Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By medalbandit
  • 1 Post By sprezzatura

Thread: Expobar Megacrem vs 'Prosumer HX' machines

Expobar Megacrem vs 'Prosumer HX' machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    How do you see the Expobar Megacrem 1 group in terms of bang for the buck against more prosumer marketed machines like Rocket Giotto and Vibiemme Domobar? Does it have any outright advantages for home use? Anyone have any first hand experience with its temp stability, steam capability and reliability?
    Last edited by Melbroaster; 22nd May 2016 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    How do you see the Expobar Megacrem 1 group in terms of bang for the buck against more prosumer marketed machines like Rocket Giotto and Vibiemme Domobar? Does it have any outright advantages for home use? Anyone have any first hand experience with its temp stability, steam capability and reliability?
    The Megacrem has a rotary pump and has ... big counter presence. Steam good; reliable. Temp stability? Not without tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    It doesn't have an e61 though so pressure will come on fast and strong. That's its weakness.
    One could fit a small orifice gicleur if this became an issue...

Mal.
    sprezzatura likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    The Megacrem has a rotary pump and has ... big counter presence. Steam good; reliable. Temp stability? Not without tweaking.
    Sounds like this is the answer you need to listen to in my mind

The Megacrem is an entry level Commercial machine.
    It doesn't have an e61 though so pressure will come on fast and strong. That's its weekness.
    For home use I wouldn't consider it. I have sold lots for coffee vans, carts and small Cafes. That's what they are made for.
    That's interesting......for someone who has sold lots - you probably know already that the Expobar commercial machines have for a long time deployed a design similar to basic style of mechanical pre-infusion. A rather large cavity above the shower screen shaped like a dome that allows the initial flow of water to momentarily "buffer".

Was a low-cost design innovation about 10 years ago.....but the downside has been the rapid accumulation of rancid gunk inside of this dome resulting in more frequent backflushing and importantly the need to remove the screens & seals to clean properly with a bristle brush !

It's possible to pull good shots on these machines with the right flow restrictor installed combined with good grind & dose skills - much like it's possible to do so on most machines.

What the original poster left out of the question was the anticipated usage to accurately qualify any sort of comparison.
    Lukemc and sprezzatura like this.

Would like to be able to rapidly prepare large lattes when friends are over as well as nice espresso for me. Think of the tall takeaway cups in cafes for example. I know something like a gs/3 or linea mini would likely do it given the large steam boiler but am thinking of whether there would be a more affordable option with a great capacity for rapid steaming so was thinking of the Megacrem with its large boiler

TC
    FWIW, when I see a Megacrem, I see a commercial (never made a coffee before and have no training either) operation which wants the cheapest possible setup they can obtain along with the cheapest coffee. Why? They call me to purchase Megacrems! They then ask how many large lattes they can make with each kilo...I am yet to sell a Megacrem...

To be honest, I reckon you could do a whole heap better. If you want a 1 group commercial, you could look to the E-61 Ruggero 1GR compact, a Iberital Handi or IB7 or something similar.

You'd then have a home machine to be proud of and something which might have some resale value if you wanted to move it on.

I like Expobar commercials as they offer good bang for buck and they're robust....I just don't like them all....

TC
    Very true. They are bang for the buck winning commercial machines that are attractive for some commercial uses.
    This also comes with a "body kit". With the kit it's known as the Expobar Megacrem Ruggero.
    I reckon they're just the buck winners as you have to have bang to get a bang for buck award

I do rate the Rocket Espresso Boxer highly when it comes to bang for buck- but no 1GR in Oz- so doesn't meet the OP's brief....

Megacrem Ruggero = wannabe real E-61 Ruggero....

Thanks all for the advice!

I have to admit I didn't know that. Very interesting. Thanks for the info
    I remove the showers once every 3 months (2 for dark roasts) and scrub the bell diffuser and diffuser nut (brass) to clean the gunk. When they're really bad you can use a pick or screwdriver and chunks fall out.

3M green pad; cut into thirds or quarters gets in there and cleans it up quick.
    Lukemc likes this.