• 1 Post By Gavisconi007
  • 2 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By Gavisconi007
  • 1 Post By leonmok

Thread: Buying used rocket Giotto help

Buying used rocket Giotto help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

i am considering buying a used rocket Giotto premium plus. 1 full gauge for steam pressure. I am also considering new but my interest is also in the workings of the machine and I am handy with tools and electronics. From reading posts I understand that a relay on the control board can fail but I am comfortable with resoldering a new one and have done these things in the past.

I was just looking for some advice about this machine. In particular the owner has said they have not used it for 3 years or so but has emptied the boiler. If I assume this was not done then would there be a possibility of corrosion of the boiler or level gauge etc from still water sitting for so long? Also I assume seals would need replacement as they may have dried out etc. as I said I don't mind putting in the hours and in fact that's why I would buy it as I like to have these hobbies.

Also so is there a way I can check it is an Australian delivered machine and not grey import. Owner can't locate receipt and I want to avoid a grey import for obvious reasons.

Finally what is a fair price in Australia for a machine that is about 5 years old? Obviously I would insist on removing the covers and checking for rust and everything is operational. Also any hints to look for?

Thanks
    leon

Welcome Leon...

Probably see if you can locate the nameplate model details and serial number.
    Then, contact ECA or another of our Site Sponsors, and they may be able to determine its status for you...

Mal.

Thanks Mal,

Yes i'll do that and hope it comes up good. Thanks for the advice.

Leon

Plus One to the old Giottos. Great machines that still give the youngsters a run for their money

Removed quoted For Sale post

Welcome Richard...

Best to keep sale promotions in the 4-Sale Section where they belong mate. Not considered good form...

Mal.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 8th May 2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Removed quoted post
    TC likes this.

TC
    Hi Leon,

The premium plus will be a great get if it has been well maintained and 5YO in good nick should still bring up to $1.5k. It's superior in lots of ways over the earlier premium variant.

Might be worth getting your local tech to have a look on your behalf as well. If he's repaired Rocket before, he'll have an idea of what to look for.

I'd expect a machine which hasn't been used for a few years may need a little work to get going, but if it fires up, everything else should be pretty minor and limited to consumables and possibly scale if it's an issue in your particular unit...

Good luck with the purchase...
    leonmok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Welcome Richard...

Best to keep sale promotions in the 4-Sale Section where they belong mate. Not considered good form...

Mal.
    Thanks Mal....point taken! It did cross my mind although I didn't think it quite constituted an official offer ie: no price, no detailed description etc Can you tell me, is it acceptable to negotiate via the private messaging section of this forum??

Thanks for your advice Talk coffee - very helpful
    TC likes this.

Hi Leonmok,
    i was also looking at this machine I think and would have bought it only it was so difficult to arrange to see the machine that I bought another V1 model. I paid $1300 and the machine just had a $200+ service, receipt included.
    if the one you're looking at is in the parramatta area, I was confident it was purchased locally but like you the fact it was unused for several years concerned me. It's pretty easy to remove the top cover and have a general look around for corrosion, if they let you that is.
    Ive had my machine for 2 days now, still haven't made a great coffee but my worst has been better than the best from my 6910. One other thing, buy a timer to turn it on each morning.

Thanks Robbo1111. sounds like you got a good deal. it prob is the same one you mentioned. I already have a z wave switch ready for the giotto which will mean i can automate on and off times.

Hi guys. Just had a look and the owner has not emptied the boiler before it was unused for years. What's the likelihood of corrosion damage to the boiler and parts inside? Also there was significant scale and the pressure gauge never lifted past .5 bar

Cheers Leon

TC
    Ok- will need some work (factor in $200+ I'd reckon for a descale and service) which may require a revision in negotiated buy price. Nevertheless, if it fires up, nothing too major assuming it's in otherwise good nick. If a replacement gauge is required, factor in an additional $75 (if I recall correctly). Sometimes they clear, sometimes they don't....
    Last edited by TC; 8th May 2016 at 07:26 PM.
    leonmok likes this.

Remember he's in Sydney Chris. Nothing gets done for $200 here. I would suggest $350
    leonmok likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
    Remember he's in Sydney Chris. Nothing gets done for $200 here. I would suggest $350
    ....which is why I suggested $200+

........getting old here......I missed the +......

Thanks guys. I figured that would be the case.

I also remembered when I did a 6 second blind flush and then closed the lever that there was not the amount of pressure coming out the 3 way valve as expected. Is it possible it's not reaching enough pressure due to scale or something else? Seemed to operate ok otherwise. Could hear pump working on and off and also boiler switching on and off also.

TC
    Hi Leon. Again not a biggie. It will be shagged group pistons or group piston seals. Still routine...

Despite the fact that you have some base skills, my professional advice would be to assign your machine (once purchased) to a competent tech.

You could do no better than to visit ECA in Belrose and have them give it a once over. They have spares to build one from its components if required and the tech crew know the Giotto intimately.

I know that they will be delighted to look after your machine and they're top people to boot. In addition, you'll be supporting a sponsor. What comes around....or so they say!
    Dimal and leonmok like this.

Better make that $450!
    leonmok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi Leon. Again not a biggie. It will be shagged group pistons or group piston seals. Still routine...

Despite the fact that you have some base skills, my professional advice would be to assign your machine (once purchased) to a competent tech.

You could do no better than to visit ECA in Belrose and have them give it a once over. They have spares to build one from its components if required and the tech crew know the Giotto intimately.

I know that they will be delighted to look after your machine and they're top people to boot. In addition, you'll be supporting a sponsor. What comes around....or so they say!
    Agreed Chris ECA are great people. They couldn't have been more helpful when I had an issue with my R58

Thanks again Talk Coffee for the advice. We will see how it goes as i dont think the seller expected that there would be all the issues i mentioned and hence price is not really worth it to me. But she did understand the issues as i showed her so i think her intention is to get it serviced then try and sell again. I might suggest she takes it to ECA
    TC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeconleche7 View Post
    is it acceptable to negotiate via the private messaging section of this forum??
    I'd recommend that you contact one of the Site Mod's and even make yourself familiar with the Site Sales and Posting Policy (The Rules), before you go too much further...

Mal.

TC
    No worries Leon,

Assuming the gauge clears (and it's most likely just a plug of scale) and the machine has in fact done not much work, I reckon shower and group seal, 3? x group piston seals (possibly entire pistons if it has done a fair bit), probably a couple of lever cam seals, an o-ring or 3 and a descale will get this up and running fine. Parts? $50-100, Labour? Probably 1.5 hours.

Guesstimate/stabinthedark without seeing it, but I wouldn't get too scared....

It will be a good pickup for another CS'er if you miss out....

THanks again Talk Coffee. I'll see how she goes