Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Rocket Premium Plus Giotto v1

Rocket Premium Plus Giotto v1

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello, I am in the market for my first espresso machine, I am hoping I can get some advice on to buy a 2nd hand machine or not. There is an auction here in NZ for - Rocket E61 Espresso Machine, Nemox burr grinder, 1 cup filter handle, 2 cup filter handle, knock box for used grinds, 2 x stainless steel jugs large & small, solid billet tamper, blind filter, milk thermometer, head cleaning brush - current price is $2k with buy now at $2.5. Any thoughts on if this is worthwhile or not? I was looking at a new ECM Technika but this might be a good step into the market for cheaper?

Regards

Grey

G'day Grey, I just checked out the auction you're talking about. My thoughts on your post are as follows: 1. Coffee Snobs is a predominantly Australian forum so most CS members might think that it's a bit overpriced. However the NZ market is quite different. New machines are more expensive and good second hand machines don't become available very often so they tend to fetch a premium price, especially outside the main centres. Put it this way, I've seen much older Rockets in worse condition with no grinder or extras at all sell for between $1500 and $2000. 2. You can never be sure, but all indications are that the machine has been very well cared for. It's been well maintained and regularly serviced according to the seller so this while it doesn't completely rule out the possibility it'll have a problem it certainly makes it less likely. 3. There's a good extras package with it. This doesn't necessarily add value, but if you're starting from scratch and don't have anything yet it's definitely handy. 4. The Nemox Lux is a useful little grinder, I know as I've had one myself. But to really get the best out of the machine you'll need to get a better grinder at some point. 5. There's only a handful of good machines on Trade Me at the moment. This is the most expensive, but probably the pick of the bunch. If it's affordable for you and in your local area so you can pick it up in person and hopefully get a demonstration then it's definitely worth serious consideration. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Cheers, Leroy PS. If you miss this one keep your eyes out for a Faema Charisma that's been listed a few times recently. It's not on there at the moment, but I don't think it was sold last time so might pop up again. The seller is in the BOP from memory and wants about $1500 for it which makes it quite a good deal.
    Dimal likes this.

I see, ok thanks Leroy. The seller is in my local neighbourhood I would be starting out from scratch so I thought the package might be a good deal, perhaps I should fire a lowball $1500 offer for just the machine and put the savings on a different grinder? Otherwise just wait for another one on Trade me I guess. The other one I was looking at was up in Auckland the Vibiemme Domobar Super with Rancilio coffee grinder for $2k.

Quote Originally Posted by gryghost View Post
    I see, ok thanks Leroy. The seller is in my local neighbourhood I would be starting out from scratch so I thought the package might be a good deal, perhaps I should fire a lowball $1500 offer for just the machine and put the savings on a different grinder? Otherwise just wait for another one on Trade me I guess. The other one I was looking at was up in Auckland the Vibiemme Domobar Super with Rancilio coffee grinder for $2k.
    Yeah I saw the Domobar Super too. The Domobar probably has superior build quality, but overall the Rocket listing is a better deal. I'm always wary of giving explicit advice, so please only take this as part of your consideration. If I was in your position I'd offer the seller of the Rocket $2100 'buy now' for the whole lot. I'd say I can pay and pick up asap, but would like a demo on the machine if possible. Then I'd see what happens. Even at $2500 it's reasonably priced, but if I could knock $100-200 off I would.
    Having the machine local is a real bonus. It means there's no freight to worry about and you can hopefully get a demonstration from the seller. Don't stress the grinder too much either. The Nemox is quite capable and is really easy to use so isn't a bad place to start. You'll get $100+ for it when you're ready to upgrade and you can put that towards something better.
    Make sure you let us know what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by gryghost View Post
    Hello, I am in the market for my first espresso machine, I am hoping I can get some advice on to buy a 2nd hand machine or not. There is an auction here in NZ for - Rocket E61 Espresso Machine, Nemox burr grinder, 1 cup filter handle, 2 cup filter handle, knock box for used grinds, 2 x stainless steel jugs large & small, solid billet tamper, blind filter, milk thermometer, head cleaning brush - current price is $2k with buy now at $2.5. Any thoughts on if this is worthwhile or not? I was looking at a new ECM Technika but this might be a good step into the market for cheaper?

Regards

Grey
    Welcome Grey, good to see another Hawkes Bay person on CS. +1 to what LeroyC said.