Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By DustyRusty

Thread: Advice on getting rid of an HX. Descaling?

Advice on getting rid of an HX. Descaling?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Here's my story. I used to be a coffee nut - three double espressos to get me going. Can't seem to handle it anymore (nervousness, sleeplessness etc) so I cut it out a few years ago.

Shame coz I still love the taste. And I have a nice machine (La Nuova Era Cuadra)getting very little use. I turned it on after having it unused for a year and a half and when I started it again the pump broke because it had been unused for so long. $250 later.... And I think I'm going to get rid of it.

Do you guys have any advice on what I should do to get it ready to sell? I'll clean it up good obviously. But people also talk about descale. Is that necessary? It got used for about 2 years then no/very little use. How can I tell if it needs descaling?

Thanks for the help.

Check out the mushroom if it's a e61 group, this will give a good indication of scale level in the machine.

Don't forget the amazing decaf wow available at bean bay. Tastes great and no caffeine!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Check out the mushroom if it's a e61 group, this will give a good indication of scale level in the machine.

Don't forget the amazing decaf wow available at bean bay. Tastes great and no caffeine!

Cheers
    Thank you! I looked up what the mushroom was, and I'll have a look tonight. Big help.

I've seriously considered decaf, and while you can certainly get some great ones, it just doesn't feel right drinking it. Just like drinking beer with no alcohol. Decaf also has about 1/10 of the amount of caffeine of a normal coffee, as far as I understand, and when I have one, I tend to even feel that. Dunno what's wrong with me - super sensitive now.

View image: mushroom

Here's a picture of what I found. As I said I'm thinking I will sell the machine. Is this level of scale acceptable to sell or should I take it in to the tech to fix it?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyRusty View Post
    $250 later....
    For a just pump replacement?

I'd like to hope they did a full service- otherwise I'd be asking the service dude to justify the charges.

na it was a full service. pump, seals, clean etc. looks like no descale though!

TC
    That sounds better...

The level of scale appears relatively low- so not an issue at this stage...

So, I mentioned to a mate at work that I was selling the machine, and he was very interested in buying it. Has an auto machine he hates. He offered me $800 for it. It's a four year old La Nuova Era Cuadra. Although has only really had two years of use. New pump, low scale, recently serviced. I can't find any used ones for sale online, just new ones for around the $2100 mark. Any thoughts on whether his offer seems like a fair price? I don't want to rip the guy off, but I also want to get what it's worth. Would love your advice.

Do a search through the sold section here to see if any others have come up in the past. At the end of the day if you both agree then problem solved!

Cheers

TC
    So, I mentioned to a mate at work that I was selling the machine, and he was very interested in buying it. Has an auto machine he hates. He offered me $800 for it. It's a four year old La Nuova Era Cuadra. Although has only really had two years of use. New pump, low scale, recently serviced. I can't find any used ones for sale online, just new ones for around the $2100 mark. Any thoughts on whether his offer seems like a fair price? I don't want to rip the guy off, but I also want to get what it's worth. Would love your advice.
    Take the money and RUN!
    sprezzatura likes this.

View image: mushroom

Here's a picture of what I found. As I said I'm thinking I will sell the machine. Is this level of scale acceptable to sell or should I take it in to the tech to fix it?
    That's hardly any scale. Attached image (mushroom on far right) is considerable scale but still only a 7/10 - 10 being ludicrous, pull the mushroom out through scale with a big pair of Vise Grips.

Crikey!! How did the water get through in that machine? That's insane.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Crikey!! How did the water get through in that machine? That's insane.

Cheers
    It didn't - just a trickle out of two groups and none out of the third. No softening filter was ever used!

it's funny. I only ever used regular Sydney tap water, no filter (besides the one in the machine), no treatment. I used it for two years making 2-4 coffees a day. Mostly espressos but usually at least one milk one for my wife. It's never been descaled. I'm actually surprised the scale is so low considering that history.
    sprezzatura likes this.

Advice on getting rid of an HX. Descaling?

it's funny. I only ever used regular Sydney tap water, no filter (besides the one in the machine), no treatment. I used it for two years making 2-4 coffees a day. Mostly espressos but usually at least one milk one for my wife. It's never been descaled. I'm actually surprised the scale is so low considering that history.
    It's interesting and so localised or regional. Hard water in one town and 25 km away it's 250 ppm total hardness difference.