represents good buying at circa $2k and would get my money in preference to any of the appliance company offers due to build and lifespan- even at the price premium. It's up rapidly, more portable and it will make great coffee. I'd personally have one any day in preference to a Breville. Some would disagree, but that's my call.

The VBM is a trusted and loved e-61 machine, but it will cost you more. It's heavier and most would consider the external finish to be a little better than that of the Lelit. You'd need to add a timer to have it ready and waiting in the morning. It will also produce great coffee.

Both are going to produce great coffee. If possible, view both and sample both.

Chris
    Dimal, kbc and gonzo89 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi Peter,

The VBM is a trusted and loved e-61 machine, but it will cost you more. It's heavier and most would consider the external finish to be a little better than that of the Lelit. You'd need to add a timer to have it ready and waiting in the morning. It will also produce great coffee.

Chris
    Hi all,

Many thanks for your guidance to my questions. I think it will be the VBM over the Lelit. I have been in and looked at both machines. The Lelit is a good machine, no doubt. However there is just something about the Lelit that is not for me @ $2000k

Again many thanks to you all.

kbc

Upgrade from Silva

$2k..... Not far off of a Minore Peter. It's very easy to keep creeping up though.
    Last edited by kbc; 7th April 2016 at 11:34 AM.

Hi Peter, sorry for the delayed reply - hadn't checked in for a few days. Regarding warm up time: my observations are the following:
    1. From Switch on to Element first switching off is under 10 minutes. At this stage the E61 is still cold.
    2. It takes about 30 minutes before the head feels hot.
    3. I 'cheat' by running the heated water through the E61 and portafilter about 15 minutes after switching on. Of course this makes the element turn on more quickly, which must speed the heating process. I haven't timed it exactly but can probably have the machine ready for an extraction in 15 to 20 mins.
    Hope this helps. Spencer.

Hi Peter, sorry for the delayed reply - hadn't checked in for a few days. Regarding warm up time: my observations are the following:
    1. From Switch on to Element first switching off is under 10 minutes. At this stage the E61 is still cold.
    3. I 'cheat' by running the heated water through the E61 and portafilter about 15 minutes after switching on. Of course this makes the element turn on more quickly, which must speed the heating process. I haven't timed it exactly but can probably have the machine ready for an extraction in 15 to 20 mins.

Many that Spencer. Wonder if anyone will ever build in a heating / warming element to the E61 to cut down the warm up time. Perhaps circulate the hot water around the head. Just an idea...

Final decision was the Minore iv from K_Bean_Coffee.

Decision made on:

*. Good customer service by K_Bean_Coffee. (He answered lots of questions and gave good advice)
    *. The Minore iv had the best specs over other models at the price offered.
    *. The price special was a no brainer and came in cheaper than a few of the other models mentioned.

Http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post575831

Excited now to try it out.

Again thanks for everyones help.
    Dimal, kbc and stoobydale like this.

kbc
    Enjoy Peter.
    Thanks for choosing dodgy x and thanks for your comments above

Many that Spencer. Wonder if anyone will ever build in a heating / warming element to the E61 to cut down the warm up time. Perhaps circulate the hot water around the head. Just an idea...

axs
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterMer View Post
    I believe that's what it does - circulate hot water through E61.
    Otherwise it'll take forever to warm up 4kg of brass.

commercial link removed per Site Posting Policy
    ...Simple convection currents allow the "E61 Thermosyphon" to work...

My one feels really hot in less than 20 min.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 11th April 2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Commericial link(s) removed
    readeral likes this.

Also the towel method. I have not tried it myself though.

commercial link removed as per Site Posting Policy
    Last edited by Javaphile; 11th April 2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Commericial link(s) removed

+1 for Domobar Jnr! I upgraded 12 months ago from Silvia to Jnr and love it!! Can't recommend it highly enough. Saying that I haven't tried those other machines. Amazing machine bang for buck and also the size of the machine is smaller for our kitchen.