Thread: Faema E98 and VST Baskets

Faema E98 and VST Baskets

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello All,

I own a Faema e98 s1, and am looking to buy some new baskets and a bottomless portafilter. I have been told by one of the sponsors that VST baskets don't fit the a single group head Cimbali Junior due to the lip width of the baskets. However some of the older machines with a little wear are able to accomodate them. My machine is an older model, with nobs rather than buttons, and I would like to know whether others had experienced this issue and if I would have a good chance of accomodating the baskets given the age of the machine.

I used VSTs and a few other 58mm baskets on my Cimbali Jr. It was about 20 years old, the group handles were pretty well worn. Are you currently using 58mm baskets? I think the stockers are 57mm.

Faema E98 and VST Baskets

I had an E98 A1 (same Cimbali group) and as far as I can tell it's a standard 58mm group. I got a synesso double basket for it and have since used the same basket in a breville dual boiler, a Bezzera E61 and Alex E61 with no issues.

If you are using a naked then the height of the basket won't be an issue either. I am thinking they are referring to the height of the basket? Some of the early PFs had a rather rounded base with relatively short side walls, but obviously not an issue with a naked PF.

I also used 58mm breville and sunbeam baskets without any issues.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    I used VSTs and a few other 58mm baskets on my Cimbali Jr. It was about 20 years old, the group handles were pretty well worn. Are you currently using 58mm baskets? I think the stockers are 57mm.
    I am using an OEM 6910 double basket at the moment. Reading elsewhere on this forum I believe that it is 58mm?? Not around the machine at the moment to measure but I believe it is slightly larger than the Cimbali basket as a 6910 tamper does not fit past the ridge on the Cimbali basket

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    I had an E98 A1 (same Cimbali group) and as far as I can tell it's a standard 58mm group. I got a synesso double basket for it and have since used the same basket in a breville dual boiler, a Bezzera E61 and Alex E61 with no issues.

If you are using a naked then the height of the basket won't be an issue either. I am thinking they are referring to the height of the basket? Some of the early PFs had a rather rounded base with relatively short side walls, but obviously not an issue with a naked PF.

I also used 58mm breville and sunbeam baskets without any issues.

Cheers
    No, he was definitely referring to the lip size. Am also using a 6910 basket at the moment. Is it safe to say that if a 6910 basket fits then the VST will fit also?

I would say so. Are you saying the VST lip is different to other baskets or is it the PF lip?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    I would say so. Are you saying the VST lip is different to other baskets or is it the PF lip?

Cheers
    Hey Artman, just going on what I have been told. It is not the lip on the VST baskets that is different, rather the lip on the Cimbali baskets is a little tighter to suit that particular Cimbali head.

Oh ok. I have one or two of the older PFs (built in spouts) I can measure the ID if these for you.

Cheers

Thanks Artman, I appreciate the offer. From my limited understanding of this I think it is more to do with the group head size rather than the PF. I think they are (rightly) covering themselves because the VST baskets were not designed for use with a Cimbali, but I get the idea that the size is so close that sometimes they fit and sometimes not. Will now need to research what is the best quality baskets to suit a Cimbali head. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmmm weird. I would have thought it's a standard 58mm group?

I bought a synesso double (and triple) basket matched to tamper from Pullman years ago and have kept it as I have changed machines over the years.

The EP precision baskets seem to be an in between to the VST based on reports here.

The double basket from the 6910 sunbeam looks quite decent quality as well as the breville dual boiler baskets. Although both of these are slightly smaller capacity to the synesso double. I haven't seen the EP precision to compare.

I am sure any decent quality basket will be capable of great results with good technique.

Cheers

Just measured the ID of the Cimbali PFs, these are the old style ones where the spouts are screwed on with a couple of screws. ID = 61.2mm

Cafelat PF ID = 62.3mm

Alex Duetto PF ID = 62.2mm

Cheers

Thanks Artman, I'm getting the idea that the same issue exists with a lot of baskets compatibility with the Cimbali Junior head. Given the 6910 basket fit, will probably buy one VST Basket and hope that it also fits. Now just after a portafilter. Keen for a bottomless OEM Faema or Cimbali, but don't think they are made, does that leave a generic one as my only option?

I reckon you will be fine with the VST.

I just drilled the bottom out of mine to make it naked. Give coffeeparts a call, they might sell naked a for the E98 group.

Cheers

Will give it a shot, but will only buy one just incase. Get the idea that not many baskets are made to precisely fit these heads. Have been talking to coffeeparts, Pedro has been extremely helpful, all they have is p/n 521994 which he says "semi-fit". They do have a bottomless for an e98 but only generic brand, don't think Cimbali make them. Thanks for your help Artman, will let you know how I go in a few weeks.