Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 2 Post By Dimal

Thread: Getting a coffee machine to run at 10amp

BFY

Getting a coffee machine to run at 10amp

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Wanting to reduce the power being used by my rancilio s20de. Going off the label it's a 4500w machine.

Wanting to take it somewhere (site sponsor?) to look at reducing/changing heating elements to get it to the point I can run the machine and grinder off one power board safely on a 10amp plug.

Few questions, obviously it will take longer to heat up my machine which I can live with, I'll just set my alarm earlier and get to site earlier. But are there any other things to consider? I mean the boiler is the same size so I'd get the same amount of steam and pressure etc
    Could I potentially run out of steam in peak trade? (Yes, pun intended) I would typically make around 200-250 coffees in a 5 hour period.
    Thanks in advance

TC
    It's a 20A machine. I'd think to take it back to 10A would render it unusable.
    Vinitasse likes this.

Essentially you want to make roughly one coffee every 90sec for 5 hours on a std domestic 10am plug. That doesn't sound very feasible.

Cheapest option would be to go buy some appropriate electrical cable, lay it yourself and hire an electrician to connect it in.

BFY
    It's in a mobile coffee cart and I am wanting to move away from the bulky heavy 8000w generator down to something like the small Yamaha unit. Would be nice to half the power being used and there's a big difference from a 8000w generator to a 4000w one.
    Plus not all the places we got have 15amp and it'll be great if we can plug in to a 10amp socket for an easier set up.
    I now a few do it but have smaller machines which in turn I guess have a smaller boiler which doesn't require as much heating up.

I agree with Chris and others above...

Trying to run a large boiler machine that's designed to overcome a certain value of losses in order to maintain reliable and consistent operation, i.e. 3.6KW will not be able to run satisfactorily at an input that would be nearly half this. Recovery time of the boiler after knocking up a handful of milk coffees will be awful and create delays for other people waiting in line for their orders. Not a good thing in a commercial situation...

Mal.
    Vinitasse and magnafunk like this.