Thread: Problems with Bezzera BZ02

mg

Problems with Bezzera BZ02

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi I am new to this board and new to espresso machines. I just bought a Bezzera BZ02 DE. I am finding it very difficult to get consistently good espresso shots. This is compounded by the fact that it is very difficult to place the portafilter under the group head, it takes fairly extreme force even with a smaller dose than recommended at the shop where I bought it. I was told at the shop I bought it at that the group head would "loosen" up after use - its been 2 weeks now and the only thing I have at the moment is a very sore arm. Is this a common problem with this model?

One other thing I have noticed is that once the PF is dosed, tamped, etc and placed under the group head, I get quite a loud (mettalic sounding) rattle when producing the espresso shot. When I replace an empty PF under the group head there is no such rattle.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mg

TC

Re: Problems with Bezzera BZ02

Quote Originally Posted by mg link=1181686511/0#0 date=1181686511
    Hi I am new to this board and new to espresso machines. I just bought a Bezzera BZ02 DE. I am finding it very difficult to get consistently good espresso shots. This is compounded by the fact that it is very difficult to place the portafilter under the group head, it takes fairly extreme force even with a smaller dose than recommended at the shop where I bought it. I was told at the shop I bought it at that the group head would "loosen" up after use - its been 2 weeks now and the only thing I have at the moment is a very sore arm. Is this a common problem with this model?

One other thing I have noticed is that once the PF is dosed, tamped, etc and placed under the group head, I get quite a loud (mettalic sounding) rattle when producing the espresso shot. When I replace an empty PF under the group head there is no such rattle.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi MG and welcome to CS...

Sounds to me like there are a couple of issues:

If the group handle is hard to load after 2 weeks, Id be fitting a thinner group gasket. Your machine vendor should be able to attend to that. Its possible that the wrong gasket was fitted when your machine was built.

As for the rattle, a number of things can cause that: It could be in the body of the machine requiring a little adjustment or alternately damping of the pump. Can you listen to another machine to see if its an issue with your machine or a trait of
    that particular model.

Hopefully your supplier was a CS sponsor....We all stand behind our stuff!

Good luck with the problems- hopefully only of the teething type.... ;)

mg

The shop thusfar has been very suportive - they trained me too use the machine - the machine they had in the shop was also a little stiff but did not make the rattle.

Hmmm,

Agree with Chris, since it is a brand new machine Id take it back to the shop and ask them to attend to both the noise youre not happy with and the difficulty with locking in the PF. They should be able to put things right for you,

Cheers,
    Mal.

Site Sponsor

Hi mg,

Welcome to the forum!

As Chris had mentioned, you are looking at 2 seperate problems, which from our previous experience with the Bezzera brand, can be explained as follows:

1. PF not closing properly: does it happen with your single PF, double PF or with both?

A. If its with your single PF, we did find out that Bezzera is using bit of an over sized seals, that normally wear out after 2 to 3 weeks. We also found out that once the handle and the seal had wore out a bit , it will give you the right "six o’clock " position.

B. If it does happen with your double handle as well, you may be looking at asking your supplier to change a seal for you from the "flat" Bezzera seal to the "conical" one, that tends to be less tight.

2. Regarding the rattling noise, there are few scenarios:

A. The most probable one, is that during assembly or machines transit from factory to importer, importer to agent, the pump had actually detached from its holder, thus touching the back wall of the machine , resulting in that noise. Your supplier should be able to open the cover and find out if that is the problem.

B. Few of the BZ02S DE models do come with a more that usual noisy pump. Usually the importer, while testing the machine in their workshop, would pick it up and replace the pump. It could have been missed out in your case.

C. A third scenario, that is likely to happen with other machines as well, is having your coffee ground too fine, thus putting an extra efforts on the pump, causing it to work hard and creating a noise. This case, you may need to play around with your grind size. (what grinder did you get with the machine?)

Whichever the case may be, your supplier should be able to assist you with it.

Ofra / Renzo

mg

Thanks very much for the response. As yet I have not tested the double PF but will do so this afternoon.

On the metallic rattle noise, it seems strange that the noise does not occur when I place the PF empty under the group head and run the water through it.

Grinder - I bought the ECM Best grinder and have it set at poistion 5.5 at the moment.

I will take the machine into the supplier tomorrow and have them oprn the back and have a look at the pump.

MG.

mg

Well I tried the double PF and no vibration. The PF was also much easier to attach under the grouphead. Since then the single PF has loosened up somewhat.

Thanks very much for you help

Now to the more difficult (but enjoyable) task of learning to make great espresso :)

mg